carcinoid tumor in esophagus

Meg_S
on 8/14/10 4:37 am - Natick, MA

My RNY was supposed to be Aug 23 but when my gall bladder was removed July 22 the surgeon did an EGD at the same time and found a nodule in my esophagus. I had it biopsied this past Tuesday and results really didn't tell much. I have to have an esophageal ultrasound this Tuesday Aug 17 to see how deep it goes and most likely to get more of a biopsy. The doctor who did the biopsy says that it's very small and thinks it's probably benign but can't be sure until more tests and I'll most likely have to have the tumor removed. How long will this push out my RNY? Anyone else out there with this same thing? How did it turn out? Was it benign or malignant? Did they end up finding more than the one tumor?

Meg

Victorious_one
on 8/16/10 12:27 pm - South Central, PA
Are they doing an ultrasound-guided biopsy on you tomorrow?  If they do, they should have a result for you this week.  Your RnY surgeon can decide from there about whether your surgery can go forward.

If you don't get a biopsy on the 17th, I'm sure you'll have to wait on your RnY until they get a definitive diagnosis.

Hang in there...I hope everything turns out fine for you and that it's benign. 
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
David147
on 7/3/15 3:57 am

It really depends on the location, presentaton and cir****tances surrounding the diagnosis. For example, if it is incidentally discovered with apendicitis - carcinoid of the appendix- surgical resection may be all that is needed. In other organ systems, the treatments vary along a broad range. 

If you or a friend has this diagnosis, it is the physicians sworn duty to help you understand the disease and its treatment as it relates to the specific situation. Don't let docs forget that.

Meg_S
on 8/16/10 11:02 pm - Natick, MA

I think they are as I am scheduled for 90 minutes today. I hope I am completely out for this, I am pretty nervous both of the ultrasound as well as the results.

Meg

Most Active