Why isn't the DS a more popular choice?

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 1:14 am, edited 7/26/11 3:50 am
First of all, please do not think that my question is a ploy to get some heated debate going because it's not. It's an honest question. I really do just want your opinion.

I came to this site not really knowing anything about the DS. I had attended a seminar where the surgeon performs adjustable gastric banding, RNY, VSG and a mini-gastric bypass. The morning after the seminar I received a phone call from the coordinator at the office... basically she told me that I was too fat for the band and my insurance wouldn't pay for the VSG so we needed to get on the road to a RNY. Umm... okay then... I let her schedule a NUT appointment, a psych consult and a consult with the surgeon.

I went to the NUT (who was truly at NUT) and had a bad feeling. I went to meet the surgeon one on one and had a worse feeling. I felt like I was at a cattle call, like nobody really cared about the questions I had and what would be best for me.

Since I've been researching, I've figured out that my insurance does pay for the VSG and even the DS but requires a BMI of 50 which I don't have. I've learned I can appearl and might even win that appeal. I've also heard of others with various types of insurance appeal and win.

I'm now planning on going to seminars with two different surgeons who do perform the DS to try to get the whole picture.

So... why isn't the DS a more popular choice? Is it lack of knowlege, unwillingness of people to fight for what they want, ???? Enlighten me on your opinions, please! 

Joanlaptods
on 7/26/11 1:22 am
Its a technically more difficult surgery for the surgeon to perform and generally takes more time to perform, so its less popular because surgeons choose to promote the simpler option rather than the more effective one.
Joan

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

Janine P.
on 7/26/11 1:25 am - Long Island, NY
Joan is correct - it's not as popular because it's harder to learn, harder to do, and requires more time to perform, so not many surgeons do it.  And even the surgeons that do do it, if they have any ethics, they'll explain to you how dangerous the surgery CAN be if you don't take care of yourself properly post op.  That scares people away sometimes.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 1:32 am
Thank you Joan and Janine for your thoughts.

Joan -- Your thoughts tend to go along with the cattle call feeling I was getting at the first surgeon's office I met with, which I think is crappy and don't like at all! 

Janine - I'll definitely be on the look out for the surgeons to explain the potenial complications.From what I've read and understand so far, problems are the exception, not the rule. Unfortunately with the RNY it seems like long-term, very high successes are the other way around, being the exception not the rule. I don't want to be in the same (or worse boat) 15 years from now, having gone through a surgery and had my guts rearranged.
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 1:31 am - Lancaster, OH
AND......
Frequently, insurance pays the same for a DS as an RNY.
If you could perform 6 RNY's in a day, or 2 DS's, which would you push your customers toward?
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 1:34 am
On July 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM Pacific Time, Caprice wrote:
AND......
Frequently, insurance pays the same for a DS as an RNY.
If you could perform 6 RNY's in a day, or 2 DS's, which would you push your customers toward?
crappy... financially smart for the docs but crappy all the same.

Thanks, Caprice! 
MarciRenee
on 7/26/11 1:31 am - IA
It IS a popular choice for those that learn of it before surgery AND go to a surgeon that actually, truly, honestly offers it as a surgical choice.  There are a LOT of WLS surgeons out there that are "bait and don't switch" surgeons - they tell you they do the DS to get you in the door and then scare this **** out of you with lies and half truths (that they actually know nothing about) about post-op DS life.  I too was RNY bound until I heard about the DS.  Once I had read a little bit about it I knew that it was for me, period.  I was already concerned about eating the RNY way (dieting forever, essentially) and the whole dumping and puking thing - um no thanks.

What peeps NEED to do is choose your surgery first and THEN find your surgeon.  NOT the other way around...b/c those surgeons that don't perform the DS are not going to be telling patients the truth about it and telling them it is the best choice for them b/c that is $$$ going out the door to another surgeon.

One of the issues is that far fewer surgeons do the DS.  That is b/c it is technically more difficult to perform, takes a longer time in the OR (less of them can be done), and takes additional training to learn how to do.  So the WLS that all they care about is $$$ are not going to 1. learn how to do it b/c it takes more time to learn about and 2. can do more RNY's so they just stick with that.  Therefore fewer DS surgeons.  You might (probably) will have to travel to find a DS surgeon that is vetted and knows that the hell he/she is doing.  I wouldn't recommend going to a surgeon that is not on the vetted DS surgeon list at
www.dsfacts.com.  If you do choose to do that - at least come here FIRST and check out his rep.  We have a lot of peeps who have been on here for years and know a lot about the reps of a LOT of surgeons.

Furthermore, with the power of the DS comes great responsibility.  I am not kidding about that.  You will be required to supplement heavily for life.  Have labs run at a minimum of annually, if not semi-annually.  And focus on eating high protein and lower carb.  All of those things are FOR LIFE and NOT negotiable.  Period.  And those are just the basics of keeping yourself healthy post-op.  If you aren't willing or able (financially or otherwise) to do those things post-op then the DS is not for you.
Marci       
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 1:38 am
On July 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM Pacific Time, MarciRenee wrote:

I was already concerned about eating the RNY way (dieting forever, essentially) and the whole dumping and puking thing - um no thanks.

EXACTLY!!! Thanks for your input. I'm going to seminars for two surgerons that are on the dsfacts website and both have profiles here on OH as well -- Dr. Sudan at Duke and Dr. Voellinger in Charlotte.

beemerbeeper
on 7/26/11 2:35 am - AL
The choice between sudan and V is night and day.  sudan.  sudan.  sudan.  If you need another good option: Smith in Marietta GA.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 3:32 am
Becky-
Thanks for your input. I live/work right in between Dr. Sudan and Dr. Voellinger. I was considering Voellinger as an option because he's affiliated with the hospital system (albeit in a different city) that I work but Dr. Sudan's numbers/background is much more appealing.

I just took a look at Dr. Smith's website and was impressed by the wealth of information there. I'm going to contact them as well.

Thanks again! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 695 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1011 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 340 views