choosing lap band or roux en y

Michele L.
on 1/19/09 7:59 am - Old Bridge, NJ
I went for consult with one of MD's for roux en y but given hx of prior cancer and fact that I have BRCA2 gene recommended a lap band. Anyone out there lap a band or roux en y. Had experienced difficulties with post weight loss cancer and problems with roux en Y. Difficulty with weight loss? A reply would be appreciated.  
Michele
Victorious_one
on 1/28/09 2:34 am - South Central, PA
Did the doctor say why he recommended one over the other? 

My understanding of WLS is that the differences are based on the person.  How risk-averse are you?  What's your dieting personality?  Do you want something reversible? People have stressed that a person is either appropriate for WLS or not, and the particular type of surgery should be up to the patient.  I agree.

Is he expecting cancer to come back for you, or feeling like you may need a reversal to be treated in the future?  Anything can happen to anyone in the future--if that's the case, everyone should have something that's reversible because who knows what will happen!

I'd get other opinions ifyou're not comfortable with the band.  The band also has the lowest success rate in terms of keeping the weight off in the longer term, something to consider.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Michele L.
on 1/28/09 9:14 am - Old Bridge, NJ
I think my own concern re cancer coming back lead to recommendation. I'm a little worried re high fat food binges and band not being enough to stop this. As for dieting personality, lately I've hit my 12 month slump when I lose my zeal.
I guess given brca it is a risk of reoccurance and the thought being if I became cachetic LOL a band would be reversible. My plan is to have prophylactic mastectomy and reconstruction bilateral after surgery. I don't think I can deal with body image issues until i have lost weight then losing my last piece of feminity the remaining breast would be a much more doable thing. I will have a discussion withmy oncologist next month and go through cardiologist and gastroenterologist EGD. Thanks for the reply. I love this surgeon and it makes me think that perhaps other surgeon who said yes to roux en y wasn't as thorough in reading my medical history

Michele
SoonSkinnyDonna
on 7/24/10 5:48 am - Dana Point, CA
My husband and I both have had a VSG vertical sleeve and it is the best in my opinion....go check it out - none of the problems the other surgeries have
SoonSkinnyDonna

HW 255 SW 240 CW 158
-- & lookin good! next goal - no flabby skin?

Most Active