Today is my 19th birthday.

Jessyw
on 5/4/11 2:35 am - polarbears&igloos, AK
 Hello everyone! 
I hope everyone is doing good, I know its been a while since I've posted but I do lurk everyday. Today is my 19Th birthday . I wanted to post this because I know its been a while since I posted an update so I wanted to take the time to update you guys a bit.

Today is one of the days that means the most to me, not only because its my birthday but like some of you who are on my facebook know, my 19th and 20th birthday are the days doctors bet I would never get to see. 

That 'bet' has been with me ever since and I was determined to prove them wrong and to actually not only live, but to really be alive, and happy and healthy. This is the first birthday in my life where I am not Morbidly Obese. 

I started this journey by beginning to research my options at the age of 14, I discovered (with all of your wonderful help) the DS at the age of 16 and had my DS 2 months after my 17th birthday.

Also I'm not sure if I posted an update about my nomination ceremony, but it went very well. This is what was written about me by the mayor assistant that he read to the audience:

"Jessica Williams has experienced something most people won’t, either as a young person or an adult: saving her own life. Her journey from victim of a rare disease to a champion and advocate for her own health is an inspiring one, especially given her youth and total inexperience in navigating the health care industry.
  As a freshman, Jessica struggled with weight. As a sophomore, she began having trouble with her legs. They would swell to double in size, to the point where she could’t even put on her shoes without extreme pain. It became too painful to walk, and she began missing school. After visiting her first doctor to consult about the problem, she was told that she was “just fat" and to “not eat so much." But Jessica knew something else was wrong. After missing so much school because of her disability, Jessica was withdrawn from her classes. She continued to struggle with her painfully swollen legs, and her weight continued to skyrocket. Ultimately, she reached over 500 pounds.
  Jessica began researching her condition, and came to the conclusion that she needed weight loss surgery to save her life. She poured through medical journals and read scores of articles online. She continued her quest by visiting with several doctors, all of whom told her she was not a candidate for surgery. Still, Jessica persisted, driven by her inner voice that told her something was wrong with her. She just knew it, and so she pressed on.
  During this time, Jessica self-diagnosed herself with a condition called Lymphedema, which causes extremely painful swelling due to a blockage of the lymph passages .A doctor confirmed her suspicions, and Jessica was validated in knowing that her pain was real and not imagined. Buoyed by her success, she persisted in her quest for weight loss surgery.
  After years of anxiety and stress about her health, Jessica finally found a surgeon who would operate on her. The challenge was that he practiced in Brazil and the price tag was steep. Still, she hoped for a miracle. One finally came months later when an unexpected legal settlement came to the family. It was just enough to pay for the surgery, and Jessica was on her way.
  In July of 2009, weighing in at 535 pounds, Jessica had her surgery in Brazil. Before the procedure, medical staff prepared her for serious potential complications: a collapsed lung, serious infection, even death were all possible. Three weeks later, she was healthy enough to travel home.
  After healing and learning how to live a healthy lifestyle, Jessica enrolled in NineStar because it offered options for students with special cir****tances. She is taking classes now and is laser-focused on getting her diploma and eventually attending college. She is a living example of what young people with a goal can achieve, and is a true inspiration to those who know what it best for them, and never give up."

When the mayor was reading my story and I stood next to him on the stage, I saw a couple people getting teary eyed and some women even started crying, after everything was read it was my turn to make my speech, I did and with passion. Which resulted in a standing ovation 

I now have a 4 year scholarship to college. I remember when they announced our scholarships and called us  up to get our envelopes, the man who passed them out kept saying "Congratulations, hope to see you there." but when I went to him to get my papers he said "Congratulations, I KNOW I will see you there." 

On another note, I  am currently stuck at 287.7 pounds, and it refuses to move. I've been at this weight for the last 3 months, I gain a couple pounds, then loose a couple, always going back to 287. I've noticed that most of my body is skin, if you were to take my extra skin I would be pretty small. This skin is a pain, it gets in my way, it needs high maintenance and its just overall not working for me. So my next goal, hope and dream is to get it all removed. I have ridiculous amounts of it, but I understand. Being 535 pounds would do that to you lol. 

Overall I am very very happy. I couldn't ask for anything better and I absolutely love my DS. Thanks for reading! 
-Jessy

Hello, my name is Jessica  I'm 20 and I got my DS!! check out my page. 

I love my DS!!!!   sw(535)/cw(220)/goal (?)
  Wanna learn about the DS? Come to the DS forum or check out these websites:
                  http://www.dsfacts.com/ OR http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
* Gail R *
on 5/4/11 2:38 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Thank you for posting Jessie and Happy Birthday!
Your posts are so inspirational to so many. I always send a copy to my daughter who is your age. You have no idea how many people you help and inspire.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 2:49 am
Happy birthday. My story is very similar, except I was in college when my health went down the tubes. My GERD and sleep apnea were so bad, I couldn't even sit through a lecture. I got to the point where I was barely able to get out of bed or walk, and I dropped out. I was just 21, and I had been in the ER many times for chest pain and abdominal pain. I had gastric bypass and lost over 270 pounds, but I had complications with my surgery and was recently revised to the DS.

teachmid
on 5/4/11 2:53 am - OKC, OK
You are an inspiration. Happy Birthday!!!!!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 3:17 am - Bayonne, NJ
Happy Birthday, beautiful! You are truly living life, and I'm really proud of all you've accomplished! 
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 3:22 am
Jessy,

You are truly a beautiful person, inside and out.

I am so proud of you, I could burst!

Michele
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 3:23 am - TX
Happy Birthday, dear one.  You are a treasure.  I got all teary-eyed reading your post.  If it matters, I am SO very proud of you and I can't wait to see your next steps.
sarah141
on 5/4/11 3:26 am - Fort Bragg, CA
Happy Birthday!  You are such a wonderful young woman! You are inspiring in so many ways.  I know you'll be enjoying your life!  I think of you often & share  your story with others.  I wish you nothing but love & happiness! 
 - Sarah    (Don't tell anyone I'm a secret ninja warrior!)
Visit: ThugRadio.Net, twitter.com/ThugRadio, sarah-anderson.artistwebsites.com/

~ Mar ~
on 5/4/11 4:21 am - San Antonio, TX
Happy Birthday Jessy!! You are a true inspiration! I got a lump in my throat as I read your post. I am so happy for you, all you have accomplished, and all I know you will accomplish!! I can't wait to see what is next in your life. You deserve every blessing that comes your way!

~Mar~

Julie R.
on 5/4/11 4:22 am - Ludington, MI
Well, sheesh, now you've even got ME crying.   
Happy Birthday, my little sweet one.
Which college are you going to?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 695 views