12 yrs post op RNY and now sphincter closing

Gramma5
on 3/15/17 3:58 pm

Hi, I'm Cindy and have been blessed with this surgery almost 13 yrs ago. It's been a relatively good recovery and I've lost the weight I wanted to and maintained these years until a year ago. My esophageal sphincter started closing off. Drs do not know why. I've had two endoscopies to open it up but they did not work. Unless I eat my food now almost in pablum form and super slowly I will throw it up. This happens on an average of 3-4 times a week. Some days it's good if I stick to really slow eating and semi-liquid form, other days no matter what I do, it comes up every meal. Luckily my dentist says it has not harmed my teeth because the food gets stuck before it enters my stomach and therefore the gastric juices have not gotten to the food yet. I am always in pain after eating and it's getting really old, but I don't have the "good insurance" anymore that I had years ago. It would be considered "elective" and not covered. I am now working on getting approval for a 'necessary' reversal, but 1)am scared to death that if I do get this I will gain the weight back, 2)if I don't have this done, how long can I go on living this way. I'm not a young woman anymore (62) and this is quite taxing on my body and quite frankly I'm so tired of throwing up all day.

Sorry for venting but I cannot talk to anyone about this that doesn't understand bariatric surgery. I panic if I leave my house without my Mylanta or Tums/Rolaids. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening so far out of surgery and if so/what their story is.

Thanks!

Cindy

NickM1267
on 10/4/17 3:03 am
RNY on 07/31/17

I'm sorry you are having these issues. I was wondering how your situation turned out. Did you end up having a reversal?

jmk187
on 1/12/19 7:23 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Wow this is quite scary. 13 years out and having a complication like this. I didn't even know RNY surgery was reversible. I hope you can give us an update on what happened. Is a reversal rerouting all the intestines back the way they used to be? I assume the stomach would still be small though because when they staple off the stomach it becomes atrophied(so my dietician told me)

Most Active