Best DS surgeon for self-pay?

KarenFlorida
on 4/17/11 11:17 pm - Orlando, FL
Hello-
I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for a while.  I am hoping/planning to have DS surgery sometime this year.  My health insurance does not cover bariatric surgery, and therefore I will be self-pay.  I am trying to locate the  DS surgeons in the US who have the lowest self-pay rates.  I am a medical professional, a surgical PA in fact, and I do understand that the lowest price is not always the best.  I am looking for experienced, reputable surgeons, but will tend to gravitate toward an experienced, reputable surgeon with the best rates!  I live in Florida, and to my knowledge there are no DS surgeons in Florida, so I am  prepared to travel.  I would appreciate any help you guys can give on this! 
Karen
Elizabeth N.
on 4/17/11 11:23 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Your best choices for self pay in the USA are Dr. William Peters in PA, Dr. Daryl Stewart in TX and Dr. Paul Kemmeter in MI. Their contact information is on www.dsfacts.com . All three are outstanding surgeons of excellent reputation.

If you choose to go to Mexico, there is ONE option, and that is Dr. Gilberto Ungson in Hermasillo. Ignore all other names, no matter what anyone says. You might well be contacted by someone from the practice of another Mexican surgeon based on this post. It happens sometimes. Do not go there.

Another possible self pay option would be Dr. Michel Gagner in.....oh darn, I want to say Toronto but I don't think that's right. Someone else will likely jump in here shortly with his current information.
P. Poster
on 4/17/11 11:35 pm
 Dr. Gagner in Montreal :)

You can also look into Dr. Hazem Elariny in Vienna, Virginia- but I am not sure of his self pay rates (though I know he accepts them and is a GREAT surgeon).   The surgeons that EN mentioned are ones with great rates, and as she mentioned, stellar records as well.
Elizabeth N.
on 4/18/11 12:58 am - Burlington County, NJ
Ah yes. I knew I was thinking too far west :-).  What's his updated contact info, do you know?
P. Poster
on 4/18/11 11:07 pm
 I believe this is the most current info.  Not sure on his email address, maybe one of his happy patients can chime in here?

315 Place D'Youville
Suite 191
Montreal , QC H2Y 0A4
Phone: 914-772-4890

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 9:30 pm
His email is [email protected]

I'm not sure that is his correct phone number though as it looks like a USA area code.

The best way to contact him is email, he is usually very prompt at replying (:
OneLastshot
on 8/23/16 7:51 am

Do you have any idea (ballpark) of the cost of DS for Dr.Peters? Are we talking 10K? 25K? Thanks in advance. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 12:37 am - Lancaster, OH
Not only does Dr. Ungson offer one of the best self-pay rates, he is one of the best DS surgeons in North America.
I went there knowing precious little Spanish, and having no idea where I needed to go.  He sent someone to pick me up at the airport, and I was delivered to the hospital.
The hospital was the cleanest hospital I've EVER been in.  Excellent care, very nice staff.
If you are a "virgin" DS, I would encourage you to consider going a bit out of your comfort zone.

I have no regrets at all that I went to Dr. Ungson.
Wishing you the best, whatever your decision.
scubadiva
on 4/18/11 2:01 am
I remember being in your same shoes.  I was self pay and wanted the best at the most affordable but didn't want to go outside the USA.  I did it with Gagner when he was in Florida for $20,000.  I was a revision from a lap band but his price was the same for a revision or not.  He was at least $10,000 cheaper than Rabkin or Keshesian at the time I was looking.  I looked into them as well.  Gagner is not in it for the money and he is an EXCELLENT surgeon--do a google or pub med search and see all the stuff he has written.  I don't know how it is with his self pay prices now that he is in Canada.  I'm sure he is still very reasonable though.  I could not afford complications, so I really wanted the BEST.  It was a scary decision but I made the right one.  Rabkin or Keseshian (spelling is wrong) would have been great as well.  It's just they were more expensive so I went with Gagner.  Good luck!
goodkel
on 4/18/11 5:08 am
I agree with Caprice. Hermosillo is only an hour's flight from Phoenix, so you're still close to the US. A virgin DS will run you around $13k, plus travel expenses. I went alone (also not speaking Spanish), but there's a comfortable couch in your room where a companion can stay to cut down on hotel expenses.

You'll stay in the hospital about 4-5 days and then in a local hotel for another 4-5 days for about $85/day.

I had a minor complication and stayed in the hospital 8 days. I was only charged $100/day for the hospital (round the clock nursing and "meals"). All the tests, scans, and a second surgery were all included in the original price. So, the complication cost a grand total of about $75.00 ( subtracting what I would have been paying for the hotel, anyway)

There's a review on the left side of my profile if you'd like to read more.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views