Gaining During Pre-Op Phase

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 11:59 am
DS on 02/01/12
The first time I weighed at the doc's office, I was 367.5 (or something very close to that.) The lady who weighed me told me not to gain any weight, because the insurance company will look at it as if I'm not trying to lose weight, which, I didn't really understand, because inability to lose weight is why I'm having this surgery. Anyway, at my next appointment (2 weeks ago), I weighed 368 even. I have no idea how. Fluctuating water weight, perhaps? That tends to happen, especially to us ladies.

Has anyone else gained weight during the pre-op phase? I'm going to be utterly pissed if something like a few ounces screws everything up for me.
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 12:20 pm
 Geeesh, everybodys weight fluctuates from day to day and week by week. That's perfectly normal. I would not worry about that.

She has to be talking about a major gain like 10 pounds or so. My goodness some peoples weight will fluctuate 5-8 pounds from one weeks to the next.

Even now at my goal weight I fluctuate 2-4 pounds.
beemerbeeper
on 7/28/11 12:32 pm - AL
I don't even know if this is true or not, but my surgeon required a pre-op weight loss to help shrink my liver.  I was a light-weight but was able to lose some weight but my surgical report still says my liver was huge.

I think the size of your liver is probably more important if you are having lap surgery.

I saw THE BODIES exhibit when it was in Atlanta and they showed a fatty liver compared to a normal liver and OMG.  They aren't kidding.  That thing was HUGE.

So all that to say that if you can lose some weight before your surgery you really should.  Not just for your liver but to make everything a little easier.

~Becky

orangecrushed
on 7/28/11 12:44 pm - Triad, NC
I watched a recorded procedure on YouTube, and they really move the liver around a lot.  I was told that if it's fatty, it becomes very stiff, and they were having problems where it could potentially break in half.  Makes me sick just to think about that!!!

But, that's why they won't perform the surgery on you if they get in there, and the liver is too fatty.  Pretty serious stuff.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

butercup
on 7/29/11 10:57 am - Kennewick, WA
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 1:45 pm
On July 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM Pacific Time, Erika T. wrote:
The first time I weighed at the doc's office, I was 367.5 (or something very close to that.) The lady who weighed me told me not to gain any weight, because the insurance company will look at it as if I'm not trying to lose weight, which, I didn't really understand, because inability to lose weight is why I'm having this surgery. Anyway, at my next appointment (2 weeks ago), I weighed 368 even. I have no idea how. Fluctuating water weight, perhaps? That tends to happen, especially to us ladies.

Has anyone else gained weight during the pre-op phase? I'm going to be utterly pissed if something like a few ounces screws everything up for me.
I wouldn't worry about a half pound fluctuation. Your insurance should have anything to say about this. I was 441 when I had my initial surgery, and I did not lose anything pre op.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views