Guillain Barre Syndrome

ginabobina_9090
on 1/21/15 5:00 am

Just curious.............I was wondering if any D/Ser have contracted Guillain Barre syndrome and what was their out come. I just returned home from a 7 day hospital stay and will not be returning to work any time soon. GBS is a very rare and serious autoimmune disease attacking the nerves and muscles...........profoundly painful and extremely debilitating. I am grasping at straws and hoping someone could give me some words of encouragement.............I have never in my lifetime felt pain like this, at times it is unbearable. I do not believe it is related to my DS surgery but thought perhaps someone in this group experienced this or knew someone who also had it and overcame it.  

Marie

Ladytazz
on 1/21/15 4:10 pm

I would assume the vast majority of people who have contracted Guillain Barre syndrome have not had DS surgery so I doubt there is a connection.  It took me a while to figure out that not every physical problem I had could be traced back to my WLS, although some could.  Sometimes things happen that would have still happened even if we never had WLS.

I am really sorry to hear how much pain you are in.  I hope you feel better soon.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

PeteA
on 1/22/15 4:03 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Not something I've seen on any of the DS boards. I don't know what
they can do for you but wishing you well!!!

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

hamilbr
on 1/23/15 3:52 am - Lewisville, TX

My BIL had GBS a few years back... No, he didn't have any type of WLS.  I do know you are in for a long, painful battle.  Please try to keep up your protein & vitamins.  God bless you,  praying for you.

Brenda

ginabobina_9090
on 1/23/15 5:26 am

thank you all for your kind responses...............I do not believe that this has anything to do with having the D/S but thought it would be a good idea to post about it, just in case. I think its going to be a long road ahead and the best way to deal with it all is to stay present and not worry about tomorrow................I am glad its not worse and I did not need to be on a respirator in the ICU and will expect a 100% recovery in its own time,

Thanks again,

Marie

S

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 733 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1033 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 346 views