Recent Posts

heather.lisco
on 11/27/04 10:54 pm - New Albany, IN
Topic: RE: Anyone Do Online school?
I'm currently working on my B.S. in Business with Finance emphasis. I do all online classes through Kaplan University. I have had a wonderful experience with them overall. The only problem that I have had is with their financial aid department. They tried to give me the runaround, not knowing that I am Financial Aid Director at another college. After I told them that, things got markedly better!
WYMSYKLE
on 11/14/04 7:58 am - Yucaipa, CA
Ruschell, I take online classes at University of Maryland University College. Great Social Science Program. I'll be getting my Bach. in Social Science at December of 2005. Look into them when you complete your A.A. They are rated as one of the best online undergrad programs Internationally. They also have a large contract with the military so you know they are good. I know this is kind of an old post, but it caught my eye. I hope you are still on the board. Margie
saderman
on 10/28/04 11:53 am - Arlington, TX
Sure this reply is LATE - better late then never, right? I am working on my Masters in Special Education on line through Grand Canyon University. I really enjoy it - it gives me the freedom to teach during the day and learn on my own schedule! -Sherrie
Ashley S.
on 9/19/04 5:13 am - Anywhere, US
Topic: RE: AFRICAN AMERICN WOMAN..VENTING..SPEAKING OUT!
Hi, As an African-american woman, I understand everything you've said here, and can relate to about 85% of it. I know the board is "uneven" in terms of having faces we can all relate to. In their hearts I'm sure they believe that the issue is WLS and not race or culture. I've run into this mind-set as well, and it is unfortunate, especially when they won't -can't-see that sometimes what we get and don't get is not a result of our attitude or education, but simply one of visual acuity. They see color and react accordingly. I have a friend who is a well-known cardiologist - and has been honored publicly across the U.S. who will tell you that being a black in the cardiology field is met with the same issues all the time. He used to spend alot time trying to educate, but finally decided that he was a cardiologist and wouldn't let anyone affect that mindset. He still hears the crap, but he keeps on walking. For people of color, that's what we have to do - keep on walking, which is what I suggest to you. Stop trying to educate those who are not ready to learn. You've written this long, angry letter. You say that you make people uncomfortable by "being real." Being real isn't cramming anger down someone's throat. Being real is confessing what your anger letter is saying behind the noise - that you're hurt by the ignorance of others. I'm not putting you down, because frankly, I know that if I were to walk out the door of my house right now, it wouldn't be an hour before someone said something that was socially, culturally disrespectful to me. I know this because of the area I live in. Some would say that's why I'm trying to lose weight - not true. Some would say that I want to fit in with the beautiful people - not true. I want to lose the weight so that I can look at myself, feel better, and so that I can keep walking and be who I'm supposed to be in Christ. That being said, I'm sorry you've experienced this. We all know what it means to be treated badly because we're different. Others of us, know all too keenly how different "difference" can be when you're dealing with doctors, lawyers, anyone who doesn't know how to love with the love of Christ. Remember the Wall called Life. Everyone sees the wall, and they know they have to get on the other side of that wall. Some will only have to knock and the door will be opened for them; others will climb over it, dig under it, or try to find a way around it. The decision you make when dealing with this Wall will determine not only your character, but your willingness to understand the purpose of the Wall, and the benefit to be found on the other side. Blessings, Johanna
PAMELA B.
on 8/31/04 5:16 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA
Topic: AFRICAN AMERICN WOMAN..VENTING..SPEAKING OUT!
AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE.... I'M COMING FROM THE HEART AND I'M KEEPING IT REAL...... NOT LOOKING FOR A HANDOUT..OR A PAT ON THE BACK...... ME AND GOD ARE WORKING IT OUT! I RECENTLY CAME BACK TO THIS WEBSITE AFTERWHICH I HAD SPENT ALMOST 2YEARS TRYING TO HAVE MY SURGERY, AND WAS UNSUCCESSFUL, BURNT OUT, ANGRY AND DEPRESSED. I TOOK SOME TIME OFF TO REGROUP AND OBTAIN A MORE POSITIVE ATTITUDE. AND, CONTINUED TO RESEARCH "BYPASS SURGERY". I RECENTLY SECURED FROM THIS WEBSITE INFORMATION CONCERNING SURGEONS INTHE PENNSYLVANIA AREA. AFTERWHICH, I PROCEEDED TO CONTACTING 15 SURGEONS OFFICES IN THE AREA TO GET AN APPOINTMENT DATE ETC... WHEN I COMPLETED THIS TASK I POSTED MY FINDINGS ON THE MAIN MESSAGE BOARD AS WELL AS THE PENNSYLVANIA'S MESSAGE BOARD.... WELL PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION, SUCH AS I STATED IN MY POSTING. BUT, TO BE INSULTED AND ASSAULTED WORDS COMING FROM PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT THEY NEEDED TO CALL ME OUT MY NAME TELLING ME TO STAY "FAT" ALSO SUGGESTING "I WAS LOOKING FOR A HANDOUT" THREATENING ME WITH INSULTING WORDS WHICH SEEMINGLY WAS SOME TYPE OF TACTIC TO SCARE ME OFF OF THIS WEBSITE ETC... I BECAME "PISSED OFF" AND NOT FOR THE REASON YOU MAY BE THINKING. EACH OF US HAVE A RIGHT TO OUR OPINIONS, BUT, TO DISRESPECT ME CONCERNING MY OPINION WAS NOT AND WILL NEVER BE ACCEPTABLE. THIS IS "AMERICA"! IF THE TRUTH BE TOLD, THERE SEEM TO BE SOME OVERTONE OF PREJUDICENESS AND A OUTBREAK OF RACIAL SLURS UNDERMINDLINGLY BEING STATED! OH! ONE OTHER THING I FORGOT TO MENTION; MANY OF THE PERSONS RESPONDING TO ME WERE PERSONS THAT HAVE HAD THE SURGERY AND HAVE SEEMINGLY "FORGOTTEN WHERE THEY CAME FROM: MEANING: "LACKING COMPASSION FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE STILL IN THE LINEUP"! MEANING IT WAS JUST PROBABLY A FEW DAYS AGO, A FEW MONTHS AGO, A FEW YEARS AGO, THAT THEY WERE IN MY POSITION STILL BATTLING THIS ILLNESS AND HAVE BEEN GIVEN A SECOND CHANCE TO LIVE AND NOW THEY BECOME HEARTLESS ETC... ONE OF THE RESPONSES I RECEIVED STATED: "JUST STAY FAT". HAVE PEOPLE LOST THEIR MINDS? DO YOU KNOW THE PAIN I HAVE ENDURED WITH THIS ILLNESS? DO YOU KNOW THE JOBS I'VE NOT BEEN GIVEN (AND I AM COLLEGE DEGREED) REASON BEING: 1). I WAS AFRIACAN AMERICAN 2. 300LBS AND 5'11 I'M ALSO AN ACCOMPLISHED SINGER AND CAN REALLY SING! BUT, OSTERSIZED BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT ON MANY OCASSIONS NOT TAKEN SERIOUSLY BECAUSE AMERICA SEES "OBESITY" AND THE "OBESE" HUMAN BEING AS A "JOKE" AND SO WE'RE SUPPOSE TO WALK AROUND BEING FUNNY ALL THE TIME AND WILLING TO ACCEPT THE STIGMATATION THAT "FAT" EQUALS FUNNY" "HUMEROUS". I COULD GO ON AND ON CONCERNING THIS PLIGHT... BE CLEAR ON THIS...I'VE TAKEN OPPORTUNITYS AND RAN WITH THEM TO BECOME SUCCESSFUL AND BE THE BEST I CAN BE! I'VE PAID A HIGH PRICE! SO I KEEP IT REAL AND THAT MAKES PEOPLE UNCOMFORTABLE. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO STATE MY FINDINGS AND STATE HOW IT AFFECTED ME BASED UPON MY EXPERIENCE. ANOTHER CONCERN: IT'S QUITE INTERESTING THAT WHEN I WENT TO THE PAGE ON THIS WEBSITE THAT HAD A PICTURE OF THOSE PERSONS WHO WORK BEHIND THE SCENES AS A TEAM...NO PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE REPRESENTED I COULD BE WRONG. I EMAIL THE DIRECTOR OF THIS WEBSITE INQUIRING AS TOO WHY THERE WAS NO REPRESENTATION A MONTH AGO ETC.... NO RESPONSE! I ALSO VOLUNTEERED FOR TWO POSITIONS POSTED AND SENT ANOTHER EMAIL ASKING TO BE GIVEN ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AS TO HOW YOU GET STARTED IN THE POSITIONS FOR WHICH I VOLUNTEERED ETC..... NO RESPONSE! AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST; WHERE IS MY ANGEL? IT'S A NEW DAY! I AM GOING TO LIVE AND NOT DIE! TIME OUT FOR PUSHING THINGS UNDER THE RUG! SOMEONE MUST SPEAK OUT! AND I WILL! THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY THOUGHTS AND YOUR RESPONSE IS WELCOMED! RESPECTFULLY... MS. POSITIVE 2004
StooksLady
on 5/31/04 2:58 am - Huntsville, AL
Topic: GLBT WLS Group for Huntsville, Alabama and Surrounding Areas
GLBT WLS Group for Huntsville, Alabama and Surrounding Areas Everyone, Just a reminder! Regarding the Rainbows of Hope Weight Loss Surgery Support group's next meeting... it will be June 1st at 7 p.m., MCC Huntsville, 3015 Sparkman Drive. :: Rainbows of Hope is for anyone, but most especially for those in the Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Trandgender community (and their partners), who have had, are planning to have, or are thinking about having weight loss surgery/bariatric surgery. We've had such wonderful meetings thus far, that I look forward to them each month. I encourage any of you considering this type surgery to come take part. I especially encourage any of you that have had the surgery, to come by and give support as well as get it. Share your experiences with those who have not had the procedure. Help us be more informed on what to expect. After all, it's all about support, right? That's Tuesday, June 1, 2004, at 7 p.m., at the Metropolitan Community Church of Huntsville. For directions,just call the church office, Tuesday-Friday, 12 noon - meeting time; (256) 489-3714. Hope to see you there!
coachjeffcadwell
on 4/10/04 6:03 am - Tustin, CA
Kathy M.
on 2/3/04 5:11 am - Denver, CO
Hi Ruschell -- a few years ago I returned to school to get a masters in educational technology. In this program I focused on online learning. I have taken online classes and also designed them. I really believe this is a great way to learn. The format forced me to get more involved in the course than I would have in a regular classroom. I'm so glad you like your online class! Best wishes, Kathy Marcel PS My sister used to live in Bakersfield about 12 years ago. I really enjoyed it everytime I visited her.
Ruschell
on 1/24/04 2:42 am - Fontana, CA
Topic: Anyone Do Online school?
I love my online class....I attend Cerro Coso school located in Bakerfiled C.A. My major right now is A.S. in social science! Ruschell Dawson
Joyce H.
on 5/30/03 10:48 am - Hutchinson, KS
Topic: RE: ObesityHelp Magazine is waiting for you!
I've tried repeatedly to place my credit card order, but have been unsuccessful. I was finally able to reach Nikki at 866-746-6538, and she said for me to contact [email protected]. Lissa is the person who can take credit card orders over the telephone. I've emailed her, and am now waiting to hear back.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Help! need some experience
catmray · 0 replies · 398 views
New to Board, Homeschooling Mom
S. M. · 0 replies · 376 views
literature review question!
alanwood12 · 2 replies · 591 views