Did your hair stop getting greasy after losing weight?

sandy_mt
on 10/5/11 2:36 am
 I have to wash my hair every day because it's always oily at the roots the next morning.  I am 42 and still producing a lot of oil.  Have any of you noticed that oil production slows down after losing a lot of weight?  

Sandy 

Renee2007
on 10/5/11 2:39 am - Central, FL
 It's really odd that you mentioned this. I am 49 and i have always been oily. I have always had to wash my hair everyday as well. My face still tends to be on the oily side but my hair not so much. I can now go a couple of days before it has to be washed again.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

beemerbeeper
on 10/5/11 3:13 am - AL
I don't think the drying out of my hair and skin has anything to do with losing weight but everything to do with malabsorbing oil/fat.

I have to ADD oil to my diet to keep from getting constipated.

My skin is still dry and my previous very oily hair is dry dry dry.

~Becky

Emily F.
on 10/5/11 3:18 am
I think oily hair can have something to do w pcos?? Yes, I can go every other day now.
Tarragon
on 10/5/11 3:25 am
My hair gets dirty much more slowly now.  another unexpected side effect is that I never seem to need deodorant any more.  I still use it just in case, but if I go without for a few days, my armpits just don't smell whereas before they would after one day of not wearing it.  Weird, but not a bad thing.
no_more_rolls
on 10/5/11 3:52 am - Jackson, MI
My hair still gets oily, but not as bad since I have lost weight.  Overactive hormones (like PCOS), thyroid issues, skin issues, stress, or genetics can cause oily hair.  People with fine, thin hair are more prone to oily hair.  Some people just naturally have a very oily scalp.  Dying your hair will help with the oil as well as using volumizing products.  If your hair is really oily and you notice it during the day you can use a spray on dry shampoo to minimize the "shine".  Other than that I really don't know what can be done about it.

~Roxy

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Elizabeth N.
on 10/5/11 4:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, I dried out a bunch.

dgb123
on 10/5/11 4:52 am - Fairfax, VA
Yes.  my hair is certainly less oily.  I only have to wa**** once a week!!  It's colored and highlighted as well, so that may explain some of the dryness.  Interesting about the deodorant.  I've noticed the same thing.  To be honest, I was attributing it to age (I'm 54) and now I can't recall when it started being this way (before or after surgery).  So perhaps it IS the DS!

Donna

KarenFlorida
on 10/5/11 4:59 am - Orlando, FL
My skin / hair / scalp are all much dryer after surgery. In some ways it's a benefit (less hair washing) and in some ways it's a pain (I wash my hands a couple dozen times a day due to my job and my hands are slowly flaking away!)

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

sandy_mt
on 10/5/11 5:03 am
Thanks everyone for your answers.  I have hope now!  

I have been highlighting for years and as far as I know I do not have PCOS.  I'm just about at the 3-month mark, so my hair should start falling out any time now.  Every time I've had a baby or have been under anesthesia, 3 months after the procedure I start shedding.  As long as the pounds keep coming off, I'll be okay!

Sandy 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views