Having bad constipation, I thought this surgery was suppose to HELP this problem!

offthewall34
on 11/3/11 2:32 pm - Bakersfield, CA

I have had  constipation most of my life, and I have IBS which only becomes a problem during a really bad Lupus flare or times of stress.  I have had EXTREME constipation since this surgery.  It's only been two months since the surgery, but this is rediculous!  I do "go", but it's far between and very little amounts. (sorry to be graphic)  I have tried probiotics (which I take anyway), enemas, stool softeners, and none have been terribly helpful.  The only other thing the Dr said I could try is drinking the prep drink that you take prior to the surgery.  Uhhh, I don't think so.  That was horrendous.  I was on the toilet for the entire day.  So do any of you have a less aweful idea?  I was thinking if I added more fat to my diet maybe that would work?  Isn't it suppose to make us have diarrhea?  Maybe I'm not eating enough fat???  That wouldn't be "bad" for me, would it?  I may up my dosage of probiotics as well to see if that helps....
I sure hope someone has some good ideas...lol.
Thank you!
Deena

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/3/11 3:12 pm
 Yes, eat more fat. Make sure are getting plenty of water too.

What kind of calcium are you taking? Iron? I know you are probably taking Calcium citrate (of course not carbonate) but some are more constipating than others. Try a different brand. I mix it up and take a liquid form once in a while, but not exclusively because it is soo constipating. I also take a dose of MCHA calcium, which is more expensive, and supposed to be even more bio available, but doesn't constipate.

I had IBS before surgery too, but by several months post op, found a good place poop-wise. 

I don't take it, so don't remember what she says to take for it, but Vitalady has the perfect combo to combat constipation so if she doesn't chime in here, contact her.

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/11 3:16 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Definitely put some Miralax into your daily intake. It will help. It's not habit-forming, so you can take it as often as you need to do so. I only use it once a week or so, if I use it more often I get uncontrolled BMs!! Not good!

good luck!
butercup
on 11/3/11 3:43 pm - Kennewick, WA
In your other post you are saying how you're not getting enough protein. It could be that you're not eating enough to poop enough. Little bits come out, but it feels like more could, but really you're done. That's what I think anyway.
beemerbeeper
on 11/3/11 5:56 pm - AL
Whoever told you this surgery cured constipation doesn't understand the surgery.  Constipation is a huge problem and so are fissures which can be caused by constipation.

My constipation preventive program includes:  much added fat.  I add 1/2 stick of butter to popcorn and/or add 1/3 cup of oil to cake shakes and eat 4 a day.

You may need a gallon of water a day.  64 oz is just not enough for a lot of us.

I also take Magnesium Oxide capsules as needed.  They are my real weapon.  I take up to 6 a day or as few as none a day and manage my system quite well.  You can get Mag Oxide at Vitamin Shoppe or from Vita Lady.

And for the most seriously constipated here is Vita Lady's program:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4276854/Vita-Ladys-constipatio n-program/

And my last bit of advice is to read this forum.  Read read read.  If you were suprised about constipation that tells me you have not read enough.

~Becky

MajorMom
on 11/3/11 7:33 pm - VA
Here's Vitalady's constipation ritual:

I had chronic constipation for 11 years. I tried: more fiber, less fiber, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, no fiber, both fibers, stool softeners, Smooth Moves & Correctol teas and Metamucil wafers, together, apart, more water, less water, cut out anything bu****er (and protein), senna, cascara sagrada, everything one could possibly try until I was basically dependent on enemas for 3 yrs.

Miralax helped the stool be passable. It was rx and finally became generic, so went from $80 for 3 months to $20 for 3 months. Now it is OTC, but is about $8 for 5-6 servings. If you can get the rx, it is much cheaper, safe, daily, for life, according to my GI doc.

The stool softeners are store brand equal to Colace, not PERI-colace.

Word was that magnesium citrate was such a great thing. This is pills, not the green bottle, so I tried it and nothing happened, and so I kept increasing it. What DID happen is that my foot and leg cramps ceased. So, I kept doing that and tried magnesium oxide. This is small, cheap, found anywhere, like drug stores. And finally, it worked. Mine are 500 mg and I take 2.

My final formula:
1 serving MiraLax (rx) *
4 stool softeners at night
1 mag ox with lunch, 1 with dinner

In the morning, hot beverage first thing on empty gut

This has worked for several years yrs now.

* MiraLax was rx only until the end of 2007, and is now generic by rx. The original name brand is available at drug stores at about $20 for a large bottle. You might want to try one first, taken daily, at about the same time. If it solves the problem, then ask your doc for rx. It is NOT a laxative. It is safe, daily, taken for life, per 4 doctors I've asked. It was a pediatrician who introduced me to it. My rx plan allows me to have 6 of those big bottles every 3 months for $20. Check with your doc and your insurance to see if it's beneficial to buy it by rx. BTW, my doc writes for 2 servings per day, because they might SAY there are 30 servings per bottle, but somebody can't count. Me or them? I use only one, but if I spill or get too much, I still have enough to last til next refill.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

duncans
on 11/4/11 1:44 am, edited 11/4/11 1:51 am
I suspect that the docs that say we will have diarhhea are the same docs that do not fully realize the amout of calcium, etal, that we have to supplement.

I think that I am on the extreme end of the spectrum. Just got diagnosed with short segment Hirsprung's, a stage 3 enterocoele, rectocoele and cystocoele---all make the Gi motillity slower.
My daily intake:
LOTS of fluid, hot coffee in the am
2 Mag citrate caps 6x q d
2 mag oxide caps 6x q d
1 senokot 3 x qd
miralax q pm

Unfortunately, must have the innards hauled back into position once again. Damn!

HeatherLynn
on 11/4/11 3:58 am - TX
 I just had a colon resection because I had let my constipation get too serious and cause diverticulitits. Before the resection, no matter what I did, it was hard to have a bm, with one acception. If you take melted butter and mix it with prune juice, and drink a few oz, it should do the trick. Just start out with 4 oz and a tbs of butter. If that doesn't do it, do 4 more. 

Now, understand I have not had the DS, this is just my pre-resection induction method. Since my resection I have taken milk of magnesia when things start to slow down, and it has done the trick. I also drink a cup of coffee with 2 tbs of benefiber in it every morning. That REALLY helps. 

I wish you luck...being stopped up is misery. 
Hey Jules
on 11/4/11 4:37 am
Repeat after me, "Fat is a DS'er's friend."

Examples: KFC chicken, Long John Silvers grease-filled fish and chicken, heavy cream in your coffee, melted butter on popcorn and lobster, mayo and ranch on everything!

Also, lots and lots of water.

Good luck!

Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

Elizabeth N.
on 11/4/11 4:57 am - Burlington County, NJ
Fat is THE constipation cure for me and has been since day one. If I don't make concentrated efforts to keep up a very high fat intake (like 150 grams a day minimum), I'm sunk.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views