Oral Chemo after GB?

G. Daddy
on 11/3/10 5:37 pm - San Gabriel, CA
Hi folks - I had my GB in 2005 and physically have been doing very well, though I've been dealing with some regain over the past year or so.

I recently was diagnosed with testicular cancer - just had surgery today to to remove the infected testical and was told that depending on the pathology report might be doing oral chemo.

I'll be asking my oncologist this quesiton as well, but won't be seeing them for a week or two, so I thought I'd ask if any of all y'all know - with the mal-absorption issue of GB, is oral chemo still an option? It sounds like a good alternative to having to go the IV route...

I'm just beginning to do my own research so any info would be helpful!

thanks,
gene

RNY 05/05 280/155/225

nannergut
on 3/31/11 2:59 pm
What oral chemo are they talking about?

nanners
G. Daddy
on 3/31/11 3:27 pm - San Gabriel, CA
Hi Nanners - My urologist was originally talking oral, but I ended up doing one dose of chemo and just got did my first 3mo follow - looking good so far!

thanks,
gene

RNY 05/05 280/155/225

David147
on 6/10/15 4:59 am

Well first of all, primary brain cancer isn't staged, so I assume you mean grade four which would be glioblastoma multiforme. That's the most deadly form of brain cancer. If she had surgery and IF they removed the entire tumor, her chances of living a few years is much greater than if they could only debulk it. I've not known any with gbm that temodar worked on for long. They usually end up in clinical trials. PCV and/or avastin seems to give a little more time... 
I was on temodar while getting rads for 6 weeks. Lost hair where rad**** thyroid swelled because it wa**** with rads, so my risk of thyroid cancer just increased. I have a spot on my head where surgery was that hair won't regrow. Temodar after rads was a much higher dose and made me extreeeemly fatigued. Many patients' blood panels drop and chemo has to be postponed, but mine was always normal. Zofran was a lifesaver for me. I just took it before my chemo and never threw up once. I ran out and forgot to refill my zofran once, so I took another anti nausea and threw up for 5 hours straight. This September 1 will be my 2 yr anniversary since my surgery. 

Most Active