4 weeks out, need nausea advise

Renea C.
on 2/22/04 12:58 am - royal oak, MI
I'am 4 weeks out and hve had to have a second surgery, acute pain? The Dr. looked at all organs, thankful to not have leak. But the pain and accute nausea are getting to me. I dont want to question the operation, but I truly feel so sick. Can any one tell me what has helped them. Protein shakes stay down for a second. G tube is still in, I crush all meds and everything goes through it.At this point I can only have ice chips. No food. Any help will be appreciated. Thankyou, Renea
Jan W.
on 2/22/04 5:40 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Hi Renea, Sorry to hear you have nausea and pain. While I didnt have pain - except what I thought could be atributed to the surgery, I had horrible nausea. I could not keep down anything. I had a super keen sence of smell and anything I would smell (including perfume, aftershave, smoke, onions) would make me start the dry heaves. I didnt have in a G tube so I became severly dehydrated. On one of the visits to the emergency room for dehydration, they were doing a study of a drug for nausea called Zofran. Zofran is approved for cancer chemo patients, but this study was to test the drug for patients that presented from nausea from other reasons. They told me that after they gave me the shot, if I fell asleep it was the traditional medication - but if I stayed awake it was probably the Zofran. I got remarkable relief from the nausea and stayed awake so I asked the ER doc to give me a perscription for pills. That seemed to help me get through the next weeks. However I could not tollerate the protein drinks for several weeks. My doctor said the nausea was a rare reaction in one person in about a 100. He kept assuring me that one day it would go away. I had the surgery on 7/14/02. I got the pills somewhere around the middle of August and by the middle of September things started turning around. Much of that time I took only half of the Zofran tablet (they are very expensive - but luckily my insurance covered a 30 day supply). I know your doctor will tell you to get 60 grams of protein and 64 oz of water. But just do the best that you can to get through this period. Keep well hydrated, even if you have to go in once in a while and get hydrated by IV's. I know what you are going through is pure hell, but..... It will magically go away one day. As of today I have lost 110 lbs and I feel better than I have in years. At the beginning of October my energy began to come back and I was able to eat and tollerate some protein drinks (I use Real Meals). I think back on the days of nausea and remember that I wondered what the heck I had done and some days I even wondered if I would slowly die of malnutritian. See if you can get a perscription for the Zofran and if you are experiencing what I did, I think you will find some relief. Jan
regina M.
on 3/9/04 2:35 am - newark, oh
I also had severe nausea and I had to have a second surgery due to it. Something about haveing excess water in the "Y" area. After the surgery the nausea was not as bad but i still had it. I used the phenagran 3x a day as my doc perscribed and started to feel a bit better. The only thing that really helped was getting that g tube out. I think it was something psychological but after it was out i started to feel a lot better. That tube had a bad smell to it and that was making me sick to my stomach. I was very sick before that and never thought i would get better. i was absolutely miserable. so i know how you feel. i did not believe my doctor when he told me i would get better because i was always feeling soooo bad. but eventually i did get better ....everyone told me this and i found it hard to believe but i am telling you the same thing....IT DOES GET BETTER!!!! God Bless Regina
lc C.
on 3/11/04 2:15 pm - clute, TX
renea,--i have heard that it could be related to the opening being too tight, and they can fairly easily go in and stretch it a bit. i think it is the esphoigal opening. hope that helps.
Jessica O.
on 4/18/04 9:46 am - Apple Valley, MN
I had my surger 12/3/03, and had chronic nausea, as well as a host of other problems that kept me in the hospital for 3 months following my surgery. I had a couple of surgeries following my initial gastric bypass (RNY). They couldn't really tell what exactly helped the nausea and vomitting because they were doing so much to me at one time (feeding tubes, zofran and a host of other anti nausea medicines, surgeries, etc.) but the Dr. thinks that the nausea, and my inability to keep ANYTHING down was attributed to my new pouch being completely ulcerated. I really and truly thought that I was going to die. My Dr. was even scared for me. Everytime he went out of town for a seminar or even a family emergency he would make sure that he would call me in my hospital room, sometimes even at midnight or so to make sure that I was doing alright, and getting everything that I needed. It does get better!! I am now 5 months post and -85 lbs. I don't regret the surgery now-FINALLY! God bless, and I will pray for you.
Most Active