Early post for Saturday, 10-18

debim3
on 10/14/08 9:41 pm - Roberts, WI
I'm posting early as I'll be out of town for a while.

There is just so much negativity in the world, in our communities and in our individual lives.  So, let's concentrate on the positive!

When you decided to have WLS what goal did you have in mind?  Was it a number on the scale, was it a health-related issue, was it a particular item of clothing, etc.?  And did you achieve that goal?  If you did, have you replaced that goal with a new one?  I think setting mini, achievable goals throughout life helps keep us positive and focused.

My goal was to get off the CPAP, and frankly to weigh 160.  I have achieved both, plus some.  I then set a goal to be off all meds.  Again, achieved.  Then to get to 140.  Again, achieved.  Now my goal is to maintain and not drop below 130, for the most part I'm doing that.  So, now I want to increase my exercising....this one I'm not doing as well as I'd like to do, but I keep plugging away at it.

HW 265 / SW 226.5 / CW 130.5 / GW 135

~ Robin ~
on 10/14/08 10:08 pm - Muskegon, MI
One of my goals was to feel healthy enough to play softball again. I love softball/baseball, and played a lot when I was younger. (I played catcher, at that. When I decided to have WLS, if I crouched down to catch, I'd never get up again! lol) I don't know if I will ever play in an organized team, but I'd like to!! Or, at the very least, be able to play with my kids!

But, of course, my ultimate goal was simply to be healthy, live my life to the fullest, and live to see my children grow up and their children grow up.

- I will learn to let go what I cannot change, but I will change whatever I can. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Have you taken your vitamins today? 

Laura110169
on 10/14/08 10:24 pm - Seymour, CT
My main reason for having WLS was to get healthy so I could enjoy my young children and husband and set a good example to them.

I always had fears (I was at 365# my highest) of dying from some weight related illness and I just had had enough and wanted to do something about it.

I excersize 5-days a week and feel GREAT.  I would like to reach my goal of 180#...but am struggling with that currently....but I will keep working toward that. 

Vanishing Vixen
on 10/15/08 6:59 am - NJ
I'm nine months out today!  Woot! 

When I had surgery, I set a goal of 150.  Then I saw my nut about five months out and she said 160 would be better.  I'm less than thirty pounds away!  Woohoo!

Highest: 315 ~ Surgery: 296 ~ Current: 177.8 ~ Goal: 165

jj_in_CA
on 10/15/08 9:33 am - Gualala, CA
I wanted my diabetes gone.  check
I wanted to be rid of my CPAP.   I lowered it 2 notches & have 3 more notches to go. :-)
I wanted to be able to kayak.  check
I wanted to be in better health, generally.  check
I didn't and don't have a goal weight in mind.  The doctor picked the one I'm using.  I have NO idea what I'll feel comfortable at.  :-)

---jan---
JustJean
on 10/15/08 12:45 pm - Ontario, CA
RNY on 08/25/06 with
I hope you're doing something fun, Debi! 

My driving force behind my decision to have WLS was my nephews - I had a four-year-old nephew that is the love of my life (next to my daughter), and then my sister had twin boys.  I could barely get up off the floor when I sat down with them, and knew that it wouldn't be long before I wouldn't be able to keep up with them at all.  I figured if I was going to continue to babysit for them as often as I did, I needed to lose weight.  I take them at least once a week now, and love my time with them.  One of the twins (now three) asks his mom every night if it's "date night" (my night with them), and when she says no, he says "dang it!".   I love that!!!  

Weight-wise, at my psyche evaluation, I told him I'd be "ecstatic" at 150 - I don't know why I pulled that number out of the air, but it sounded good.  I got there for awhile, and felt too thin!  My BMI says I'm at the high end of overweight right now, but I wear a size four.  I'm happy with anything between 153 and 157 (which I'm working back toward now!!)

My goal now is just to stay in my size fours - so when they get snug, I get serious again. 

Sat on the loser's bench 8-25-06!! 
High 334/PreOp 275/Curr 168

Made it to goal, then gained again...  working back to goal of 155!! 

The Lord doesn't require us to succeed, He only requires that you try - Mother Teresa

vivk1010
on 10/16/08 1:58 am - Greeley, CO
I just want a normal bmi, and now that I am getting closer, I want to be able to run a 5k. Working on it.
Vivienne

kmvanvliet
on 10/16/08 3:19 am - Manchester, NH
I didn't want to be the fattest lady in the room anymore - done.
I wanted to come off of my meds - done, well as far as a I can anyway.  My genetics are keeping me on some pills, but I'm off of everything I was on because of my excess weight.
I wanted to get out of plus size clothing - done.
I wanted to feel better generally - done.

I set my goal at 130, which my doc adjusted to 140.  My scale says I'm 140 now (I was 137 last week - ugh!), but the doc's scale will probably show me a few pounds heavier than mine.  In any event, I'm happy where I am right now.  I'm wearing size 8.  I'm also looking into plastics for the tummy and arms, so that will change if I have it done.
"I am not the skin I'm in, but the soul within."
Karen R.
on 10/16/08 9:55 am
Mine was to get into a size 12 done that now in 10's ,,,,........I want to just not gain right now since I had to have some fill removed Oct 2nd and I have had a small gain because I am starving so I will get the 1 cc back in Nov. I had heartburn bad from eatting the wrong thing and now its all better. So fill me up doc!!!!My next goal is to get below 160..

Karen

sallbu
on 10/16/08 1:30 pm - Cattaraugus, NY
My goal was to get healthy and off my medications and no longer have diabetes.  I have acheived all that.  I have not gotten to my personal goal of 160 lb and the way things are going may not ever get there.   I sometimes find it hard to stay positive when in the midst of a difficult time and old habits creeping back in.  

Thanks for the boost to keep things positive. 

Sally
Most Active
Recent Topics
SURGERY ANNIVERY COMING UP.
danette56 · 0 replies · 406 views
Olive Kids
knightwolf · 0 replies · 656 views
Protein shakes?
pgrorud · 3 replies · 850 views
Free Recipes
Mariah · 0 replies · 535 views