Kidney Cancer

runwolf
on 3/14/06 4:00 am - Huntsville, AL
5 months after WLS, I was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer. 11 days later, I had the affected kidney removed. That was on February 15th. So far, there have been no plans for Chemo or Radiation or any other treatment. It wasn't easy, the surgery left me tired and in pain for weeks. I'm back at work now, a month later, but not back to 100%. But the prognosis is good that I beat the cancer. 6 month check ups for the next 5 years.
Valerieb09
on 3/16/06 4:24 am - Seacoast, NH
Hi Michael, I too had kidney cancer. It was discovered in August, 2003 while I was having pre-op tests for gastric bypass. I had my right kidney removed in October, 2003. I am fine and grateful it was discovered when it was as I had no symptoms whatsoever. My mother also had kidney cancer, same kidney, etc. hers was removed 33 years ago and she is fine. She was 38 at the time and I was 48. Never dreamed I would get the same type of cancer as her. They don't do chemo or radiation as it is not necessary if the cancer is contained within the kidney. You were lucky like me. I am now in the process of trying to get lapband surgery. I am a little surprised that you said you had so much pain from your surgery. I went back to work after four weeks. I felt okay but a little shaky the first week. I was wondering how they cut you, they cut me in the front but my mother was cut along her side into her back. They call that the flank cut. My doctor was undecided until the morning of surgery on where he was going to cut me. I think he was a little scared because I am morbidly obese. But everything worked out well and I am glad to be cancer free. Valerie
runwolf
on 3/16/06 8:20 am - Huntsville, AL
I also returned to work about 4 weeks after surgery. It was performed "lap - hand assist" and I got two tiny holes above my belly button and one 4 inch cut along my right side. The pain was mostly because of the RNY Gastric Bypass I had a mear 4 months prior to the surgery. The gas they used to blow me up for the lap procedure squished my stomach and made me sick and caused me pain. The doctor was pretty suprised, but was also "Well, you're the newest Gastric Bypass patient I've worked with... ever. We're writing new ground with you." The pressure from the gas kept me from eating and I ended up back in the hospital dehydrated.
Valerieb09
on 3/16/06 8:46 am - Seacoast, NH
I am sorry you had a rough time with your cancer surgery. My doctor offered to do the surgery lap and I refused. My research indicated I was not a good candidate being MO with a lot of belly fat. Plus my tumor was huge, didn't want them to cru**** to get it out which is what they do. They automatically figured the tumor was cancer, which it was clear cell carcinoma. Years ago, they would go in thru an artery and do a biopsy of the tumor first. That's what my Mom had done. Nowadays they skip that procedure and automatically figure its cancer. I know a man who was also in the gastric bypass program I was in. He had kidney cancer of his right kidney also, they removed half of his kidney as tumor was on the outside. Then he went on to have his RNY surgery about six mos. later. Dennis is doing fine. I saw him last year and we both joke that we got kicked out of the program because of our kidneys! My local hospital was just starting out a new bariatric program. I was going to be surgery #5 and Dennis was right behind me. It's kind of hard to get a diagnosis of cancer. I don't think most people realize what it's like to walk that road. I am a single parent and very grateful that it was found by accident having pre-op gallbladder scan. I do look at life a little differently now. Valerie
Pegtrala
on 3/25/06 4:19 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Michael. I'm glad they found your cancer early. Sounds like you have been through alot, but it also sounds like you are a fighter. Good for you. I am still recovering from my second round of surgery for stomach cancer, but I am hoping to beat the odds. Good luck, and let us know how you're feeling. Peg
Loni*
on 5/3/06 12:40 pm - TX
Michael, I just found this board and saw your post and wanted to let you know that I also was diagnosed with Kidney cancer 6 yrs ago this month. I also had my kidney removed and required no additional treatments. Keep the faith, God has great things for you to accompli**** has been kind of hard for me to accept that the Dr's think that no more check up are necessary after 5 yrs. I'm just so thankful for the gift of this life of mine. Take care, Loni
dotty_jo
on 8/24/06 10:58 am - Newington, GA
I had rencal cell carcinoma aka kidney cancer. I had my right kidney removed July 13, 2005. I also did not require other treatments. I do still have to see my dr every 6 months. I had my WLS March 14, 2006. I do get a little concerned that too much protein is not good for the kidneys. I get nervous with having only the 1 kidney. Good luck to you, Dotty
Ohiogirl
on 9/3/06 1:22 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
Can't believe I just found this board and also that there so many of us who have had our right kidney removed due to cancer. I was diagnosed with renal cell of the right kidney in Feb 2001 - had my kidney removed - lap-hand assist and so far so good. As soemone else mentioned - it is scary that after five years they don't need to do the 6 month checkups. I was 49 when diagnosed and had no symptoms - found accidently while being checked for diverticulitis. I had the LapBand surgery in Sept 2004 - so far I have not been successful with it. I wonder if RNY is the right thing for me now. Still morbidly obese, high BP, prediabetic and only one kidney. It is frightening to me what will happen if I do not lose weight. Thanks for letting me vent. A cancer diagnosis does make one's life different - I feel I was spared for a reason - but I'm not holding up my end of the bargain. Paula L. (Ohio)
David147
on 7/3/15 11:06 pm

If you are concerned about your kidneys, get a urine test done. They will know immediately if you have a kidney problem. As for the sickle trait, I am a student who studies biology and having joint pain is extremely common with people with sickle shaped blood cells as they block the normal blood cells from passing through veins and capillaries.

David147
on 7/3/15 11:08 pm
Most Active