3 month Anniversary

Pegtrala
on 11/12/05 9:51 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my joy and thankfulness. Today marks 3 months since I had my surgery, and I am cancer free! You can read the details by clicking on my 2-month post. I really hope someone else will post to this message board. I know it has really helped to post on other ones, and I'm sure there must be someone else out there who has/had cancer and wants to write. If not, I guess I will just have to write again! God bless. Peg
lrosenda
on 11/16/05 8:49 am - Magna, UT
Hi Peg, It is great to read your message. I think the "life sentence" of worrying about cancer returning can be quite trying. You must be so grateful that your cancer was discovered! Myself, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in November 2001. So, I'm a 4 year survivor...woohoo! It was found when I turned 40 and had my very first mammogram. How is your health now? Lori 384/274/170
Pegtrala
on 11/16/05 11:39 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi Lori. Thanks for writing. I am getting better and stronger every day. I have a ways to go, but I know I am going to get there. I am really blessed that my cancer was diagnosed when it was. I guess most stomach cancers are found too late, so the survival rate isn't very good. I had been having ongoing stomach problems for the past 10 years, and my gastroenterologist had done an upper endoscopy at the end of 2002. I changed to a new PCP at the beginning of 2004, and he did some blood work. It showed that I was very anemic, so he had me go back to my GI doctor, who did another endoscopy. It showed that I had a real problem going on. I had more tests, and they said I needed to have all or part of my stomach removed. When they did the surgery in April of 2004, they discovered that I had stomach cancer. They removed 9/10 of my stomach and my gallbladder. What was left of my stomach looked like healthy tissue. I went in for what I thought would be a routine upper endoscopy 4 1/2 months later in September. Things looked unusual, so they did another scope using an ultrasound with it. I thought, as did my doctors, that maybe it was just scar tissue. However, I went back this past January, and they did another scope, and they discovered that I was producing abnormal tissue again in my stomach. From that point on, it was a series of more tests and more scopes. My GI doctor presented my case at a meeting of several doctors, and they all felt I should have the rest of my stomach removed. I got second, third, and fourth opinions before finally deciding to have the surgery, which I did August 12th of this year. I'm so glad now that I had the surgery. I hope and pray that there aren't any dormant cells floating around anywhere, and I will continue to count down the time until my 5th anniversary when I can say that I'm cured. It's so great to hear that you are a 4-year survivor. One more year and you will feel cured! How are you dealing with everything? Did you end up having chemo? My mom was a survivor. She lived cancer-free for 25 years after her bout with breast cancer. Congrats on your spectacular weight loss too! I started out at 274 before my first surgery and was at 230 before my second surgery. Right now, I am at 205, but the scales are just crawling. Part of it is that I am able to eat foods again. I really need to watch the grazing! Although I plan to lose more weight, I also need to make sure to eat healthfully so that I can regain my strength. It's kind of a balancing act at times, isn't it. I hope you write again sometime, Lori. It would be great to keep this cancer message board going, don't you think? Peg
lrosenda
on 11/19/05 6:05 am - Magna, UT
Peg, I'm surprised that more people are not posting to this message board. I know there are lots of folks on here who are like us. I did not have chemo. I had 4 surgeries (but still have my breast) and then I did 7 weeks/5 days a week of radiation treatments. I've been taking tamoxifen ever since. The tamoxifen made my uterus go "pre-cancerous" so I had to have a complete hysterectomy. So, it has been a challenge, but, I feel so thankful. I'm happy to stay in touch with you. I don't always get to read and/or post every day though. So, don't feel bad if you don't hear from me for a few days. I'm off to dinner with a couple of close friends now. Should be fun! Have a great day! Lori 384/274/170
Most Active