Anyone with reconstruction after mammosite radiation?

corky1057
on 11/9/09 12:29 pm - Holland, TX
I was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago. I had a lumpectomy and mammosite radiation. I also eventually had 3 more biopsies, 2 in the original cancer breast and one in the other. I am very uneven now and am finally ready to have some reconstruction on my breasts after my 134 lb weight loss.

The question is...has anyone else had a breast life and augmentation after mammosite? I have seen 4 different plastic surgeons. Three of them barely spent 10 minutes talking to me. The one who spent a LOT of time with me is wanting to be VERY conservative about lifting the breast. He will do an augmentation, but seems very hesitant about wanting to do any more cutting. He is worried about healing after mammosite. He also happens to not be familiar with the mammosite, since he is in a different town and hospital from where the mammosite was done.

I really like this doctor, but am afraid I may not end up with the results I want. Has any one else dealt with this same issue? Was your plastic surgeon concerned with healing issues?

Right now I have a surgery date of Nov. 20. I am second guessing myself. Thank you for your help. This is weighing heavily on my mind!

(((HUGS))) Mary      Pink RibbonSurvivor 

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

StarWish624
on 11/18/09 6:24 am - Bakersfield, CA
  I had my plastic surgery consultation just yesterday. I got the same song-n-dance about the Dr. worrying about healing after having had radiation.  I have waited a year after the last rad. treatment. Surely I have healed by now. BUT, perhaps they are worried that radiated skin responds DIFFERENTLY than "healthy" skin.  WHY don't the Dr's. just explain their reasons better to us????
 I just contacted my Dr about this. Could you do this, too?  Good luck, and Best Wishes!!!

corky1057
on 11/18/09 8:25 am - Holland, TX
What the plastic surgeons are concerned about is how the radiated skin will heal after plastics. It is at a much higher risk of not healing and getting infections.

Consequently, my plastic surgeon will be very conservative. No more cutting than absolutely necessary. I will be going ahead and having plastics done this Friday.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Victorious_one
on 12/5/09 5:14 am - South Central, PA
It looks like you're doing well with your weight loss.  Congrats!

I had breast cancer 4 years ago, and am very strongly considering a prophylactic double mast with recon after WLS.  I had a lumpectomy and radiation as well, but not mammosite (I got 'old school dosing').

Is you doctor concerned that you won't heal after mastectomy because of the cutting; or is his concern with the implant???  Especially if you've had biopsies on the radiated breast AFTER radiation, then what's the deal???

I hope you're able to work it out.  Let us know how it goes.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
corky1057
on 12/17/09 2:29 am - Holland, TX
Thanks for you post! I actually just had, 3 weeks ago, my breast surgery. I had a lift on the non radiated side and implants in both sides. the Dr was concerned about the incisions healing after radiation. He wanted to do as little cutting on the radiated breast as possible. He placed the implant in front of the muscle because he felt my muscle may not be healthy as it should be. Encapsulation of the implant is also a concern. I have to do lots of massaging of the breasts. I have had lots of scar tissue form after subsequent biopsies.

What he explained to me is that massive weight loss patients tend to have a much greater chance of complications with healing, then add the radiation to that, and he was very concerned. As it turns out I have done exceptionally well.

I ended up having the breast surgery and a lower body lift at the same time. Now THAT was tough. The surgery took 7 hours and I am still recuperating, although not very patient! The only tiny issue I have had is my new bellybutton keeps draining and he can't take the stitches out there. All my other stitches were dissolvable and look great. The Dr is VERY relieved that I have such a tiny problem.

Good luck with your decision. It is hard to make I know. I thought about what I would do for the last 3 years.

All the best,
Mary

Most Active