Achy Joints?

yorkieGal
on 12/12/11 3:13 am - Clermont, FL

Hey Guys,
I have had very achy joints for last few weeks, they even ache when I wake up in the morning and are worse after house cleaning or anything strenuous. I haven't been sick with flu or anything and had my flu shot in september.
I need to get my labs done but am without insurance at the moment, so was wondering if there is a particular deficiency that can cause this symptom? I can afford to get some labs done myself and if anyone knows of a particular vitamin or mineral deficiency that may cause this...I can go and get that test done.

thanks in advance for all your wisdom

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

blackburn.vicki
on 12/12/11 3:25 am
  •  

VITAMINS FOR ACHING JOINTS

0 COMMENTS Mar 30, 2011 | By Dan Harriman Vitamins for Aching JointsPhoto Credit weathered hands image by robert mobley from Fotolia.com

Vitamins play a critical role in our daily lives. For those who suffer from joint pain, eating foods that are ri*****ertain vitamins can dramatically help reduce inflammation and aches. Vitamin D is perhaps the most effective vitamin to take when suffering from joint pain and autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis. If you are on a restricted diet, or are unable to eat enough foods rich in vitamins for combating joint pain, vitamin supplements may be a good alternative. Always consult your doctor before beginning a supplement regimen.

VITAMIN C

According to the Arthritis Treatment And Relief website, foods that are high in vitamin C, like strawberries and blueberries, may slow degeneration of your joints. Vitamin C is packed with antioxidants that have been shown to control free radicals from adversely affecting joints. Arthritis-Treatment-And-Relief.com also claims that vitamin C is critical in the production of collagen, a vital part of bone and cartilage.

1 Trick to Relieve Joints See How You Can Relieve Your Joints With This Fast and Easy Trick! www.Instaflex.com Sponsored Links

VITAMIN D

Research suggests that vitamin D helps reduce joint pain, according to MayoClinic.com. Vitamin D can play a role in reducing autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis. A study published in 2008 in the "Journal of the American College of Cardiology" found that half of American adults may be vitamin D deficient, notes MayoClinic.com. The recommended daily allowance for vitamin D ranges between 200 to 600 IU. The actual amount you may require is age-dependent. Food sources high in vitamin D include fortified dairy products, salmon and tuna. Vitamin D supplements may also be a good option for those who do not eat enough of these foods. Vitamin D is also produced naturally by the body through sun exposure.

B VITAMINS

A number of B vitamins have been known to reduce joint inflammation and pain, according to Arthritis-Treatment-And-Relief.com. Foods rich in vitamin B3, such as lean meats, fish, sunflower seeds and cottage cheese are good to incorporate into your diet if your vitamin B3 level is low. The vitamin B5 may also contribute to joint pain relief and can be obtained through foods such as eggs, soybeans, whole grains, lentils and peanuts. Finally, vitamin B6, which occurs in fish, wheat germ, bananas and soybeans, is another B vitamin that may help reduce joint pain, according to the Arthritis-Treatment-And-Relief website.

Cause of osteoarthritis Assess osteoarthritis pain. Tips on pain relief, diet, exercise, & more Healthline.com/Osteoarthritis-Knee Foods That Cause Joint Pain Learn about foods that cause joint pain. Get help & feel better right here. ArthritisGuidance.com Top 5 Arthritis Signs Do You Have Rheumatoid Arthritis? What The Doctor Is Not Telling You! www.ZipHip.com Rheumatoid Arthritis Sign Top 5 Rheumatoid Arthritis Signs. Find Out If You Have RA Here! ArthritisMend.com Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/251601-vitamins-for-aching -joints/#ixzz1gLlN309B
yorkieGal
on 12/12/11 3:32 am - Clermont, FL

Thanks. I was thinking more of whether anyone had suffered joint pain due to a deficiency following DS as opposed to general info for the "normie" population. I had already googled that but was curious about post op's and this symptom

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Renfairewench
on 12/12/11 4:45 am
My PTH levels were very high and I was really suffering from achey leg pains. They didn't get better when I walked (which would indicate Osteoarthritis), but they didn't get better either. The ache was in my hips, lower butt and down my upper thighs.

Admitedly I was not doing very well with my vitamins at that point. When I started taking all my vits and on a regular basis it took a couple of months, but the acheiness did go away.

I have not had my blood work checked recently (next month) so I don't know if my PTH has gone down or not, but from what I read I may very well have been suffering from PTH symptoms.  Any way, I did increase my vit. D to 100K a day along with taking Zinc and Copper (I alternate days with that) seemed to help me a lot. It wasn't a quick fix though. Like I said, it took a couple of months for the achiness to subside.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

yorkieGal
on 12/12/11 5:10 am - Clermont, FL
Thanks Hon, I was wondering about PTH as when I had my labs done in the Uk earlier in the year, there was some confusion about the PTH test and it got left out, so I have no idea what its doing. I may call around and see what it costs as quest or lab corp and have it drawn there.

I will up my Vit d in the interim as I only take the vitalady one 4 times a week at the moment

You're a star!

Yorkie xx

determineddanni
on 12/12/11 9:15 am
Whenever I get achy joints its due to either my Vit D or my thyroid and sometimes a combination of both. One time I was just so achy and tired and I finally went in and tested my TSH and it had sky rocketed! Never seen it that high but anyway thats my 2 cents:) I hope you feel better. Some nice heat will feel good like an electric blanket.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

marilyn A.
on 12/12/11 9:38 pm - willoughby, OH
DS on 03/17/94
Yorkie, anytime I have achy joints, it is always vit d slipping a bit. Even a small dip shows up with the joint problem (for me ). Its not too expensive to have tested and we seem to have a problem keeping it where it should be. I try to keep mine about 80-100 and take 50,000 vit d from Vitalady 3x a week. Been fine for 2 years.
yorkieGal
on 12/12/11 10:54 pm - Clermont, FL
Thanks guys,
I am going to ring around this morning to find out what it costs to get pth and Vit D tested. Do the independent lab places need a lab request from your pcp or can you just walk in and request the test??

In the meantime I am upping my 50,000 Vit D to 2 each day for a couple of months and then will retest. The weird thing is when I had my Vit D tested in the Uk my doc said it was "normal" but wouldnt give me the results on paper . I am sick of this achy feeling, they ache even when I'm laying down!!

Yorkie xx

Yorkie xx

yorkieGal
on 12/12/11 11:00 pm - Clermont, FL

Hi Guys, just found this online - scared the bejesus out of me that's for darn sure - off to ring Labcorp lol

High PTH levels can occur when the parathyroid glands are stimulated. Sometimes PTH can be controlled by using Vitamin D. In some people the parathyroid glands keep producing more and more PTH. This can cause high calcium levels and muscular weakness with aches and pains around the shoulders and hip joints. Eventually, bone disease with shortening of the ends of the fingers and collarbones may occur. The high levels of calcium and phosphate caused by excess PTH can cause chalk to build up in blood vessels and heart valves (click here for more details on this - known as cacliphylaxis). The treatment in severe cases is surgery to remove the parathyroid glands (click here for more details on surgery).

Yorkie xx

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/12 11:18 am
Hi Yorkie,  I suggest that you take vitamins/supplements for joint pains.  Hercules Joint Health contains carefully combined nutrients, shown to provide joint health benefits.  Hercules Joint Heath is a unique blend of three natural ingredients formulated to protect the joints.  For more details please visit - http://www.herculesvitamins.com/product_template.php?page=jo inthealth
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views