While many things change - some don't

PeteA
on 5/10/16 9:26 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

This is all about my feet so if that is TMI then no worries just go on to  the next post. I just need to vent a little. Not quite sure why but I'm doing it anyway.

Headed to the podiatrist tomorrow. I really screwed my feet pre-op and while it has gotten much much better post-op they still remain the most vulnerable part of my new body. I hate that, even three years later, because even though I know/knew the weight loss wouldn't fix this 100% there is still something deep inside that resents that the DS wasn't magic.  

The middle toe blew up at the tip - first very swollen and then burst and bleeding draining. Icch. I hate that. I got some antibiotics to carry me over to my appointment which seemed to take care of the swelling on my foot which was probably the result of an infection by my toe. At least no IV antibiotics this time. Augmentin worked just fine.

When I had the DS I had been battling diabetic foot ulcers for years trying everything short of a bariatric chamber to get them to heal. Most things just didn't work. The best thing was getting a full cast over my foot and up past my calf to relieve the pressure. Now there is 6 months or so I'll never get back although I did get some fairly interesting different colors for my weekly casts.

The ulcers are pretty much healed but the skin and bone formations in those areas make them prone to problems that are prevented by orthotics and orthotics make me prone to problems in other areas of my foot like my toes.

Pre-op I lost most of the feeling in my feet, diabetic neuropathy, and that just doesn't come back so I try to be very careful but sometimes there just isn't a way to be careful enough and still live a life.

Anyway, I think I'll be fine when the Doc pulls out her scalpel and debredes (sp) the area. It is the best way to get it to heal quicker.

DS - gave me a new life in a lot of ways but some things I messed up pre-op still hang around to mess with me now.

Take care,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

PattyL
on 5/11/16 12:43 am

So sorry!  H had neuropathy too and he always said he wished he had had his switch sooner.  Can you tolerate about 500 mg of niacin?  If you have never tried it, you should.  It improves foot circulation.

larra
on 5/11/16 9:51 am - bay area, CA

Pete, I'm so sorry about the foot problems! Just goes to show that we should have bariatric surgery sooner rather than later, esp in the face of diabetes, AND that pcp's should acknowledge that bariatric surgery is the ONLY effective treatment, at least for now, for MO, and recommend it to their patients instead of good old diet and exercise (less than 5% effective) AND that for anyone with type 2 diabetes, the recommended operation should be the DS and not an operation unlikely to resolve their diabetes.

Sorry about the rant. I've seen what diabetes does to people and feel very strongly about this. I hope the podiatrist is able to help you.

Larra

PeteA
on 5/12/16 1:42 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Larra - totally agree.....

Well, the saga continues. It turns out that the infection was really aggressive and opened up path to the bone. Doc is going to take the tip off on 5/20. She would have put me in today and got it done Firday or Saturday but I just couldn't wrap my head around doing it that quick.

So, a week to get used to the idea of losing the tip of my toe and figuring out when to take my calcium/zinc around my Cipro.

It sucks but won't be an issue for walking or balance so better to take care of it now. So much for spring in the outdoors. Next 3 or 4 weeks will be mostly in the house....

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

larra
on 5/12/16 10:00 am - bay area, CA

Pete, that had to be tough news, but best to get it taken care of before the infection spreads further. Wishing you the best.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/16 12:31 pm

I know it suc?!. One of the drivers for WLS surgery for me was hairline fractures in my left foot that worsened over time. The weight loss seemed to heal things for about 6 to 9 months, then the issue came back. 

When I started wearing orthotics full time, it pretty much took care of the problem.

PeteA
on 5/13/16 2:54 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Yes. Orthotics help a lot. Many of my problems are now systemic because my bones shifted over the years to accommodate my weight. I jsut got a new saet of orthotics and they had to revise them twice before they got the support right.

south2north
on 5/12/16 6:01 pm
DS on 11/19/14

Sorry you are going through this. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 712 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1019 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 341 views