RYN vs. VSG for long-term cancer patient

highaim
on 11/7/10 3:57 am

In 2003, at age 30, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIc inflammatory breast cancer. In 2006 I had a metastatic recurrance. Since 2003, the inactivity, eating due to nausea, steroids, loss of ovaries/hormones (surgical), and emotional eating has caused me to gain over 100 pounds, making me now 150 pounds overweight.

My brother was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 27. I test negative for gentic markers for both colon and breast cancer.

I would like to have bariatric surgery. My surgeon is recommending RYN over VSG. I ininitally wanted VSG because of the malabsorbtion issues with RYN, concerns about colon cancer, and the potential issues with marginal ulcers, etc.. My hair is already disgustingly thin because of loss of estrogen and having lost it to chemo so many times prior. And I am already osteopenic, at 37 year old, because of the estrogen loss and chemotherapy. But I was concerned about the large blood pressure pill, vitamin B complex (for neuropathy), and calcium pills I must take. The surgeon says that with VSG the pills could "get stuck". I think really the issue is that he hasn't done many, if any VSGs, and because my BMI is so high, he believes RYN is the better choice.

I am still in chemotherapy (targeted), which I will be doing the rest of my life, until they find a cure, or I have another reccurance. I am not immunocompromised with this treatment, but if I did have to go back into a more aggressive chemotherapy, I am wondering if RYN will cause an issue for me? (I also take coumadin, as I had a DVT from my portacathe, and as long as I have a portacathe, I have to conitnue on the coumadin).

Does anyone know anything about the risks of colon cancer in correlation with bariatric surgery? And, what are the thoughts on RYN vs. VSG for someone in a situation such as mine??
YankeeRose
on 1/27/11 1:27 am - Meadville, PA
Hi, I wish I had an answer for you but I have been wondering the same thing. I had endometrial and ovarian cancer and had a hysterectomy in '09. I am in remission and my surgeon has recommended RNY for me also. My grandfather had colon cancer which they is genetic and related to female gynecologic cancers such as uterine and ovarian cancer. Last night I had blood in my stool and now I am scared that I may have colon cancer. I know it could be just hemorrhoids but after having cancer and with a family history of colon cancer, it really worries me. So anyways, I wish I could answer your question but I am also looking for answers (which is why I came on the cancer message board. If you find anything out please let me know. Thanks and good luck.

Tammy

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

dixienorco
on 2/18/11 7:06 am - Norco, CA
My journey is somewhat similar to your.  I was accepted to go to bariatric classes and during my routine mammogram-breast cancer was found.  It was triple negative in nature, so I had surgery, chemo and radiation.  I was still focused on getting healthy and losing weight for me.  I thought for me, it was best that I have vsg over rny if I had to go through chemo again.  I needed the nutrition to survive the chemo.  I did have vsg on June 21, 2010. I have lost 70 lbs which is slow to me compared with other folks but I feel good, healthier, exercising.  Losing the weight has given me a new lease on life.  I wonder if I had rny would I be losing more.  would it be less of a struggle? All I call tell you make the decision that your gut tells you to. Either one, you still have to work it.  I am very happy I had the surgery and hope to lose more.  Don't let cancer or threat of cancer stand in your way of living.
Most Active