Yoga

chassibi
on 6/1/16 7:43 am

I'm thinking of starting Yoga at a local studio a couple of mornings a week soon. My question is: at what weight will I be comfortable doing the poses, etc?

I'm currently at 225, I was thinking when I'm around 200, I will have lost enough (75#) to really be more flexible. BTW, I'm doing this to add flexibility, for stress relief and to tone, not to lose weight. I'm of the school of thought that diet is what will influence my weight loss. But I want to feel good and have more energy, plus my job/home life all stacks up to be pretty stressful with 5 kids, so I thought yoga would be a good outlet for that as well.

Thoughts?

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

GooseGirl
on 6/1/16 12:50 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

A good instructor will be able to modify all the poses for any weight or flexibility level. I was doing yoga at 225 (and higher) and really enjoyed it. I think the sooner you start the better off you are. It is one of my favorite activities... as much for the mental benefits as any of the physical ones. 

supershopper
on 6/1/16 7:15 pm

Yoga places will provide modifications for you- the one I go to states that yoga should be for everyone, regardless of size, age etc.

I've been going for a little over a month- mine has many different classes- so it it is good to go to different types. if there is a beginners I would start there- it teaches the basic poses and how to breathe.

My favorites are restorative yoga and alignment yoga. My unlimited month is over so now I'm just going to the free ones this month- (plus a few others that I will suck up and pay for). Ours is a teachers studio also so she trains yoga teachers.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

NorthernStar
on 6/6/16 12:51 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Yoga poses are extremely modifiable. Every pose can be modified, or another pose subbed in. As you develop your practice and get more comfortable with different poses, you'll be able to modify on your own.

I suggest going in to your first class and just doing your best. If there's anything you're uncomfortable with, talk to your instructor afterwards and they will be able to help you modify anything. Some poses can be trickier if you have loose skin/tummy/etc but it can all be worked around.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

cnanny
on 6/7/16 8:32 am

I currently weight 301lbs and I take a yogalates (yoga and pilates mix) on Mondays and pilates on Wednesdays.  You can definitely do it sister! And like others have said, a good instructor will show you modifications!

Kaitegirl424
on 6/11/16 7:38 am
RNY on 05/06/16

I tried yoga for the first time at 260 - 280 pounds and 6 mnths pregnant with my son. My instructor was incredible and very knowledgable about different poses or modifications for different bodies and situations. At 225 I think you should have no problem at all, I wish you all the best! I can't wait to try yoga again, my Dr said I need to wait until I am at least 3 months out from surgery though because the abdominal muscles need to be fully healed before stretching them.

Happy Stretching!  :)

LovisaKarlsson
on 6/24/16 6:41 am

Yoga increases flexibility and reduces stress. Yoga can also lower your blood pressure. Yoga is good for overall health. It is a practice which control individual mind, body and soul as well. The benefit of doing yoga is a healthy and balanced life.

mynameisprl321
on 6/28/16 9:22 pm

Yoga is an amazing method to increase your mental and physical health. Weight is not a factor for practicing it. Yoga can do any poses with the help of an expert instructor. It will help you to get rid of all your stress. 

Most Active