FAILED SURGERY

Dee C.
on 2/10/04 12:44 am - Santee, CA
I had an open surgery with Dr. Potts on Jan. 22, 2004. He made to accidental openings into the top portion of my stomach. He admitted to his mistakes and told me that he wasn't sure if he made the openings with his tools or his fingers. He also told me that I might be able to have the surgery again in 4 to 6 months. I have to tell you folks that this was one hell of a painful surgery and the complications are too many to mention. I have been going through severe depression now that affects me in everything I do. It has been nothing short of a nightmare! I just wanted new people to know that mistakes can happen, but some doctors have more mistakes than others. I have been contacted by many people that have had surgery with Dr. Potts that have also had failed surgerys, or surgerys riddled with complications. Please be very careful with picking a doctor to perform this life saving surgery!!! I studied this surgery for over a year, but I took very little time accepting a doctor. I just wish I would have studied the doctor as much as the surgery! Good luck everyone, Dee
cocoatee
on 2/11/04 9:22 am - philadelphia, pa
Hello I am sorry to hear that your surgery was not successful, but please don't give up because you know how long a process this is, just try to find a competent surgeon and get all the informaton you need about him before and you should be okay. good luck Natasha
glfromast
on 2/22/04 11:08 pm - patchogue, ny
Hello, I am soooooo sorry to hear this. I hope you are planning a lawsuite. I know I would be. This was a HUGE "mistake" he made, reguardless of if it was made my his finger or instument. And now you might have to go through another surgery, I would def. contact my lawyer. I hope everything works out. Best Wishes, Gloria
KathieInHawaii
on 3/9/04 6:58 am - Ewa Beach, HI
Dee, My heart goes out to you! I can't even begin to imagine the anguish you must have gone through and are still going through. Trust me. When you do have the right surgeon, this tool is so incredibly effective. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that you find a surgeon the second time that is fabulous and that your recovery is very speedy. I know of a terrific surgeon in Texas who handles lots of revisions if you are interested. He has been doing this surgery for many years and is highly thought of by other bariatric surgeons and all his patients. Bless you, Kathie in Hawaii (Open RNY 08/07/02, down 190 pounds)
z3rusty
on 3/15/04 2:40 pm - Tarpon Springs, FL
You have suffered. FYI: I'm RNY 9-4-03. Dr. G. Derek Weiss and Dr. Oldham at the Bariatrics Center of the Georgetown Community Hospital in Georgetown, KY, do only laporoscopic RNY WLS, thus far without surgical mishaps. Postops have weekly support groups where nothing is withheld. We have had swollen stomas that were dilated open (painless but necessary), a patient who suffered an ulcerated pouch due to severe family crises, lots of mistakes we make as we re-learn to eat, but no surgeon mishaps. You might want to try them! 502-867-6809 Telephone Good luck to you! Don't give up. You will make it. Sparkle
Pat Bell
on 4/22/04 3:35 am - Southeast, GA
You make a very good point. The surgeon you choose is the most important step of this process. There are many doctors performing this procedure on people as they learn how to do the surgery. Pre-ops make sure the doctor has done 250-300 wls and ask about statistics on the number of surgeries, number of mortalities and number of serious complications before you choose a surgeon. I can't imagine waking up to hear the news you got. It had to be devastating. Best of luck to you.
losin it F.
on 2/20/05 1:55 pm - Fremont, CA
Hi Dee, I just wanted to send you a ((((HUG))) for what you have and are still going through. I'm only 3 1/2 months out so far, but I wanted to tell you of an excellent surgeon in Beverly Hills, CA. I live about 600 miles from there, but traveled to see him. I've talked to many post-op pts of his and none had problems with a failed WLS. He does lap and rny, he has done revisions, too. He's on this website, it's Dr. Narzarian (liv-lite). I highly recommend him! If you are looking for a new surgeon, check him out on OH. Good luck and I hope all gets taken care of FAST!!! I know words can't heal what you are feeling, but know there are people out there who care, Kari
Most Active