Ulcer won't heal

Nut Picker
on 11/12/04 8:44 am - Council Bluffs, IA
I'm sooo frustrated. I have had an ulcer in my pouch since my RNY. It's a long story, but the GI doctor who I finally found who agreed to treat me, can't remember what he has told me to do or take, I have to cover the same ground every time I am lucky enough to see him, I am in the same condition right now as I was when I first saw him in July. I left a message on Wed and the nurse just called me back tonight at 6:00 pm. I haven't gotten anywhere with this doc. I'm in terrible pain, hot, stabbing pain, can't lay down, can't stand up straight, can only eat very soft foods, really sick. I need help and I'm not going to get it at this doctors office. He's done two very expensive scopes which confim "your stomach is a mess, hasn't healed from the gastric bypass" but just tells me to take the same meds, cause he can't remember what he told me to take the last time!!!! This is the third GI I've seen, the other two wouldn't even talk to me about the gastric bypass. How do I find a GI doc that knows what to do? I tried to find a program, but no one wants to pick up the mess after another surgeon. HELP!!!
diminishingdeborah
on 11/13/04 1:00 am - New York, NY
Hi There, I can see why you are frustrated. Your situation troubles me because it seems that since you had surgery noone worth their salt is willing or able to help you. Does your surgeon have any suggestions or have you parted company since s/he messed you up? I was thinking that there should be a GI at the hospital where he/she practises that you can be referred to as part of a team. I hope you are able to find someone to help you very soon. DD
Nut Picker
on 11/13/04 2:54 am - Council Bluffs, IA
There wasn't any program with the surgeon that did my surgery. I was really stupid and believed what this doctor told me at the time. I didn't go looking for bypass surgery, I was referred to this surgeon for a completely different reason and he had me scared to death if I didn't have this surgery. When it was finally discovered 5 months later that I had a ulcer, I got a certified letter from this surgeon that he would no longer see me and I could not go to any other hospital or clinic connected with the health system he was in. So I was left hanging out in the wind to figure it all out. Add to that the fact that I'm on disability and financially challenged, I just can't find GOOD medical care. I just really don't know where to go from here. I've asked all the doctors I 've seen for other reasons, I'm not getting anywhere. This web site has been a lifesaver, I had no idea what I was doing when I had the bypass, I got no info at all from the surgeon, he said that wasn't his job!!! I am so tired of being stonewalled from the "brotherhood"!!!
Molly J.
on 11/15/04 10:17 am - Fruitland Park, FL
I hate to say this but it sounds to me like you need to go see an attorney. How can this doctor botch up what he did to you and leave you out there hanging. I'd get an attorney and get this doctor to pay for fixing what he messed up. If it was something he did wrong. Why is this Doctor against helping you?
Nut Picker
on 11/15/04 11:02 am - Council Bluffs, IA
I've tried to find an atty too, I contacted Viscio/Resnikoff in NY I found through this web site and they couldn't find anyone within 150 mi that would talk to me. I've called the other TWO atty's I've found/heard about locally and they aren't interested either. I don't know what the deal is, I can't seem to get answers from anyone. I have no idea what the surgeon's deal is, the GI doc is convinced the problem is the prednisone (5mg) I took for 2 yrs for my rhumatoid arthritis, but the rhumy doc says the prednisone won't cause this problem, and a lot of the reason I had this RNY is because the surgeon told me I HAD to have it to solve my Gerd, Barrett's esophagus, gastritis, etc. I did talk to the GI office and they have scheduled me for another endoscopy for FRI. I've been off the prednisone for 3 1/2 weeks now, can barely move and in horrible pain, and my stomach doesn't feel any better, lots of pain,bad reflux. I will do this scope and see what they say cause I have no other course of action.
Most Active