Introducing DS to PCP... need advice!

orangecrushed
on 7/27/11 12:40 am - Triad, NC
Hi all!
Next Monday I have an appointment with my primary doctor to discuss a few things with him.  One of those topics will be my decision to get DS over RNY. 

He practices in a small-ish town, so I very well may be his first DS patient (assuming I get my approval!).  I have seen some really good articles that explain the DS very well, and in plain English.  I'd like to know what are some of your favorites, so that I can print them out and take them to him?  

Also, what labs should I tell him that I will be expected to receive every year?  Right now, I have an auto-immune disease that causes me to get my CBC semi-annually.  Fortunately, that means I'll know where I stand pre-op.  But, perhaps there are things I need above and beyond the standard CBC.

Thank you so much for your input!
Nic
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 12:50 am, edited 7/27/11 12:55 am
orangecrushed
on 7/27/11 12:56 am - Triad, NC
I thought I'd gone over dsfacts with a fine tooth comb!  I sure was wrong.  Found the article, and it's absolutely perfect!  Thanks! :)

www.dsfacts.com/conversation-with-your-pcp.html for any other newbies who may be interested.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 1:00 am
beemerbeeper
on 7/27/11 4:37 am - AL
The labs you must get:

docs.google.com/Doc

~Becky

orangecrushed
on 7/27/11 6:58 am - Triad, NC
Thank you, Becky!

Sarah_Anne
on 7/27/11 7:29 am
I remember reading on here to tell your PCP that your intestinal configuration is like having short bowel syndrome.  My PCP got it at once and started reminding me I need to watch my vitamin levels and lectured me about taking my calcium.  I don't have to remind him that extended release dosn't work for me etc.  Plus I am pretty lucky that he is one bright guy.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
orangecrushed
on 7/27/11 9:50 am - Triad, NC
Thank you!  I looked this up, and many of the issues are similar.  Hopefully he'll have more experience with this one than the DS.  I'm pretty fortunate to have a great PCP!  He's been my doctor since I was 10.  I don't believe I'll have any issues explaining all of this to him, but I know how he is about the 'science' and 'facts'.  I wanted to provide him with as much of that as possible.  I think I have compiled enough info to go in there well armed! :)

"Just Elizabeth "
on 7/27/11 11:34 am - Houston, TX
I'm so glad you posted this! I had a FANTASTIC GP in Kuwait. She already knew all about the DS before I ever walked in her door. She was fabulous and I hated loosing her when I moved back home.

Now I'm home and I have an appointment with a doctor that was my GP 8 years ago, very much prior to my DS. I have no clue where she stands on WLS or if she will be trainable. I have all my records from Kuwait including my surgeon's records. I will also add all of this info to the packet that I'm putting together for her.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 695 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1011 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 340 views