Long limb revision surgery

chinadol262
on 1/16/23 10:47 am - IL

Hello all I am curious to here results from people that have had the long limb revision surgery. I had the open RNY 20 Years ago and now getting read to do the long limb revision on Feb 20th. Also I am doing a 2 week liquid clear diet before the surgery. How did you all do for that and how much weight did you lose? Thank you for any info.

Geneane

colliemom57
on 2/19/23 3:59 pm
Revision on 02/02/23

Hi. I had Rny in 2010. Lost 80 lbs and gained back due to poor habits. I just had the Long Limb revision done 2 weeks ago. My pouch size was ok so the surgeon did not modify that or the outlet. I had to do 1 week low carb and 1 week clear liquids prior to surgery. I lost maybe 5 pounds during pre-op diet. During the second week I lost nothing due to low calories. Since surgery I have progressed from full liquids for 4 days to soft foods and at 2 weeks was given the ok for full diet. My new intestines do NOT like vegetables so far and really have to watch the fat content. Since we do not digest as much as before you will quickly learn what to eat and what not to eat. I have lost 9 lbs since surgery. I lost 20 during pre-op (4 months) just from logging and paying attention. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Carol

pattyLynnTrish
on 2/22/23 1:31 pm

Best Wishes,

I just had my surgery this Monday, February 20th, same as top message, I replied to. The question, how much, and how fast? It's newer to me, since last fall, checking the blogs, for regain, and seeing revisions, started research, and former clinic, 20 plus yrs ago.

On 2 week shake only, lost 2-3 lbs. I just weighed this morning, OUCH! The hospital weight was the same as home, before surgery, and I gained 6 lbs! No food for 2 1/2 days. Lol I figured all the IV fluids, and just confirmed it this morning, with my 1st phone appointment, with a RN Bariatric Nurse, when she called. We will see. Water, broth, sugar free jello, certain waters with goodies, or calories, and 1 protein shake a day! For 1st week.

Best Wishes.

colliemom57
on 2/24/23 5:38 pm
Revision on 02/02/23

I am now 3 weeks post op and have not lost anything this week. I know stalls happen but didn't expect one this quick. Will soldier on and follow the diet. I have increased my walking so I am hoping for more rapid weightloss soon.

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 2/24/23 6:20 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Yep, they absolutely do! My surgery wasn't a revision but it took me five days to start losing and my first stall was at just over two weeks. Now I'm stalling for an average of three weeks a month, followed by bursts of losing. Our bodies do weird things to adapt. Congrats on your revision. Stay the course, follow the plan...the loss will come!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

pattyLynnTrish
on 2/25/23 12:25 pm

Dang, I am feeling your pain, in those words! Hang in there, frustration, body shock, I read another blog similar your weeks stretch, hers plummeted all at one! Hopefully today!

Since my home weigh in, was the same as the hospital weigh in, Monday, surgery day, I have now dropped -5 lbs. Not including my weight gain, after surgery (water) weight gain, out of the hospital, but from pre-weight. I need to remind myself not to get into weighing myself to much. I like most, are to mood/food driven, by the scale.

And dang I'm hungry! I'm sick of jello, don't like broth, have my 1 shake a day, crushed/blended into, a pretty yummy slushy drink per day, it just doesn't stick with me. IVE always been a water, and coffee drinker, and still am, but after my original (RNY), my hunger stayed away, for some time, this being intestine only, I could rip the frig racks out! But doing as told, and don't want to chance ripping anything out!!!!!

Keep us posted, hoping for a big drop. You drinking enough water?

Patty MN original RNY 2003 NEW (Distalization Surgery) Similar (DS) February 20, 2023

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 2/24/23 6:23 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Just want to say congrats on your surgery! From what I've read here (and experienced) it's super common to gain from the surgery from all the fluids. It's good to ignore the scale for a bit if you can!

You're on your way!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

pattyLynnTrish
on 2/22/23 1:15 pm

Geneane, How are you feeling, I had mine the same day!

You sound just like me, to a T, and also had the Open RNY 20 yrs ago, and had (50)-70 regain, as agem meds, injuries, slow intestines, tried hard 1 yr. to lose only a few pound loss. Limited exercise try to get metabolic up, etc.

I restarted former clinic last fall, to check into a revision, D.S. or ? I'd read about. I went through all papers, visits,tests, and was approved my revision, it's called a (Robotic Assisted DISTILAZATION). Similar to D.S., and sounds like what your saying. They cut below the Y, (Jejuli)?and connected the small intestine down further, bypassing like half, or more, and attaching it lower, toward the end. The intestinal juice meets much lower down closer to the ending, thus "Fast Track", less food caloric, and vitamin obsorption. I describe things awful!

I just got out of the hospital yesterday! Surgery was Monday, the 20th same as you. Lol

I also was on protein shakes for 2 weeks prior, and now even though not a new RNY or Sleeve, am following the full, exact diet as a new surgury. I only lost 2 lbs, during the 2 weeks of shakes, and weighed this morning, and gained 6 lbs! Lol I had my 1st RN call/visit this morning, and figured it was all the fluids, IV, from 10: Monday, till 2:30 yesterday, before release. RN said fluids.

Keep in touch, as I want to hear as well. I was told around 60% wright loss, and read the same as well. How about your clinic?

Best Wishes.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 721 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views