Selfish mother..need to vent!

serenadawn76
on 9/14/10 12:58 am - Vacaville, CA
I have been holding this in since last Friday! Ok, so I have been on this journey of mine since June. I decided to have Roux N-Y gastric bypass surgery and worked my butt off all summer to accomplish all my pre-op stuff....20 pound weight loss, get the blood pressure down, have a pap smear done, go to surgery prep and nutrition classes, see the shrink, take fish oil to get the cholesterol down,etc. The list is just endless!  At the beginning of all of this, my mother was adamant about being my NUMBER ONE support person. She said she'd go to all the classes with me, be there in any way that I needed. Fast forward a couple months, and she has been to ONE consultation and still has not made the time to read any of the literature I've given her. I have made copies of stuff from my nutrition classes and printed out anything I could about this surgery so she'd be informed. I mean, come on! If you're gonna be a support person in all of this then don't you kinda have to be informed?! But this is actually not the most upsetting thing. This past Friday was the day I finally got my surgery date! October 6th at 1 pm! I was so excited...and as you guys know, getting this date is a HUGE deal. I had been on pins and needles for the last few weeks just waiting and finishing up the last of my requirements. So I hung up with the surgeons office and immediately called my mother to share the news. My sister answers the phone and I tell her and she's happy,blah blah blah. I hear my mother almost immediately say, "Ugh. That's when Jim's brother is coming to visit." Jim is her boyfriend and his family is coming in from Wisconsin for a visit the week of the 6th. Then she gets on the phone and she doesn't even sound that excited. The ENTIRE focus of the conversation was all about these plans of hers. October 6th is a perfect date for me. I have to do what works for my life! My son's 10th bday is in December and we have travel plans for Thanksgiving, so this timing is wonderful!  I could feel my blood boiling as the conversation went on. She knows and has seen the things I've had to do for this surgery! I guess I'm really just hurt at this point. And disappointed. As you guys know, making the decision to do this is a huge step and it becomes quite the journey and is all-consuming. Just NOT what I expected from my "main support person". People never cease to amaze me, family most of all. 

maricruzsi
on 10/23/10 9:35 am, edited 10/26/10 11:58 am
By the time you read this you have already gone through surgery. How are you doing, hope well. I know how you feel. One gets excited & is need to share with others regarding the material about surgery, consultations, videos, picture, etc. And believe me I know how you feel, my support person is my husband and he's like your mother no excitement or support on his end whatsoever. The only thing I can tell you is press forward even though you feel alone at times.  And don't let anyone take power over you. Don't mean to sound religious, but seek God for strength and direction. If you ask for anything in his name he will give you the desires of your heart.  The only acceptance that matters is that of your son. It's a blessing that you got the surgery.... now you will be there more for your son.  Forgive your mom and continue loving her.  Sometimes the people we love can disappoint us. Now that you have incurred a new journey go forward and don't look back. Also, forget about this past incident you have other things to worry about and that will be require more energy and more of your time. Best of luck. For what it's worth............I am totally proud of what you've done, now live it! God Bless!
Most Active