Omeprazole versus something that is not time release

KRWaters
on 1/23/12 2:56 pm - Manteca, CA
 Hello everyone, newbies and maybe some oldies, though I don't see many "oldies" here. Just wanted to wish everyone the best for their upcoming DS. I came back on here for some information. I need help on acid reflux meds. I am taking omeprazole, but realize when my new rx came the other day from my new ins. that omeprazole is time-release. I remember from long ago that we as DSer may not be able to absorb the time release. Is that true in all cases? What would be a better choice for one that is NOT time release. I used to be on Protonix but with the cost of that a couple of years ago I switched to the omeprazole rx. Now I am having esophageal and stomach problems and wonder if the omperazole is not the cause? Any info would be greater appreciated.. I hope some vets can give me some advice here though I don't see many here. I do have an upcoming appt to see a new GI doc and discuss with him, but I was just wondering as I am not sure he has any DS knowledge or even any WLS knowledge.
Karen

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

newyorkbitch
on 1/24/12 12:05 am
Omeprazole works very well for DSers. Lots of us are on it.

Take 20mg in he morning to start and see if that's enough.  If it isn't,  add another 20mg in the evening.  I take 20mg in the morning and that's enough for me.  I used to take it twice a day but that's not necessary anymore.  
KRWaters
on 1/24/12 2:29 pm - Manteca, CA
 It seems just of late that omeprazole is not working as well as it was. Besides the bad breath, I have food coming back up, fullness in my stomach and a fullness in the back of my throat. I am taking 40 mg. every morning. A pharmacist I called suggested Pepcid, which shse said is not time releases so I may try that after I talk to the GI doc on Thursday.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

Janet P.
on 1/24/12 2:00 am
My prescription for Omeprazole isn't time released. I take 20 mg every morning and it works perfectly.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

newyorkbitch
on 1/24/12 3:05 am
Hi,  from what I understand,  all omeprazole is delayed release. 

Works perfectly for me too.
bugirll
on 1/24/12 3:09 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
Yes it all is. The prescription capsule kind as well.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
Steeler_girl
on 1/24/12 5:50 am
 Who is doing your DS surgery?  I am having a hard time finding a surgeon who preforms this.  What state are you in as well?  Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!!!
bugirll
on 1/24/12 6:05 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
Toon Sonneville in Belgium.  My surgery is March 19th.  Ill be in Begium for 10 days.  I live in Maryland.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
KRWaters
on 1/24/12 2:24 pm - Manteca, CA
 If you live in Maryland, why are you going all the way to Belgium? Just curious.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

PatXYZ
on 1/24/12 10:46 am
Go to DSfacts.com there is a list of surgeons there.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 439 views