Non-refrigerated snacks

halblingefrau
on 11/2/11 5:19 am - Flagstaff, AZ
My go-to snack lately has been string cheese or greek yogurt, but I am trying to think of high protein snacks that don't need to be refrigerated.  Nuts are the only thing I have come up with. 

And to me, a protein shake isn't a snack.  I hate them.  I usually do protein powder in 4oz of half-and-half as a "protein shot" instead of drinking a large volume shake.

I have stumbled across a protein bar that is low in carbs AND low in sugar alcohols.  But I'd like to have other types of snacks too.

Christine X.
on 11/2/11 6:08 am - TX
I eat beef jerky. And roasted and salted edamame.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

halblingefrau
on 11/2/11 6:18 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Beef Jerky is too hard on my tummy right now (3 months out) but I LOVE the idea of roasted salted edamame.  Where do you get it?  We don't have a Trader Joe's nearby, sadly.  All I have is the regular grocery stores.

Christine X.
on 11/2/11 6:34 am - TX
You can do the edamame two ways. First you can get the dry roasted that is at the regular grocery store. Sometimes it is with the nuts and sometimes it is with the health food products.

Second is to get the frozen in the pods. You can steam those and salt and pepper them. Lots of time you can just steam them in the microwave. They are good with some cagin seasoning too.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

maryc543
on 11/2/11 7:02 am
tuna in pouches........just rip open and eat with a fork.....
pop top cans of chicken  (I found these at walmart)   they're just a snack size, but no carbs....
otherwise, cans of chicken, beef, etc...  usually found by the tuna sections.
peanut butter  (I eat it with a spoon)....
         Good Luck!    Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Elizabeth N.
on 11/2/11 8:15 am - Burlington County, NJ
Hardboiled eggs keep a good while without refrigeration if they are left in the shell.

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 10:34 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
what about beef snack sticks if you get the good quality ones not the crappy slim jim types, they are softer and dont need to be in the fridge.
Sarahlicious
on 11/2/11 11:50 am - Portsmouth, OH
Laughing cow wedge cheese, keep it in my desk drawer, spread on whole grain cracker.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

meredith_123
on 11/2/11 1:09 pm, edited 11/2/11 1:09 pm - Waterford, MI
My favorites are beef jerky and the dry roasted Edamame.  I get the Edamame at Kroger in the health food section.  Also natural peanut butter on a spoon is a good option.  Oh and Quest protein bars are pretty good, even better if you microwave them for about 15 secs.  I get those on-line questproteinbar.com, they have 20g protein, no sugar alcohols and only 5 non-fiber carbs. 
I often don't have access to a refrigerator at work, so I take my lunch in an insulated bag with a small ice pack.  Keeps my food good all day so I usually have a low yogurtroger yogurt and a couple string cheese in there. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
hollyweasel
on 11/2/11 2:42 pm - MI
Try turkey jerky (theres a pretty good one at Walmart) - I can't do beef jerky either, but turkey works just fine.  Beef fills us up and is hard to digest even for me at this point.

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 765 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1055 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views