Pet Scan after WLS

seasheleyes
on 8/31/10 4:00 pm - Manteca, CA
I'm a breast cancer survivor that has RNY 6 months after my last treatment which was 3 years ago. Now I'm faced with needing a PET Scan to find out if the cancer has metastasized to my spine. I'm wondering about the sugar in the dye mixture. Will it make me sick? I can't tolerate much sugar and I'm worried about throwing up during the scan. Not only does the sugar make me nauseated but the fear of metastasis has me sick to my stomach too.
Julia
Mona V.
on 9/9/10 5:18 am - Lexington, KY
 Hello Julia

I pray everything is okay with you. I had triple negative breast cancer in 2008 and going in for RNY this month. I'm sorry I can not answer your question. Please let me know how you do with everything and the results. I will be praying for you.

Take care
Mona
Mona V.
on 9/15/10 12:42 pm - Lexington, KY
 I was able to ask my doctor about the "sugar" in the pet scan, and since it is going in a IV it will not effect us. (Or so they say) I also asked at my oncologist and they said the same. I hope this helps. Please let me know how you're doing

Mona
CAdagun1
on 2/13/11 9:33 am - CA
Hello Mona,

I too had a lumpectomy for triple negative breast cancer, stage 1, BRCA 2+.  I wish you many blessings<

Carla
AngelaEsq
on 9/16/10 1:49 am - Toms River, NJ
The PET scan injection will not make you sick. I am like you. I have cancer (Lymphoma) and was worried, but there was no reaction. 

Angela
seasheleyes
on 9/16/10 3:04 am - Manteca, CA
Thank you Angela- my PET scan was cancelled, but now it is probably going to be needed after all. I just wish they would put me to sleep, work me up, then wake me to tell me what the hell this is- cancer or no... the waiting is torturous. But thank you for responding- at least I won't worry about getting sick from the injection.
Julia
Mona V.
on 9/24/10 12:44 am - Lexington, KY
 Keep us posted on how you are doing. I have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks
Mona
tiamarie
on 10/6/10 4:12 am - CA
hi

I'm going thru the same thing.  I had breast cancer 1 year ago, grade 1, caught very early.  I went thru the radiation and took tamoxifen.  I have been have this pain in my shoulder for sometime and when I mention to the doctors they thought nothing about it, basicly told me to take a pill.  Well, here I am 1 year later, doctor order a bone scan, MRI and a PET Scan.  The yellow stuff I had to drink was bad tasting at all.  I think they told me it was crystal light.   It didn't make me sick at all.   Well, it turns out I Do have cancer in the spine, doctor don 't know where it came from.  Now I'm waiting to have biopsys done. 
Most Active