Need Help GAINING weight.....Post DS Revision

offthewall34
on 5/4/13 4:20 pm - Bakersfield, CA

Hello Everyone,

I am 1 year 9 months post a RNY to DS revision, and I keep losing weight.  I am 5'9", and 127.  I need to give you a bit of my background.  Normally this in itself wouldn't worry me, but I also have Lupus, and I have quite a bit of skin as well, so my "true" weight is likely more like 117, or even less if you removed the skin.  You can see my ribs on my chest, back, my pelvic bones etc.  I am definitely underweight at this point.  To top it off, I am having trouble keeping food down.  I was doing really well up until two to three months ago.  I have lost my health insurance, so I don't have a lot of options until I get it back in two months.  So, I am trying to figure out how to gain weight in the meantime.  I am under a tremendous amount of stress (which triggers Lupus flares, which can cause weight loss), so that can be part of the weight loss), but I am thinking there is more to it at this point.  I was steady at 145-150 for at least 6 months, and then about two months ago, I started with nausea, and vomiting when I would eat.  Not every time, but a lot of the time.  I still have BMs etc, so there is no blockage, but I have ALOT of trouble eating, especially protein.  I can't even drink my protein powder drink without throwing up.  I went to the ER last week, and the Dr. just gave me Zophran (an anti nausea med and pain meds), and sent me home because he didn't feel anything wrong upon palpation of my stomach.  Sooooo, do any of you have any idea what could be going on, or advice on how to get some weight back on me without throwing up? 

Thank you in advance!

D

MajorMom
on 5/4/13 7:48 pm - VA

Have you looked into herbal teas that help with nausea? Perhaps ginger and peppermint teas.  I think you've got to get that sorted out before you'll be able to gain weight back without resorting to carbs.  Some folks may recommend carbs to help you gain, I just don't think they are the solution. Keep us posted and I hope you can figure this out ASAP.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

stormy918
on 5/5/13 12:13 am

First off...you can poop and fart and still have an obstruction. Fact. You didnt mention pain so I assume there is none. Do you take Zegrid, Pepcid...something along those lines? You might try one.

If it were me, I would find something I could get down that would stay down with lots of calories...ice cream, cake, any carby, high calorie food...and I wouldnt care about the gas smell. I would find something to help get some weight on. Try mixing your protein powder in ice cream, make pudding with it...anything.

What are your labs...when was the last time you had them drawn?

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

Mary_J
on 5/5/13 12:49 am

Yeah, what Stormy said! Have you been checked for an obstruction?

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

Mary_J
on 5/5/13 12:52 am

Or a stricture? Have you seen a doctor at all? You may not have insurance, but insurance in 2 months isn't going to do you much good if you keep going in this direction!

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

offthewall34
on 5/5/13 3:01 am - Bakersfield, CA
Thank you ladies,
To answer a few questions, yes, I am on Prilosec and Nexium for Regurge. They have always worked fine in the past, but it does feel like I have more reflux now. I had my basic labs drawn in the ER,, and the Dr said they were normal, which shocked me since I was soooooo dehydrated.
A far as barbaric labs, I had them done 6 months ago, and they were fine at that time, but that was prior to these symptoms.
Thanks again,
D
southernlady5464
on 5/5/13 5:21 am

JUST because a doctor/nut says they are in normal range does NOT mean a good for you range.

Example, last lab test, dh's vit D was a 38 (INSIDE normal range) but WE knew he was heading too low...so he upped his Vit D...the nut did not say a word about it, just that it was "NORMAL".

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

stormy918
on 5/5/13 3:11 am

Are you taking your vitamins...your DS vits? My biggest concern now would be to find a way to get protein in and some weight on.

You might give ZEGRID a try. It worked for me when Nexium and Pepcid didnt.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

larra
on 5/5/13 8:18 am - bay area, CA

As others have already said, you could have a stricture (though not as likely to show up so late as earlier) or a partial bowel obstruction and still pass gas and have BM's. If at all possible, get this possibility checked out. The fact that your stomach felt OK to the ER doc is almost meaningless. If the obstruction is partial, you could look normal. If the obstruction is very high up, your belly could look and feel normal. If the obstruction is in the BP limb, you could look normal.

Have you tried digestive enzymes? It would be best to take those recommended by your DS surgeon, but there are also OTC digestive enzymes available at places like GNC and Amazon. Make the most of all the calories you consume.

And even though you presently lack health insurance, I doubt Dr. K. would fail to return a phone call and at least give some advice.

Larra

offthewall34
on 5/21/13 2:12 pm - Bakersfield, CA

Just an update:  I ended up talking to Dr. K about my situation,  and he did an endoscopy and an upper GI on Monday since I am STILL vomiting.  He said the endoscopy looked good, with no blockages or narrowing, but I still haven't heard anything yet about the upper GI, and sent me home telling me to be on a liquid diet for a week. I am vomiting even worse now.  The empty feeling in my stomach is making me nauseous 24/7 now.  I am down to 119/5'9".  What in the heck can this be?  I am feeling very scared and desperate.  I am so nauseous that I gag just sipping fluids. I still don't have insurance yet, and I paid cash for the two procedures Monday.  I don't know what to do at this point!!

I know Dr. K will likely be calling this week with results, but I am not sure how long I can take this!!

Thanks for "listening"

D

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 722 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views