Iced Tea and Iron Deficiency?

halblingefrau
on 5/24/12 9:07 am - Flagstaff, AZ
So I just got my 9 month labs back.  Everything is looking pretty good (my Vit D is still low, but it's continually rising... I was really deficient before surgery) excet my iron.  I saw a large drop in my iron this go around.  We were discussing other things when I brought up that I drink a LOT of iced tea.  My doctor mentioned that the polyphenols in iced tea actually block iron absorption.  Has anyone ever heard of that? 

For now, I'm adding another chewable iron supplement per Dr orders.  I'm also going to start drinking sugar free lemonade, sugar free Kool-aid, etc. and cut WAY down on the iced tea.  I also planted some kale in my garden, and I'm going to start eating more red meat.

Kinda freaked out by the drop in iron though.  I don't have the exact numbers on me right now (I'm at work), but I can look at them when I get home and post them in a reply.

fattynNC
on 5/24/12 11:55 am
DS on 08/28/12
Please tell me that this iced tea info is wrong-  How would I make it without Iced Tea?????
halblingefrau
on 5/24/12 11:57 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I know right?  I'm going to research it on my own, because right now my brain is crying bullsh*t.

MsBatt
on 5/24/12 2:23 pm
I'm not going to tell you your doctor's wrong, but I will tell you that I'm 8 years post-op, have drunk a gallon of iced tea nearly every DAY since surgery, and my iron's okay.
Auburnmist
on 5/25/12 2:27 am - TX
 Yes, your doctor is right!! It goes the same for coffee and blocking iron absorption. It's best to take your iron on an empty stomach with a vitamin c source (vit c pulls iron in). An empty somach....2 hours after eating/drinking and 1 hour before eat/drink. Decaff makes NO difference. To. We'd a good 3 hour windo for optimal absorption of iron. If you drink tea/coffee with meals iron from your foods will not be optimally absorbed.

Auburn. 
 [url=  
Auburnmist
on 5/25/12 3:09 am - TX
 Here is one of many websites that shows iron inhibitors. 

http://www.drhoffman.com/page.cfm/120
 [url=  
bldeck
on 5/25/12 6:56 am - Farmington, NM
Yes its right.  Its the Tannin (sic).  But the trick is when you take your ice tea vs when you take your iron.  My iron is low, I take iron twice a day and drink tea.  Oh beside Tea its most caffeinated drinks as well as dairy products too.

I read a livestrong article that stated drink your tea wait 1 hr to take iron or take iron wait 2 hours to take tea.

My first iron is in the morning so no harm there and then its the last pill I take at night.  Morning iron is vitalady tender with C and night is a heme iron.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

linda1814
on 5/25/12 11:24 pm
 Also watch your black tea consumption if you have kidney stones.  Black tea is high in oxalates.

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

halblingefrau
on 5/26/12 2:01 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
Well Auburnmist, that is interesteding and I"m going to read that article.  Basically I'm going to double up on my iron.  I take it on an empty stomach in the morning with my multi-vitamin (which doesn't contain calcium).  I'm now taking 120mg of Bariatric Advantage chewable iron each morning.  I thikn I'm going to postpone drinking my morning tea for a couple of hours afterwards (maybe I'll have lemonade or something in the AM). 

MsBatt, I'm really glad to hear that.  I'd be very upset if I had to give up iced tea.  I'm thinking the major reason I'm having some issues with iron is that my whole life I've always been slightly anemic.  Plus, right before I had my labs drawn I was having an epically heavy period.  I'm sure that didn't help.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 984 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 448 views