About Mammograms following weightloss?

wenklebe
on 8/24/09 11:45 pm - WI
 I had GBS in 2006 and have lost and maintained my weight at around 160.  Obviously my large breasts are now large hanging sacks of skin...  I am almost 36 and had some odd discharge from one breast (blue/green color).  I do have one small lump deep in my breast.  It difficult to examine and feel due to the condition of my breasts since weight loss.  I had a mammogram in which the tech spread my tissues etc, but there was no discomfort or pain. She even commented that I wasn't complaining at all.  I am afraid that she did not actually get images of my breast tissue...  This was my first mammogram so I don't know what I should have expected, but I know that my actual breast tissue is not much... I had  consulted with a PS about reduction and was told that I would have to have implants because the removal of skin/fat tissue would leave me with pretty much nothing.  The thinner women in my family do not have large breasts (As maybe Bs) very small...  Mine were large due to being overweight.

The results of the mammogram showed normal, so now I am waiting to hear from my doctor.  Should I push for further testing?  Is this what a mammogram should feel like to those of us with pendulous breasts?  Or is it possible that they did not actually image my breasts?
Terry45
on 8/25/09 12:09 am
I go for mammograms twice a year due to a family history of breast cancer. The discharge you have is quite normal as long as there is no pain invovled. The milk glands secret the discharge and for some women they have the most discharge during thier menstrating cycle. (I started to have discharge after my duaghter was born 18 years ago and to this day have some now and again. I was told that if it becomes painful then to immediately come and see the doctor as thier could be an gland infection and antibiotics will be given but other then that not to worry.) Keep your breasts as clean and dry as possible and always check to make sure there are no dry cracks or fissures in the nipple as that is where an infection would start.
Mammograms are very highly effective but a doctor's exam is always a good follow up..but trust me if they saw something they would be dragging you back for more testing...My doctor usually gets a copy of the mammogram and we look at it together...Don't get spooked as from now on you should get a mammogram every year.
Women have foght for a long time to have good health care and equal to men, the mammogram is the best health protection we have for any form of breast disease. Congratulate yourself for taking this step towards wellness and health.
wenklebe
on 8/25/09 12:26 am - WI
Yes I understand some discharge is normal... I normally have milky or clear...  But this was a bright blue like the color of the ocean in pictures...  As for pain, I always have breast pain... it comes from stuffing very large breasts (remainder of Fs) into a B cup all the time so I can look normal.  I am just wondering if the mammogram was adequate or if the tech didn't actually get images of my whole breasts?
Terry45
on 8/25/09 2:50 am
 Yup sky blue is the colour...strange but normal. If the mammagram does not get the whole breast and the doctor is not satisfied as to the results he will definitely send you back for a repeat. The camera apparatus does a wide angle shot as does the plate your breast was on. The technicians get reall hell if they don't do it right which is why they manipulate us until they get the right shots. I have even had two women wrestle me down to get the shots and my breast was like a flattened load of bread at the end of it.....

Your doctor will advise you but most likely they got a beautiful shot of your girls!

CHVLADY
on 10/4/09 1:19 pm
 It is so scary to have lumps in your breast that you are told are "normal" but your concerns remain.  Particularly when there is a discharge present in addition to the lump.  There are a number of things they can do to ease your mind and I suggest advocating for your  peace of mind.  If the lump is palpable I strongly suggest you have your doctor locate the lump and make sure that he/she feels it. Breast cancer lumps have a distinct feel when compared to fibrous tissue and most docs are trained to detect those differences.  When the doctor has felt the lump you should ask for the following tests in the order I have listed until you feel peace of mind.
 1)  you can have an ultrasound of your breast (these are routine and done whenever there are questionable results following a mammogram.  That would include not seeing anything when there is a palpable lump.
 2) you can have an MRI of your breast (very accurate even in very dense breast tissue) You lay on your stomach on a piece of "foam'  which has nice holes cut out for the girls to hang into during the MRI.  They can see EVERYTHING in the MRI.  If you have this test done, ask to see the shots before you leave-they are clear and you can TELL what you are looking at.
 3) you can have a needle aspiration biopsy which can be done if the lump is palpable
 4) you can have a breast biopsy during which the lump is removed and tested for abnormal cells.

I have had all of the above tests and they have all been negative for cancer, but so worth the peace of mind since I do have family breast cancer history.

Good luck and always remember to advocate for yourself even if it is just peace of mind.

corky1057
on 10/10/09 9:31 am - Holland, TX

As a breast cancer survivor and a huge advocate of mammograms (that's what saved my life) I can tell you that your mammo was sent to a radiologist to look at. They will know if the films are good. Most likely they wouldn't have even let you leave without good pics. It is reasonable to be concerned. You will have to learn how your breasts feel all over again. Right after a mammo is a good time to do that. That way you will know any lumps and bumps that were checked out are normal. My mammo's have never hurt. They don't need to hurt if you have a good technician.

BTW...I am talking to PS right now and was also told that once the skin is removed I won't have much left without an implant. Never thought I would hear those words after my original 46DDD's.

(((HUGS))) Mary      Pink RibbonSurvivor 

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

Victorious_one
on 12/5/09 5:19 am - South Central, PA

When I was 37, a mammogram missed a 1.5cm solid tumor in my breast that turned out to be cancer.

I don't say that to scare anyone, I say it as an advocate.

NO WOMAN WHO IS PRE-MENOPAUSAL SHOULD RELY ON MAMMOGRAPHY ALONE FOR DETECTION OF CANCER.

Always get it backed up with an ultrasound, or ask your doctor to order an MRI for you.  If you feel a lump, you can have it biopsied.  That is the only way to tell for sure if it's cancerous.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Jagator88
on 6/6/10 4:32 am, edited 6/6/10 4:33 am - Jacksonville, FL
On December 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM Pacific Time, Victorious_one wrote:

When I was 37, a mammogram missed a 1.5cm solid tumor in my breast that turned out to be cancer.

I don't say that to scare anyone, I say it as an advocate.

NO WOMAN WHO IS PRE-MENOPAUSAL SHOULD RELY ON MAMMOGRAPHY ALONE FOR DETECTION OF CANCER.

Always get it backed up with an ultrasound, or ask your doctor to order an MRI for you.  If you feel a lump, you can have it biopsied.  That is the only way to tell for sure if it's cancerous.

I had a mammogram that detected 2 places. Ultrasound, MRI w/ contrast and 2 biopsies said atypical but no cancer. I elected to have a bi-lateral mastectomey based on family history. 2 days after the mastectomy it was deterimned I have cancer. General surgeon is analyzing all the tests to see who dropped the ball!
5' 7" 244/95/125 SW/CW/GW
VSG by Dr. Miguel Zapata on 06/04/2009
Monterrey, MX
Hayley                    

janielynne
on 3/6/11 12:53 pm
If you are feeling anything in your breast, you have to tell the tech..Discharge as well.  With that being said, you will need a diagnostic exam.  this means that the Radiologist is there at the time of the exam. He/She will decide what all you need.  Anything palpable will mean mammogram and a ultrasound of that area at the very least.

If you did NOT tell them at the time of your exam, you need to call  your doctor.  You will need further work up. 
SkyQueen
on 5/3/11 2:50 am - CO
 Did you ever have your breasts ultrasounded??? If not, ask your Dr. to put in a order for that. When I thought I had a supeccious lump thats the first thing they wanted to do. Best of luck. I know it must be nerve racking!

Most Active