Do you all take Vitt k2? If so, what kind and how much

sunshine1968
on 2/28/14 11:47 pm, edited 3/1/14 12:40 am

I have been hearing a lot about k2 lately but vita lady's plan does not have k2 in it. Could you explain it's purpose and what dosage and type of k2 one should start out with. 

MajorMom
on 3/1/14 12:47 am - VA

I take Vitalady's 150 mcg capsules. Vitamin K2 is for your bone health. I started with one capsule a day but then my dietitian wanted to see if I needed more by following my osteocalcin lab and dexa scans. We've settled on 4 capsules a day. My osteocalcin lab runs nice and low but within range and my dexa scan has improved from osteoporosis to osteopenia.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

sunshine1968
on 3/2/14 5:35 am

Do you take it with your other vits?  Which k2 do you take. 

MajorMom
on 3/2/14 6:37 am - VA

Yes, I take 2 capsules with my big batch of vitamins in the morning and 2 capsules with my big batch in the evening. I take Vitalady's 150mcg vitamin K2 (MK-7).

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 3/2/14 5:24 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

A friend of mine found this information on Amazon. When you get to the end remember we DS'rs don't do well with gel caps because of the absorption issues.

K2 hasn't made it into the Vitalady plan yet but a lot of people add it for bone health. I'm taking 100 mcg per day.

Here is what my friend posted. It explains a lot about K2 that I can never seem to remember from day to day.

I found this on Amazon while searching for K2.
I thought it had some great info:
Here is a side-by-side comparison of seven Vitamin K-2 supplements: Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex, Now Foods Vitamin K-2 (MK-4), Now Foods MK-7 Vitamin K-2, Jarrow Formulas MK-7, Nutrigold Vitamin K2 (MK-7) Gold, Solgar Natural Vitamin K2 (MK-7), and Thorne Research Vitamin K2 Liquid.

Vitamin K is an essential, fat-soluble vitamin that cannot be synthesized by the body, making supplementation necessary. Vitamin K is a group of three vitamins: Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone), Vitamin K2 (menaquinone), and Vitamin K3 (menaphthone). Vitamin K2 is usually found in meats, dairy, and egg yolks.

Vitamin K1 is involved in blood clotting. Vitamin K2 directs calcium into your bones and teeth instead of your arteries. I am on a Vitamin D3 regimen of 5000 I.U. daily and believe Vitamin K2 helps with the proper assimilation of that D3.

Unless it is properly directed, calcium can block arteries instead of going into your bones. This happens when calcium builds up in the blood vessels. Calcium also attaches to plaque. This can cause hardening of the arteries, heart attacks and strokes. Vitamin K2 helps calcium to go to the right places. Vitamin K2 directs calcium to go into your bones and teeth instead of your arteries. Recently published data on Vitamin K2 demonstrate its positive effect upon heart disease and bone metabolism.

Vitamin K2 includes several subtypes. The two subtypes most studied are MK-4 and MK-7. The most well studied of the menaquinones is MK-4. However, MK-7 is the most commonly derived form. MK-4 is the more difficult to find.

MK-7 remains present in the blood longer than MK-4. MK-4 remains detectable in your body for about 4 to 5 hours, whereas MK-7 remains detectable in your body for at least 4 days. Because of this, MK-4 is sometimes taken 2 to 3 times daily, whereas MK-7 need only be taken once daily.

MK-4 is found in animal based foods such as meat, chicken, cheese, egg yolks and butter.

MK-7 is found in natto, a traditional Japanese fermented soybean food which is produced by growing the MK-7 generating bacillus, natto, on the surface of cooked soybean. MK-7 is also found in certain fermented foods such as sauerkraut and kimchi. Kimchi is a traditional fermented Korean side dish made of vegetables with a variety of seasonings. MK-7 has the highest bioavailability and longest half-life in the blood. The longer half-life means MK-7 is available to support bone and arterial integrity for much longer periods than other forms of Vitamin K.

BREAKDOWN: Below is a breakdown of these supplements.

Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex (See, Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex Softgels, 90-Count)
Fat soluble
Not certified Kosher or Halal
$18.72 for 90 gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.21 (using Amazon's price)
No soy
No GMOs
No cholesterol
Not vegetarian
Not enteric coated
One gel cap contains 1000 mcgs* of Vitamin K1, 1000 mcgs Vitamin K2 as MK-4, and 200 mcgs of Vitamin K2 as MK-7
Phone Number: (800) 226-2370
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione), vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4), vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7), ascorbyl palmitate, extra virgin olive oil, gelatin, glycerin, beeswax, purified water, and carob color

Now Foods Vitamin K-2 (MK-4) (See, NOW Foods Vitamin K-2,100mcg, 100 Vcaps)
Fat soluble
$9.24 for 100 gel caps on Amazon
Price per gel cap: $.09 (using Amazon's price)
No soy
No GMOs
No cholesterol
Vegetarian
Not enteric coated
One gel cap contains 100 mcgs* of Vitamin K2 as MK-4
Phone Number: (888) 669-3663
Ingredients: Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4), alfalfa (medicago sativa), cellulose (capsule), rice flour, maltodextrin, ascorbyl palmitate, and silica

Now Foods MK-7 Vitamin K-2 (See, Now Foods Vitamin K-2 (MK7) Veg Capsules, 100 mcg, 60 Count)
Fat soluble
$13.06 for 60 gel caps on Amazon
Price per gel cap: $.22 (using Amazon's price)
Contains soy
No GMOs
No cholesterol
Vegetarian
Not enteric coated
One gel cap contains 100 mcgs* of Vitamin K2 as MK-7
Phone Number: (888) 669-3663
Ingredients: Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7), rice flour, cellulose (capsule), gelatin, ascorbyl palmitate, and silica

Jarrow Formulas MK-7 (See, Jarrow Formulas MK-7 (vitamin K2), 60 Softgels)
Fat soluble
$12.99 for 60 gel caps on Amazon
Price per gel cap: $.21 (using Amazon's price)
Contains soy
No GMOs
No cholesterol
Not vegetarian
Not enteric coated
One gel cap contains 90 mcgs* of Vitamin K2 as MK-7
Phone Number: (310) 204-6936
Ingredients: Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7), medium chain triglycerides, evening primrose oil, and soybean oil. Softgel consists of gelatin, glycerin, water, and caramel (as a light barrier)

Nutrigold Vitamin K2 (MK-7) Gold (See, Nutrigold Vitamin K2 - MK7 Gold (From Natto in Organic Olive Oil), 100 mcg, 120 softgels)
Fat soluble
$18.95 for 120 gel caps on Amazon
Price per gel cap: $.16 (using Amazon's price)
Contains soy
No GMOs
No cholesterol
Not vegetarian
Not enteric coated
Phone Number: (800) 476-3542
Ingredients: Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7), non-GMO organic olive oil, softgel bovine gelatin, non-GMO vegetable glycerin, and purified water

Solgar Natural Vitamin K2 (MK-7) (See, Solgar - Natural Vitamin K2 (MK-7) 100 mcg Vegetable Capsules - 50)
Fat soluble
$15.18 for 50 gel caps on Amazon
Price per gel cap: $.30 (using Amazon's price)
Contains soy
No GMOs
No cholesterol
Vegetarian
Not enteric coated
Phone Number: (201) 944-2311
Ingredients: Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7), dicalcium phosphate, vegetable cellulose, vegetable magnesium stearate, and silica

Thorne Research Vitamin K2 Liquid (See, THORNE RESEARCH - Vitamin K2 Liquid - 1 fl oz [Health and Beauty])
Fat soluble
$62.71 for one fl oz (30 mL) bottle on Amazon
Flavor: none (no taste)
18 month shelf life after opening
Don't have to refrigerate after opening
1200 drops per bottle
Recommended Serving = 15 drops 1-3 times per day
Price per serving (15 drops) = $.78 (using Amazon's price)
One drop contains 1000 mcgs* of Vitamin K2 as MK-4
No soy
No GMOs
No cholesterol
Vegetarian
Phone Number: (800) 228-1966
Ingredients: Vitamin K-2 (menatetrenone-4), medium chain triglyceride oil, and mixed tocopherols

OPINION: All seven are excellent Vitamin K-2 products, with some significant differences:

Thorne Research Vitamin K2 Liquid is a liquid. It is the most expensive of the seven products mentioned. One drop contains 1000 mcgs of MK-4. So, one serving consisting of 15 drops contains 15000 mcgs of MK-4. It does not contain soy. It does not contain GMOs. It does not contain ascorbyl palmitate. It is not certified Kosher. It is vegetarian.

Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex contains 1000 mcgs of Vitamin K1, 1000 mcgs Vitamin K2 as MK-4, and 200 mcgs of Vitamin K2 as MK-7. It does not contain soy. It does not contain GMOs. It contains ascorbyl palmitate. It is not certified Kosher. It is not vegetarian. This is considered a full spectrum Vitamin K, i.e., it is a combination of several forms of Vitamin K. It has at least two times more mcgs of MK-7 than the other five supplements. It has ten times more mcgs of MK-4 than Now Foods Vitamin K-2 (MK-4). It also contains 1000 mcgs of Vitamin K1 which the other five supplements don't have.

Now Foods Vitamin K-2 (MK-4) contains MK-4. MK-4 is less effective and slower at raising Vitamin K-2 levels in the bloodstream than MK-7. It does not contain soy. It does not contain GMOs. It contains ascorbyl palmitate. It is not certified Kosher. It is vegetarian. It includes alfalfa, which is a rich source of natural Vitamin K. MK-4 costs less than MK-7. It is the least expensive of the seven products mentioned.

Now Foods MK-7 Vitamin K-2 contains MK-7. MK-7 is more effective and faster at raising Vitamin K-2 levels in the bloodstream than MK-4. It contains soy. It does not contain GMOs. It contains ascorbyl palmitate. It is not certified Kosher. It is vegetarian. MK-7 costs more than MK-4.

Jarrow Formulas MK-7 has the least amount of MK-7 of the seven. It contains soy. It does not contain GMOs. It does not contain ascorbyl palmitate. It is not certified Kosher. It is not vegetarian.

Nutrigold Vitamin K2 (MK-7) Gold contains MK-7. It contains soy. It does not contain GMOs. It does not contain ascorbyl palmitate. It is not certified Kosher. It is not vegetarian.

Solgar Natural Vitamin K2 (MK-7) contains MK-7. It contains soy. It does not contain GMOs. It does not contain ascorbyl palmitate. It is not certified Kosher. It is vegetarian.

PRECAUTIONS: If you take a blood thinner like Coumadin® (warfarin), which works by inhibiting the effect of Vitamin K, the use of a Vitamin K supplement should be discussed with your doctor before you begin taking it, as changes in blood thinning may occur.

RECOMMENDATION: If I were to select one, it would be Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex because it is considered a full spectrum Vitamin K. It has two times more mcgs of Vitamin K2 as MK-7 than the other five gel cap supplements and ten times more mcgs of Vitamin K2 as MK-4 than Now Foods Vitamin K-2 (MK-4). It also contains 1000 mcgs of Vitamin K1 which the other four products don't have. Also, it contains neither soy nor GMOs.

However, Thorne Research Vitamin K2 Liquid, the only liquid in this group, is extremely potent, but it is very expensive. If for some reason you have a need for this kind of potency (one drop contains 1000 mcgs of MK-4), Thorne Research Vitamin K2 Liquid might be a good choice.

RATING:

I rated Thorne Research Vitamin K2 Liquid, Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex, Now Foods Vitamin K-2 (MK-4), Now Foods MK-7 Vitamin K-2, Jarrow Formulas MK-7, Nutrigold Vitamin K2 (MK-7) Gold, and Solgar Natural Vitamin K2 (MK-7) five stars. In my opinion, they are all excellent products.

I have separately reviewed all of these supplements.

* 1000 micrograms (mcg) equal one milligram (mg).

Prices current as of 02/15/2014.

sunshine1968
on 3/2/14 6:04 am

I have heard that norm folks who take in too much / excess calcium wind up with clogged arteries etc. Not sure how to gauge that as a DSr. Certainly don't want to end up with clogged arteries because of excess calcium. What type of capsules do you take and do you take them with other vits? 

PeteA
on 3/2/14 6:13 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

That would be an additional reason to take the K2 but really you just don't hear from anyone that has had those kinds of problems with the DS. The dosages may look large but the malabsorption takes care of a lot of that. 

I take 1800 mg / day. Two Citrical max for a total of 600mg per dose, 3 doses per day. There were some studies that showed 500-600mg of calcium is an optimum does on average but it is just an average - people can be different. I take them with anything except Iron and Zinc. The iron I take right before bed with Vit C.

sunshine1968
on 3/4/14 9:30 pm

I didn't realize that we malabsorb calcium. I thought it was ADEK that we malabsorbed.  I thought the calcium issue was because of lack of d absorption as calcium and d go hand in hand

Huneypie
on 3/5/14 1:51 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Nope we malabsorb calcium, iron, copper, some B vits.  You should get yourself on the Vitalady program and then you can tweak according to your labs.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

sunshine1968
on 3/2/14 6:15 am

Do you know if it would be okay to pour out the capsule into a protein shake as I have difficulty swallowing capsules

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views