Post-Op Food ideas.

Gillyc
on 12/11/13 11:43 am
DS on 12/17/13

To say that my post-op diet guidelines are vague, I think, would be appropriate.  They may give me something more detailed after my surgery, but i'm guessing not.

Anyways, I know the first few days are liquids, but they do have sugar free jello and pudding listed.  

I *hate* sweeteners.  I know that may not be the case post op, but it is right now.  I am, however, ok with going sugar/sweetener free altogether.  

So if I do feel like diversifying and having something non-liquid in the beginning, would very basic home made panna cotta type thing (milk vanilla bean, gelatin) be ok?  

I'm sure this has been asked too many times and gets old fast, I've just been goggling so much for all the basics, and I feel like I don't have enough time to prepare everything (I need to prepare food for the family for 3 weeks as well as zip lock three weeks worth of outfits and pajamas for three children, as well as my travel plans and *my* post op diet and vitamins).  

I thought I had a year to get ready, but I only got 3 weeks (including the pre-op tests), exciting but intense. 

Huneypie
on 12/12/13 1:09 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

For the first few weeks you don't want to go too mad on fat until you've at least got used to your new bathroom routine - if you're eating tiny amounts then you may be OK, but take it easy early on.

Scrambled egg, yogurt and egg drop soup were favorites early out.  White fish went down easy once you're allowed mushies and I also had prawns in the early days.

For vitamins I'd just order from Vitalady.  I'd start with the DS mostly chewable vitamins.  This pill organizer seems a pretty good one (I have a different one, the Anabox, which is more expensive in the US). http://www.amazon.com/MedCenter-Monthly-Medication-System-Re minder/dp/B000RZPL0M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386868074&sr=8- 3&keywords=medcenter

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Gillyc
on 12/12/13 1:52 pm
DS on 12/17/13

Thanks!  I find myself wishing I wasn't allergic to shellfish (I wasn't always, it was the only 'fish' I used to like),  I guess there's always tuna but it does make the roof of my mouth itch.  

I think you're right with the VitaLady, it takes the stupid out of the process.  I already ordered that one!  Along with 5kg of NOW whey protein isolate (really worried i'm going to hate it.)  Everything i've read says it's one of the best though.  

I got some Centrum 50+ chewables (http://www.centrum.com/whats-inside/products along with tums for calcium per doctors instructions) which I guess i'll start with until the vitalady ones show up.

Huneypie
on 12/12/13 3:58 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Yep I started with Centrum 2 or 3 times a day until my Vitalady order arrived -  the order took 3 weeks to come through.

I also had quiche and didn't eat the crust so that may help with the variety but it sounds like you really need to avoid fish as you don't want any allergy issues.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Gillyc
on 12/12/13 5:10 pm
DS on 12/17/13

Crust less quiche is  really great idea!

I guess the biggest reason why I ask about the food idea's is because I know I can get a bit hung up on goals and not allow myself anything unless I hit a goal.

Same reason why I'm awake at 4 am instead of sleeping (Felt like I had to finish knitting something for my daughter because it will be -22 tomorrow).

I'm worried I'm too focused on just sticking to liquids (64oz+ for the first week with vitamins and protein powder thrown in).

I can start the protein powder first/second day?  Is it ok to put  spoon of powder in not very much liquid and just swig it if it turns out I have smell/taste issues with it?

Thank you so much for all your help.   Freaking out a bit :)

Huneypie
on 12/12/13 6:00 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I was in hospital 'til I ws 4 days out and I was a 2 parter, with my stomach done a couple of years earlier and I still only allowed broth and yogurt.  I was getting in about 100 calories a day for those days.  I was nil by mouth for the fist couple of days 'til I passed the leak test as I had a drip for fluids, so while I was in hopspital I followed my surgeons instructions and I didn't even have vitamins while there.

Do what your doc says at least until you're discharged.  Shakes should be OK after that... you won't get a deificency that fast as you'll have some reserves initially.

Stick to Atkins as closely as you can until you reach goal - you can then have some fun depending on how much leeway the scale allows.

I  my DS  

Gillyc
on 12/13/13 12:05 am
DS on 12/17/13

Atkins will probably be easier to follow than trying to come up with my own rules (I typically have a rule that carbs are ok as long as fiber exceeds sugars (double sugars+2g->in fiber, so 6g sugars needs 14g fiber)),

But I think that's best to bring back after goal weight...

Just thinking Atkins makes my bowel cramp....  I imagine metamucil is key :)

Huneypie
on 12/13/13 1:13 am, edited 12/13/13 8:20 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Early out you should be fine going.  Once you introduce iron and calcium then things will firm up and I'd play with the amount of fat you consume.  I used to enjoy whipped heavy cream with Splenda (or I guess you can have it plain if you don't like sweetener) but that was a real novelty eating heavy cream with wild abandon... sadly I got over the novelty, but if you have a way in which you enjoy fat then I'd go for that before going the laxative route.

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 12/13/13 4:54 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Just remembered I used to have cheese triangles too... it seems so long ago now.

I  my DS  

paula K.
on 12/13/13 1:14 pm - newnan, GA
DS on 12/04/13

I hate artificial sweeteners and have found that at 10 days post-op I HATE them more.  I asked hubby to grab me an oatmeal when he went in to Dunkin Donuts to get himself a coffee today.  Well, he got me maple flavor. It was sickeningly sweet to me. Could NOT eat it. Post surgery I am very sensitive to sweets and they seem repulsive. It seems that every protein shake / supplement goes heavy on sweet flavors, so I am doing a lot of homemade foods.  The baked ricotta cheese recipe of eggface website is amazing.  I ate some broccoli cheese soup today too and it was like heaven. There are some recipes out there for baked custards with splenda, I am thinking of trying them with just a touch of regular sugar.  I told my surgeon early on I was not going to eat Franken Foods and would rather eat a very small amount of regular or raw sugar.  Also, found out that Agave is NOT good - probably just as bad as HFCS. I am definitely bored with food and I am having a hard recovery, lots of pain, pressure and nausea but I still get a little hungry. If I am going to eat it has to taste good.

GOOD LUCK!!

MS Warrior, Wife & Mom. Duodenal Switch Date 12/4/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 730 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1031 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 345 views