Stalled already???

2renee
on 9/13/12 5:40 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12
I am 16 days post op.  Lost 18 pounds in the first 9 days and the scale hasn't moved since.  I know this can happen but I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon in the process.  I am drinking my 1.5 to 2 litres of water a day yet am still a bit dehydrated. (I know because I am still thirsty)   Total calories consumed per day are about 800.  Protein between 60 g and 98 g a day depending on what I eat.  Carbs are under 50g a day.  I have been walking around the house, doing laundry and going for a walk everyday (now up to 1.5 km a day.

Is there anything else I can do to try and get my body out of this stall? 

Renee
kat81
on 9/13/12 3:55 am, edited 9/13/12 3:57 am
Great job-- 18lbs is a big drop.  I would allow your body to adjust as you continue to lower carbs and increase protein.
Lovinlifegirl21
on 9/13/12 4:48 pm
 I used to be an RN for a Baristric surgeon. It is not uncommon for this to happen. Sometimes it takes the body a little time to adjust after a big loss like 16 pounds. I recommend taking your measurements and comparing them when you have weightless stalls. Sometimes the scale does not tell the whole story! You could very likely still be losing inches! Keep your head up and keep plugging along! I promise if your following the rules your weight will come off!

Lovinlifegirl21    
Julie R.
on 9/15/12 6:09 pm - Ludington, MI
 Criminee....I only lost 21 lbs my first month!   Quit yer whinin' 

You're body is just taking a break.   Relax!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

2renee
on 9/15/12 7:49 pm - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12
LOL - point taken...  I also figured out that while I was comparing with others that had their DS around the same time as mine, I neglected to factor in their pre-op liquid diets and such that I did not have to do.....

Thank you for the reality check.

Renee
MsBatt
on 9/16/12 12:42 pm
Here's what you need to know right now:

This explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox.

A "stall" at this point is inevitable, and here is why. 

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views