Leg cramps

sharyn_pear
on 7/5/06 4:24 pm - Australia
Hello, I had lapband surgery on June 20th and two weeks out thought it's about time I do some walking. What I am finding is walking at any rate or distance provokes pretty much an instant feeling that I am going to get cramp in my calf muscles. It's ok if I walk backwards - but the dog looks at me like I am mad. I used to go to the gym and walked pretty fast on the treadmill with no problems at all. So, does anyone know if this will resolve with time? I was thinking maybe I could go to the gym and just do some light weight training? Any advice welcomed, thanks, Sharyn
JeremyGentles
on 7/8/06 11:38 pm - Johnson City, TN
Sharyn, One simple thing to try prior to walking is simply stretching your calves. If you have been primarily sedentary unitl now, and you have recently started a walking program, you are probably just out of shape (calves included). I know it seems that doing something you do all the time like walking should not do this, but generally speaking you walk faster and/or more intensly when you are doing it for exercise. Stretch prior to and atfer walking. Your level of fitness should gradually increase and the cramps should go away. Let me know if it does not improve over time. Jeremy Gentles, CSCS ObesityHelp Professional
sharyn_pear
on 7/9/06 5:58 pm - Australia
Thanks for your response Jeremy. I used to walk on the treadmill at the gym almost to jogging point. This is a new problem since wls but I will stretch more and see if that helps. It's just really annoying! Sometimes it happens from a sitting position to standing too.
Earl C.
on 7/10/06 1:29 am - Circleville, OH
Hi Sharyn, I agree with Jeremy that stretching is very important. I stretch before and during workouts. Sometimes starting slow and build in the speed and stride is a good warmup for walking. Also right after surgery I took a lot of little walks like 7 or 8 walks a day and built up to a longer walk but did less of them. There are lot of unknowns about you and what you're doing, so it's hard to figure out what the cause might me. You're only 20 days out of surgery. You may be doing a little too much, too soon or have poor circulation in your lower legs. Not being hydrated can cause cramps so get your water and take some with you to sip on your walks. Deficiencies in some minerals can cause cramps too. Take a good multivitamin/mineral supplement, but potassium loss can cause cramps (I know that was a issue for me.) and a little extra potassium might stop the cramps. Powerlifters will reach for a banana to replenish potassium when the cramping sets in. Just keep going, it will get better with time. Baby steps. Walking is the best thing for you right now. Maybe try walking in a heated pool. And btw...walking backward is a great exercise to rehab the knee and thigh area. Never waver, never quit. Earl
sharyn_pear
on 8/5/06 8:06 pm - Australia
Thanks for your reply Earl. For whatever reason the problem resolved on its own. I did however start taking a multi vitamin once a day. I dunno... but its nice to walk forwards again LOL
Earl C.
on 8/6/06 7:53 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Sharyn, Glad to hear that cramps are gone. I used to have major cramps all over my body. Not fun especially when you're sleeping. I don't seem to cramp as much anymore. Must be the shoes. Earl
Most Active