why did you choose the DS ???

tanya8071
on 7/27/11 1:49 am
why did you chose the DS procedure and what were the pros and cons to it ?? i am still very undecided with what way to go with this decison ... thanks !
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 1:58 am - OH
If you go to the 2nd page on this forum the same question was asked yesterday, so you may get the answers you want from that thread.
Renee2007
on 7/27/11 3:52 am - Central, FL
 There's a ton of information found here 

http://www.dsfacts.com/

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

tanya8071
on 7/27/11 4:12 am
thanks for the info renee.. i will be checking that site out right now

beemerbeeper
on 7/27/11 4:35 am - AL
Once I got past the "its too good to be true so it must not be true phase" there was never any doubt for me.

I honestly can't understand why, once someone understands the difference between the surgeries, that anyone would pick another surgery save for some rare medical reasons.

The main reasons I picked the DS:

Best cure rate for type II diabetes which killed both my normal weight parents.  I won't ever get it.
Best long term maintenance of weight loss.  I could lose weight, I just couldn't keep the weight off.
Best long term eating plan.  I knew I could never live on a RnY diet for the rest of my life.
Able to take NSAIDs.  I'm 52 and know that I will need to take NSAIDs at times.
And finally this was my one and only shot at WLS.  I went with the best surgery and the best surgeon I could find.  I will not be seeking a revision in a few years that's for sure.

Read these:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4391498/RNY-insulin-carbs-we ight-regain-Articles/#36305662

www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-surgical-procedures.php

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Transcript-o f-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/

~Becky

tanya8071
on 7/27/11 5:30 am
i have been doing more research on the DS and i read that it is usually done in two differant surgeries.. was this case for anybody who had it done ???

becky i to feel that i can't live with the diet limitations from the RNY procedure so it seems that i am leaning more towards the DS day by day as i research it more.
beemerbeeper
on 7/27/11 5:37 am - AL
That is absolutely false.  It is RARELY done in two separate surgeries and then only for people who are so large or so sick or who have complications such as adhesions from prior surgeries that they can't be safely under anesthesia long enough to do the entire procedure.  A skilled surgeon can do the entire procedure in 3 hours or less on most people.

You actually don't WANT this surgery to be done in two operations becasue there is significant weight loss due to some synergy that happens when you get the sleeve and the intestinal rerouting done at the same time.  People who get the sleeve first and then the switch later have a much harder time getting to goal.

Keep reading!

~Becky

tanya8071
on 7/27/11 5:47 am
ok thanks becky i will :)   also was wondering how long of a hospital stay did you have after the surgery??? i have heard of people "saying" they came home the same day after a few hrs of being watched and other say they had to stay for a at least overnight to 3-4 days afterwards...

i also totally understand that ALL of my eating habits have to be changed drastically but i am soo ready for that, i have already started on my 2ndweek of the 1200 calorie diet since the dr recommended the surgery to me in hopes i can shed something if even only 5 lbs for now...  

i also have another question though, i never hear of anyone being able to eat fruit or veggies with the DS , is this just something no one is talking about for lack of conversation sakes or can you just not have them after the surgery  and/or as part of the new diet ???

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 6:31 am - Lancaster, OH
You need to read more.

Every day, "Majormom" posts a **Bites, Vites and Exercites** thread.  There you will find a sampling of a typical day, food-wise, in the life of a DSer.  Salad is not an unusual item to be found there.  To make it a better DS food, we tend to load them up with meat, cheese, eggs and full-fat dressings.  Do yourself a favor and read a few weeks' worth of those threads.

And, post DS, limiting calories isn't important, but limiting carbs is.  So, we're not shooting for 1200 calories per day, we're shooting for a low number of carbs.  That number varies with where you are in your journey.  Many people feel that keeping carbs around 50 per day while in the weight loss phase is a good idea.  Some can get by with more.  You really don't know until after surgery how your body is going to handle this.

And, I was in the hospital for 3 days after my surgery.  (I think.  It's kind of a blur.)
Joanlaptods
on 7/27/11 6:36 am
I had my DS in one step with removal of my lapband on a wednesday and was discharged on a friday.
Ican eat fruit and vegetables, actually I can eat anything but I choose not to eat a lot of either because they are carbs and I am trying to focus on eating protein and fat to optimize my weightloss.

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views