Switch from Gastric Sleeve to either a SADI-S or DS - pros and cons?

Desari63
on 8/2/21 12:54 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Hello all - I'm going to Juarez in September for either the SADI-S or DS as a revision to my Gastric Sleeve. I would like to hear the pros and cons to either or both surgery revisions if there are any out there!!!

Thanks in advance!

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

Jmm4321
on 8/2/21 6:44 pm

I can only speak to Sadi which I had about 7 years ago. I needed to lose about 120lbs and had a few criteria: 1- Lose ALL the excess weight, 2) Keep it off, 3) Be able to eat normally 4) Minimize risk and side effects.

So far all are good and I a lot healthier than I thought was possible for me.

Desari63
on 8/3/21 7:57 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Jmm - Thanks for the information. I have been told this surgery is a no-brainer and that I should be able to keep ALL the excess weight off with either of these. If not, I'm not doing something right..LOL!

I don't need to lose 100 pounds - I'd look sick if I did that but I do want to be down to at least 145-150 and they said with either of these, they are doable.

Wish me luck and I'll be back!

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

Janet P.
on 8/7/21 3:41 am
On August 3, 2021 at 2:57 PM Pacific Time, Desari63 wrote:

Jmm - Thanks for the information. I have been told this surgery is a no-brainer and that I should be able to keep ALL the excess weight off with either of these. If not, I'm not doing something right..LOL!

I don't need to lose 100 pounds - I'd look sick if I did that but I do want to be down to at least 145-150 and they said with either of these, they are doable.

Wish me luck and I'll be back!

Barbara

Not sure which ticker is correct but are you really 40 pounds from goal? Sorry but the DS is not a no brainer surgery.

Please make sure that the surgeon you're going to has extensive experience with the DS/SADI (sorry I really don't know what the difference is between the two). My DS was 18+ years ago and it takes work. I've been at goal since my initial weight loss and yes, with the DS, it's easy to maintain the loss (that's why I chose it over the bypass or sleeve). It takes work and commitment to vitamins, supplements, eating right, and monitoring labs since the DS has malabsorption that you've never dealt with with the VSG.

Whatever you choose, confirm the surgeon has experience and gives you statistics.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Desari63
on 8/8/21 11:56 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Thank you for your input - no brainer is not the word I would have used either but I do understand what they mean when they say it. I had my sleeve for a lot 11 years and have been able to keep most of the weight off for some time. It's just been the last 4 year or so that it's been creeping back up and with my medical history, that really doesn't help matters any! I am doing the work with my sleeve but just need a little more help and I'll be okay. I'm already on vitamins and supplements due to my history so keeping that up will not be an issue at all. I have a PCP that keeps me on my toes and monitors EVERYTHING and so does my cardiologist.

Barbara McKeown

White Dove
on 8/7/21 6:57 am - Warren, OH

The sleeve is the first part of the DS. Having a full DS as the first weight loss surgery has resulted in the most weight loss for most patients. Adding the switch means rerouting the intestines on a patient who was not successful with the sleeve. That does not normally result in the amount of weight loss that happens with a "virgin" DS.

Years ago, we had a very active DS group on this board. People posted about their success with DS. They claimed to eat huge amounts of food and were happy with their weight, but many still were 25, 30, 40 or more pounds over their surgeon's goal weight for them.

There is not a no-brainer surgery where you get to goal and maintain without putting in the work on your diet and exercise.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Desari63
on 8/8/21 11:53 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

No kidding on the no-brainer part but she said you really can't screw it up with severe pain to yourself in doing it. I'm not so much into pain, thank you...I like not hurting which is why I still can eat a lot now, 11 years after the fact. However, I tolerate alot more different foods that I used to and that's not good either so I'm going to give this a try to see if it helps with the weight loss again.

Thank you for your input - it's always appreciated even if it's not something people want to hear. They want the "magic pill" that really doesn't exist - kinda like that magic bean that Jack had...LOL!

Barbara McKeown

caligirl57
on 11/5/21 11:24 am

My aunt looked sick to alot of people but it was because they weren't use to seeing her at the weight she was supposed to be.

Desari63
on 11/5/21 2:41 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Hi Cali -

I'm down to 203 as of this morning..that's now 28 pounds as of 09/02/2021 after surgery. I'm trying to keep my carbs down really low and eating lots of protein and veggies (love them) and it's working so far...

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

hollykim
on 8/6/21 12:03 pm, edited 8/8/21 2:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 2, 2021 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, Desari63 wrote:

Hello all - I'm going to Juarez in September for either the SADI-S or DS as a revision to my Gastric Sleeve. I would like to hear the pros and cons to either or both surgery revisions if there are any out there!!!

Thanks in advance!

Barbara

I was given the SADI in Mx and it was done incorrectly and I began having BILE reflux, not to be confused with acid reflux.
I had to go to another dr in MX for a conversion to a true DS.

I can?t recommend the SADI. If you choose it make extra extra sure your surgeon knows what he is doing.
Also with either, make sure you are aware of the lifetime requirement for lots of supplements and make sure you are able to commit to that in every way.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views