cancer after weight loss...please read and advice

Michelle_R
on 11/16/08 8:31 am
I had my surgery July 2006.  My weight was 219. After surgery I got down to 118! I did gain a few pounds. I fluctuate between 122-125 at 5'4. Up till 2 months ago I have been on cloud nine with my weight! I found out I had cervical cancer (my mom died from cervical cancer when I was 18............20 yrs ago) I am now a proud mother of three (12,9, and 6). I had a complete radical hysterectomy last week. I am in a lot of pain, scared .....I hope they removed all the cancer cells.
Can someone please tell me if anyone has gone through or knows someone or even if you are an expert in this area.....ect ........has gained weight back. I know I should be happy to have my life and be around for my family "fat or thin" but I just thought I would learn from others. Thankyou for all for reading! I find out on Tuesday about if all the cancer was removed and what the next steps are.  Thanks And Bless You All!
kat87120
on 11/17/08 12:54 am - Albuquerque, NM
Michelle, God bless you.  I am a two time cancer survivor (both prior to WLS), however, neither one of the cancers were cervical.  I battled colo-rectal cancer in 2003 and vaginal cancer along with squameous cell in my lymph nodes and pelvic area in 2004.  I wish I had the information you are looking for but I do not.  What I do have are tons and tons of thoughts and prayers going your way.  Please try to stay positive and if there is anything in the world I can do to help you through this difficult time, please, let me know.

Katherine

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

Kathleen O.
on 11/30/08 7:23 am - Maineville, OH
Michelle, my heart goes out to you.

I too had my RNY in 2006, mine was May 15th.  I started at 390 and was down to 179 when I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer of unknown origin in September of this year.  My oncologist wants me to eat as much as I can so I don't lose weight.  Since my stomach is small, I'm not eating as much as she would like, but I'm doing what I can to maintain muscle mass.

I had a bad problem with lymphedema in the beginning.  (It's what got me to the doctor finally.)  I gained 35 pounds in three weeks, all liquid.  Because of my doctor, a local lymphedema clinic and the local medical supply store, I've been able to lose the liquid, but my strength and stamina have been affected.  I'm slowly getting my life back and am concentrating on working on this as the cancer is out of my control.

Bottom line on weight is, I think...you have to do what you can to beat the cancer.  Worry about gaining weight later.

God bless and fight the good fight, one day at a time.

Kathleen

SmileyCentral.com">a> 
Kathleen, Queen of Cool

Jo N.
on 12/17/08 5:37 am - Crawfordsville, IN

I had my WLS August of 2005. During my pregnancy in 2007 they found out I had cervical cancer. Of course no treatment would be available until I delivered my son in September 2007. In December 2007 I had a conoscopy to determine the depth of the cancer. I ended up in Feb 2008 having a total complete hysteroctomy including removal of my ovaries (I had PCOS so might as well remove them). During the hysto it was discoverd that I actually had undetected uterine cancer that had metastased unto my cervic and outside the uterine cavity thru tissue upto my bladder. I was dangerously close to having cancer in my bladder. Of course my cervical lymphnodes came back positve for cancer, however my abdominal came back negative. In April I started Chemo (Once a week) and radiation (every day interally and externally) intil mid June. I have had a few problems maintaining my weight previous to my pregnancy and then cancer. See, while having chemo and radiation they really pressure you into eating anything to either keep your weight or gain weight during treatments. This has carried over after treatments so it's like I"m almost right back to the begining as if I just had surgery. Luckily, I had the lapband so I can restart fills and find the right restriction to help me loose these last 25 lbs. 

As of November's testing I'm cancer free and hope to remain so for a very long time. 

Blessings
Jodi 

Five+ YEARS WITH THE LAP-BAND( 8/31/05)
Highest Weight: 317/Surgery Weight: 267/Lowest Weight: 148
Currently Filled 1.4cc in a 4 cc band APBand
Panniculectomy w/psudeo TT proformed by Dr Bergman 10/8/2009
Need Help With Success? Read a Geneen Roth Book. "When Food Is Love!"

kmccrary
on 12/17/08 6:38 am
I am a cancer survivor - 3 years this month.  I had my surgery this summer so I can't say how it will work for you, but my doctor was very insistent that I not lose weight while I was doing radiation and chemo.  I don't know if I can do this or not, but I found a wonderful website that I joined (free) that helped me deal with my gynecological cancer.  Please feel free to check it out as you will find incredible support and a ton of information that you can use to help you with your treatment.  It is [email protected].  Please feel free to PM if you need any other information.

Kim

alexrichiemama
on 12/18/08 6:41 am
Hi Michelle,

I was just wondering how you were doing.  I have been praying for you.

Thanks,
Heidi

StarWish624
on 1/15/09 2:47 am, edited 1/15/09 2:51 am - Bakersfield, CA
   Hi, I just finished my treatments (Chemo. and Rads.) about 6 weeks ago for breast cancer. During the Chemo., they gave me meds to help ease the nausea, which contained steroids. This can  (and did in my case) cause weight gain - BUT - I have now lost the gained weight, and have lost 6 lbs. more to boot. Just stay on the program.
  A wonderful aspect of having RNY, and being on the eating program, is that my Dr. said that this is the diet that they try to get EVERYONE to go on (high protein, low carbs.) to aid in their healing. But, since weight-loss patients are already on this diet, it is no transition for us. Our bodies are in prime condition to heal. So, it is easier for us to get through the ordeal.
 My weight pre-RNY (Nov. 12, 2003) was 309. When I started my cancer treatments in March, 2008, it was 168, and now, it is 134 (with the 6 lbs. loss this last month) at 5'5". A good hint: nutrition drinks REALLY are good for getting the body replenished (even when you don't feel like eating, drink a protein drink).
  Just try to keep up with your protein and water, and you will do fine. 
  If you want to  talk: [email protected]

kschroeder
on 7/23/09 8:29 pm
Thank you for posting this.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday and had the same questions.  I feel much better!

Kristen
diane93
on 11/6/09 5:55 am - FL
I had the lap band done in November of 2007 and wound up with having to have my gallbladder out in October of 2008.  They removed the fluid from my band and I started the filling process all over again.  I was almost at my sweet spot when I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer Stage I.  I had a total hysterectomy on l0/ 2009 with the DaVinci robot.  The good news was that there were no lymph nodes involved and that I wouldn't need chemo or radiation.  The bad news was that the tube to my lap band was severed during surgery and I will have to undergo surgery to have it reconnected.  I have been gaining weight back and can't wait to have my band working again so that I can use it to lose weight.  I still have far to go.

I wish you good luck with your treatment.  You have lost a lot of weight and your job now is to keep yourself strong in mind and spirit to be there for yourself and your family. They will love you whether you are fat or thin.  I am hoping you got good news from your doctor.
Most Active