What am I supposed to eat

2renee
on 9/4/12 9:50 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12
Hi all,

I am 7 days out today and am feeling very well.  I started taking my cheable vitamins and calcium today and want to up my protein intake but don't want to pu**** too far, too fast....  So far, I have had no issues with the food I have tried - scrambbled egg, cottage cheese, mashed banana, jello, pudding, greek yogurt, canned salmon with mashed potatoes and milk puree. I am not a big fan of the protein shakes so I figure the only way I am going to get close to 100 g of protein is to jump into pureed meats.  Is it too soon for my tummy?  What else should I be having?  Just more of the same?  I am currenlty consuming about 50 g (includes about 20G from protein powder)

Renee
Huneypie
on 9/4/12 10:18 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I tried chili early out and that made a nice change for me. I also had quiche without the crust and cheese triangles.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 9/4/12 10:19 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
BTW I'm a 2 part DSer so I went a little faster than may be expected, so try just a small amount and see how it sits with you.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

PattyL
on 9/4/12 10:56 am
 Eat what your doc says to eat.  And drink.  Fluid is more important right now than anything else.  Drink!

Right now, you are in the healing phase.  Your job is to heal and learn how to eat and drink.  Don't worry about protein and carbs.  

Later you can put the hammer down.  After you heal.
MsBatt
on 9/4/12 3:12 pm
At 7 days out, you should only be eating things that are pureed or easily mashed with a fork. Everything you've mentioned sounds fine, but I'd go easy on the milk---surgery often results iin at least temporary lactose intolerance.

My surgeon's goal re protein was the 30/60/90 thing---30 grams by 30 days, 60 grams by 60 days, etc. You're doing wonderfully!
JazzyOne9254
on 9/4/12 4:04 pm

What PattyL said!

Dehydration early out is no picnic!  I had to go in twice for IV fluids early out, because I was not drinking enough. 

Usually surgeons don't clear you for solids until four weeks out, at least, mine didn't.  If you have a food plan for now up until your first post-op visit, follow that. 

I hope your hosptial had some kind of pre-op training program for you.  That's usually where immediate post-op foods are discussed.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

2renee
on 9/5/12 7:42 pm - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12
I am getting all my liquids in no problem so I am not concerned with dehydration at this time.  Thanks to your and other people's posts on here I have been dilligent about that.   

If I had an eating plan, I would be following it.  I don't really have a set plan and no there was no pre-op training as I was forced to go private in order to get the DS as it is not offered here except under extreme cir****tances.

I am re-reading this and it sounds snarky in tone but trust me it's not, I am just stating it the way it is  - lol

I will contact my surgeon tomorrow and get clarification.

Thank you for responding to my post.
Valerie G.
on 9/5/12 4:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Stick to moist and tender meats (slow cooked is best here), and you should be fine.  Also, ricotta cheese is a wonderful protein resource.  Mix with instant pudding and a little milk  for something sweet (known as ricotta fluff stuff), or top with sauce and cheese for something savory.  It yields 7g in only 1/4 cup.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

skinnime12
on 9/5/12 6:29 pm
Hey I'm right there with ya! & days out today COngrats to us both!! I don't have a specific eating plan, my dr. came and spoke with me at length in the hospital but I was so drugged up I can't remember a whole lot. I do know he is pretty lenient, but I'm the type who needs specifics!!! I am a worrier, and I need to know I'm doing everything right. I'm eating mostly soups, cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce...I tried refried beans with melted cheese and sour cream, OMG it was amazing!!!! I took about 1 bite too many and had some pinching pain in my esophagus area. I only ate prob 2 tablespoons total. Also I tried some of the awesome fluff stuff and the taste was oh-so-yummy but it sat a little heavy (that was a few days ago though, can't wait to try it again!!). Does anybody have a link to a specific post-op diet plan that is not crazy strict (like clear liquids for a month) because I know that is not what my surgeon believes in...no needless suffering emphasis on "needless"...
2renee
on 9/5/12 7:36 pm - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12
Cool - send me a PM and we can e-mail from there.

Renee
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 439 views