HORRIBLE tasting vitamins!!

halblingefrau
on 7/17/12 1:44 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I've been following my Dr.'s vitamin regimen but I was not totally satisfied with it, so I've been tweaking it and making it a lot closer to Vitalady's DS regimen.  Last night I took her bedtime recommended vites (calcium, vit A, vit K, and vit B-1).  Holy hell, something in that batch tasted HORRIBLE.  I drank and drank and drank afterwards and couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.  I suspect it was the B-1 sublingual (which i swallowed, didn't use it sub-lingual) as it is the only one of the batch that is new to me.

My question is, what advice do you have for when you have a pill that tastes terrible?  I tried to swallow things quickly, but sometimes the tablet brushes up against my tongue and BLECH.  Any way to remedy this?  Also, no I'm not drinking it with straigh****er.  I usually have sugar-free lemonade or sugar-free iced tea.

AundreaSmith
on 7/17/12 2:46 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Hey there,

I cannot take the sublingual or the chewable vitamins/supplements because of the horrible taste left and they make me want to gag.

I've gotten my dry ADEK vitamins from vitalady and use her "Tender" line, they are fantastic.  The only one I have had any issues with is Vitamin A, I have a tendancy to burp it up after I take them.  It's not a horrible taste, but not pleasant either. 

Maybe try to eat something AFTER you take them.  I try to always take mine with some sort of food.  It can be something small...like a couple slices of lunch meat, a spoonful of peanut butter, a couple bites of yogurt...something.  It may just need something in your stomach that is a little heavier.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

bugirll
on 7/17/12 5:29 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
My muti b vites taste like holy hell.  Vita lady has multi Bs in capsule that are a little better than the tablets that I have now and I will buy them again once I use up what I have.  I have found capsules to go down better than tablets.  I have to eat something after I take it-just drinking is not good enough.   Peanut butter sounds like a good idea.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
MajorMom
on 7/17/12 5:47 am - VA
It's the B vitamins. B1 specifically. I take a B1 capsule so I don't get the taste.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

halblingefrau
on 7/17/12 6:09 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I'm going to not order the sub-lingual again.  I'll try a capsule next time.  Because wow, that was bad.  I'll try my best to use what I have because I hate wasting vitamins, but I may end up having to replace them sooner rather than later.

And I take my B1 before bed so eating isn't really helpful as I don't like to eat that close to bedtime.  Maybe I'll coat the thing in peanut butter or something.

Valerie G.
on 7/17/12 9:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 1. fill mouth with water
2. tilt your head back
3. drop pills in mouth
4. swallow everything at once, you don't feel a thing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

determineddanni
on 7/19/12 12:08 am
i soooo know what you are talking about! i am assuming its your b-1 (thiamin). its a nasty little white sublingual pill ... ****ep it under my tongue though.... to nasty.... i just swallow it hahaha)

yea its a doozy

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

halblingefrau
on 7/19/12 1:36 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Yeah I learned a long time ago that sublinguals are just best swallowed.

The tilting my head all the way back thing helped a lot.  I still get a little taste if I don't swallow fast enough, but it's tolerable.  I'm definitely changing to a capsule when this bottle runs out though.  YUCK!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 765 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1055 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views