Anyone here have a DS and have LUPUS?

offthewall34
on 6/16/11 5:31 pm - Bakersfield, CA
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this group, and I need as much advice/information as possible!  I had an RNY done almost 6 years ago, prior to being diagnosed with Lupus/Rheumatoid Arthritis/Sjogrens (all autoimmune diseases).  I have had some complications with the RNY, mainly pain with eating meats, dumping syndrome, and weight regain, which are some of the reasons why I am seeking a revision to a DS.  My Rheumatologist has said that it is very important that I lose the weight since it is putting a lot of pressure on my joints/aggravating my symptoms etc.  He is the one encouraging the revision.  I have an aggressive case of Lupus, which likes to flare every time I even think of going off my meds.  I have been asked by my bariatric surgeon (Dr Keshishian), to go off of Imuran for a month, and Steroids for as long as possible (or at least get on as low of a dose as possible).  My questions to you are these:  What  meds where you on for your Lupus when you had the surgery?  Did you feel that it took you a longer time to heal than an "average" person?  Did you have any complications due to your Lupus? How long after surgery were you able to start taking your Lupus meds again?  Is there anything I need to know as a Lupus patient that they may not have told me yet?  I am just scared, and yet I know that this is something that will potentially help me a lot in the long run.  Any words of wisdom are certainly welcome!
Thank you so much!
Deena
dana712
on 6/16/11 10:24 pm
Hi Deena

I also am having a revision with Dr. K  RNY to DS. I had my surgery in 2001. weighed 328 got down to 217, got pregant 16 months after surgery, and can not lose a pound I currently weigh 250. After the birth of my daughter I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Now this past November the doctor found that I have Hasmiotos ( autoimmune disease). I recently started getting very bad pains in my knees.So i am going for the revision I can not get this weight off. no matter what i do.

Good Luck
Dana

offthewall34
on 6/17/11 4:53 am - Bakersfield, CA
Thank you so much Dana!  Do you have a surgery date scheduled yet?  I am going in on July 26th.  If so, we can be surgery buddies ;o).  I currently weigh 235.  I am hoping this surgery will ease the stress from my already very tired/stressed/painful body.
Wishing you the best with your surgery...
Deena
dana712
on 6/17/11 5:17 am
Hi Deena

I am scheduled for July 20. I am  coming in from NYC.Maybe we will meet there.

Dana
offthewall34
on 6/18/11 5:42 pm - Bakersfield, CA
Hi dana,
I just got a denial letter from my insurance today in the mail.  Now I have to start the appeal process.  I am praying that things will still happen quickly, but I hear it can take a long time to get them over-turned.  I wish you the best with your surgery, and I hope that I am not too far behind you ;o)
Deena
kjfras
on 6/18/11 12:41 am, edited 6/18/11 12:46 am - North Lauderdale, FL

Try to reach out to e******grl - she had the DS and has been open about her lupus issues - she could answer your questions for you I'm sure!

Good luck!

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

offthewall34
on 6/18/11 5:40 pm - Bakersfield, CA
Thank you so much, I will!!  Any information would be so helpful!  I just got a denial of coverage letter in the mail today from my insurance company.  I can't believe it!  I have the surgery scheduled for July 26th.  I guess this throws a bit of a wrench into the plans, huh? lol.  Now I get to start the fun appeal process....rrrrrhhh. 
Take care,
Deena
momof2b1g
on 6/20/11 8:48 am - Warwick, RI
I have a ton of autoimmune issues. If you would like to PM me with any questions I would be more that happy to discuss them with you just not on the public boards. I hope you understand.

Hugs, Tiffany

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views