Daily Post--8/23/08

lea2be
on 8/23/08 2:45 am - LaBelle, FL
How do you train your mind to see the real you and not the MO you still??  Or, CAN you train your mind to do so?  LOL

Lovin' Life with Lea

Lea in WV   HW410/CW220/GW185   Proximal RNY 8/29/06
ObesityHelp Mini-Challenge Support Group Leader
CLICK HERE for discount codes for savings on various WLS-friendly products!

Vanishing Vixen
on 8/23/08 8:16 am - NJ
My mind goes both ways.  Sometimes, I see the skinnier me, and other times I still feel like the fat me.  If I stood next to someone who was wearing the same size pants, I'd think I was bigger.
Highest: 315 ~ Surgery: 296 ~ Current: 177.8 ~ Goal: 165

kmvanvliet
on 8/23/08 11:03 am - Manchester, NH
I agree with V V.  Sometimes I see the real me and sometimes I see the old me.  Maybe that's just my mind learning to see the real me, and someday, I won't see the old me anymore. 
"I am not the skin I'm in, but the soul within."
vivk1010
on 8/24/08 2:11 am - Greeley, CO
I am having a really hard time with this very thing. I was a 26-28 and just bought work out clothes in a 12 -14, it amazed me!!!!! My logical brain knows I am smaller, but when I try to move thru crowds I still worry about bumping people, and wondering if people are looking at me, because I still feel big.  I am hoping that with time my brain will catch up to the rest of me.
Vivienne

JustJean
on 8/24/08 6:28 am, edited 8/24/08 6:28 am - Ontario, CA
RNY on 08/25/06 with
I don't know that one can be trained to see yourself properly, but eventually, I think it just comes.  But, while thinking about this, it occurred to me - does ANYONE see the "real" person they are?  I don't think this is just an obesity issue - I think that most people have a perception of what they look like, and that's what they see - not necessarily what they really are.  For us, it just seems magnified because we've all changed so dramatically. 

Sat on the loser's bench 8-25-06!! 
High 334/PreOp 275/Curr 168

Made it to goal, then gained again...  working back to goal of 155!! 

The Lord doesn't require us to succeed, He only requires that you try - Mother Teresa

sallbu
on 8/24/08 10:57 am - Cattaraugus, NY

I guess the longer time goes by the more I see the thinner me then the MO me.  There are times when someone will say something about how nice I look and it is like I have to look around to see who they are talking to because I can't believe they would say something to me about "looking good".  

Sally

Shatcher
on 8/24/08 12:59 pm - Harrison, ME
I still struggle with this one on a regular basis.  So, I don't know if you can train your mind or not but it hasn't happened at 17 months out.

Stephanie

View Full Size Image

debim3
on 8/25/08 10:01 am - Roberts, WI
I've been struggling with this issue for a while now.  I still see myself as fat.  However, recently I've started to notice that I am thinner.  But I have issues with my body image.  I saw my surgeon last week and the guy is amazing.

He told me to quit comparing Debi now to Debi 20 years ago.  Compare Debi now to Debi from a year ago.  When I do that, I realize I am much smaller and even though I have some skin sagging issues, I look great compared to how I used to look.  I can hide my problem areas and couldn't before.
HW 265 / SW 226.5 / CW 130.5 / GW 135

Salsajo
on 8/25/08 11:13 pm - Hager City, WI
Like most people here, I see my self thinner at times and fatter at times.  I feel thin until I see a photo of me....then I think I look fat!!!
Jolene

jqx4
on 8/26/08 5:28 am - Rives Jct, MI
I don't know if the brain can be trained or not, but I have issues with this.  Sometimes I see a thin me and at other times I still see the MO me.      Jules

Most Active
Recent Topics
SURGERY ANNIVERY COMING UP.
danette56 · 0 replies · 407 views
Olive Kids
knightwolf · 0 replies · 656 views
Protein shakes?
pgrorud · 3 replies · 854 views
Free Recipes
Mariah · 0 replies · 536 views