Losing Enthusiasm For Surgery??

ThisIsMyUserName
on 8/26/11 9:09 am

Is this normal? 3 or 4 months ago I would tackle any pre op issue with a vengence. I would dilligantly make all the proper calls and appointments. Now I honestly couldn't care less. My insurance approved the surgery last month and I feel no victory in this. I don't recognize it as a milestone or anything. I switched surgeons and now that office wants me to have a second psych clearance. I am not frustrated, or angry or any such thing over this. I come here and read people's sucess stories and look at the before and after pics and try and regain my enthusiasm but.... It's not doing it for me anymore.  Aside from repeating the psych eval, I must also repeat about half of the testing that I completed, again, Im not frustrated, or angry about this fact. It really feels like I am on some sort of hamsters wheel in terms of getting the surgery. Im no further from or closer to getting the surgery thanI was 11 and a half months ago when I stated this journey. I have insurance approval and nothing else. No Psych clearance, no surgeons clearance. And I really am sorta over the whole thing. I recognize the need for surgery in terms of my health. MY BMI is 55 probably closer to 56 and I have no real comorbids YET. I realize that the primary reason for this is due in part at least to my age. I am not a diabetic which seems to shock everyone. So I know I NEED this surgery. And I know that its worth all the hoops I have to jump through, but I really have lost my desire to keep dealing with the hoops.  I know that a lot of pre op's have that feeling that the surgery will never really take place. I am not sure if what I feel is normal, or my depression kicking into overdrive or perhaps now is really not the time to try and have the surgery... is this normal or????

KarenFlorida
on 8/26/11 9:39 am - Orlando, FL
Not caring about something that was once very important to you, sounds like depression to me. I'd pursue that theory.

Karen
butercup
on 8/26/11 9:55 am - Kennewick, WA
I agree. I think some depression has set in along with frustration from stagnation. How do you like all of those tion's?

Get some help for the depression and you'll feel better. Also, it's hard to keep enthusiasm up for that long. It'll get better once you get a date and it's for real. Hang in there.
Jolly Rancher
on 8/26/11 9:57 am
I totally read that as euthanism.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Elizabeth N.
on 8/26/11 10:10 am - Burlington County, NJ
If you have a history of depression, it's time to get evaluated and improve your treatment. This raises many flags for me.

If your depression is well managed and you truly see ZERO signs of a flare in the rest of your life, well, maybe you aren't ready yet.

However, this sounds like it's time to check on the depression management, or maybe to examine other psychological reasons that you might be engaging in self sabotage.

Finally, maybe you really just aren't ready yet and you're slowing yourself down for some good (to you at least) reason that as yet eludes your consciousness.

Band to DS
on 8/26/11 10:41 am, edited 2/3/12 10:58 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

beth-28
on 8/26/11 11:05 am
I'm tired of jumping thru hoops, but I am still enthusiastic about getting it (rabid may be a more accurate term...).

However, that being said, I too feel like I am on that hamster wheel.  I do not know if you are just burned-out by such a long journey, or if you are truely suffering from depression, but it can't hurt to talk to a professional.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

beemerbeeper
on 8/26/11 12:03 pm - AL
What surgeon did you switch from and to?

What were the reasons you wanted to get surgery when you started the process?

Are you in treatment for depression?  Do you have other signs of worsening depression?

I don't  know if i could have maintained my enthusiasm for 11 months and with more hoops that normal either.  I was lucky as my process only took about 4 months and I had basically the normal hoops.

I would look at the depression possibility and also into therapy for sure. 

~Becky

Diane Davis
on 8/26/11 12:47 pm
I never lost sight of my goal, but I went through lulls as well.  It was hard watching people jump right in and get their DS's while I sat and continued the inusrance woes.

Now look at me, I'm on the Dark Side and so happy I pursued.  It was almost a year for me too, so I understand how you feel.

Reevaluate your feelings, make sure it's what you want, make a decision, then stand on that decision.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
carebearsuzzan
on 8/26/11 2:58 pm - CA
I think your just tired,it over whelming running around to get all the tests done, in a hurry to wait... I just finnished all mine and I would be upset and a bit frustrated if I was to asked to repeat a test! i MEAN NO DOuBT I would get it done but maybe your excitment was replaced with frustration, I think you just need to take a couple days for your self , and think what it will be like after you see results , and know life is to short to be sad or depressed, find out who or what makes you happy , surgery is just a tool that will help us lead a healthy life style excitement and enthusisum comes from your lifestyle u lead, so find the - and replace with + cheer up! rest n see how you feel in a few days:)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views