Cancer in remission 4 years... still hard to get approved

blk_butterfly
on 5/28/08 6:35 am - Greenbelt, MD

I went through every test/appt and my oncologist will not sign off on my surgery.  Eventhough I discussed this with him years ago. He is concerned I may have a recurrence after losing alot of weight and will have a hard time with cancer treatment.  I then asked to be considered for the LapBand.  All I need is his ok... and I can't get it.....

Anyone can have the surgery and be diagnosed afterwards.... He says I have a 10-20% chance of recurrence .....

I am so disappointed.....

What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly. - Richard Bach

kat87120
on 5/28/08 10:38 am - Albuquerque, NM
Butterfly, I am so sorry about your situation.  Do you mind if I ask what kind of cancer you went through?  I have been in remission for just over three years and all of my oncologist supported my decision for WLS.  Because I am not at the five year mark for being cancer free I was very surprised (but very happy!) that my insurance approved the surgery.  Speaking from experience I know the bond that you no doubt have with your oncologist but perhaps a second opinion may be in order.  Not to say I doubt your primary oncologist but if he sees the view point of a fellow oncologist maybe he will re-evalutate your situatation and give you the okay.  I went through colo-rectal cancer in July, 2003 and then cancer in my pelvic area, several lymph nodes and vaginal cancer in July, 2004.   Best of luck and keep us informed.... you will be in my thoughts and wishing you the very best! Katherine

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

blk_butterfly
on 5/29/08 12:17 am - Greenbelt, MD

I had breast cancer in 2002 and Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2004 ..... My oncologist was on board, until he was asked to give me the OK LOL... I had been trying for two years and talked to him before starting the process.

He said he lost a patient who had the Gastric By-pass and was not able to handle chemotherapy treatment. This is why I am now pursuing the band..... my understanding is that the weight loss is not as rapid and malnutrition is not as much of a concern. He says I have a 10-20% chance of recurrence.... but I am also experience high blood pressure, joint pains, high cholesterol and let's not forget the toll on my heart from previous chemo treatments.

I am considering pursuing a second opinion..... I just don't want to feel as though I am disrespecting my Oncologist by doing this. I really need this help to lose weight....  THANK YOU!!!

What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly. - Richard Bach

blk_butterfly
on 5/29/08 12:23 am - Greenbelt, MD

I had breast cancer in 2002 and Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2004 ..... My oncologist was on board, until he was asked to give me the OK LOL... I had been trying for two years and talked to him before starting the process.

He said he lost a patient who had the Gastric By-pass and was not able to handle chemotherapy treatment. This is why I am now pursuing the band..... my understanding is that the weight loss is not as rapid and malnutrition is not as much of a concern. He says I have a 10-20% chance of recurrence.... but I am also experience high blood pressure, joint pains, high cholesterol and let's not forget the toll on my heart from previous chemo treatments.

I am considering pursuing a second opinion..... I just don't want to feel as though I am disrespecting my Oncologist by doing this. I really need this help to lose weight....

cheynne03
on 7/16/08 5:56 am - West Monroe, LA
Butterfly, ask you doctor to research the lap band more.  It does not have the ill effects that RNY or Gastric Bypass does.  There is not rearranging of the internal organs, no malabsorption, and if need be the band can be completely unfilled to allow for more food intake for more vitamin nutrition.  I cant see how he can compare the two surgeries.  I mean no disrespect to anyone having had the other types of surgery.

Theresa

S 254/C168/G150   
          "Patience is the companion of wisdom."  St. Augustine

marylin99
on 6/7/08 9:54 am - MO
Sorry I am of no help to you, they found out I had cancer after I had WLS.  I didn't have RNY I had the DS and it's are really good thing I did to.  I just found out that I have to take asprin everyday because now they have found vascular disease in my brain.  (and they told me all the time I didn't have any brains)  I haven't had to have any radiation or chemo either one after I had colon resection, and with the DS I am able to eat pretty normally.  I am 2 yrs out so I eat really normal for the most part. Protein first and then what ever else I want.  I wish you much luck and it won't hurt to get a second opinion, I have been going over 300 miles to WL doc and cancer doc, but this Aug. is my last trip I am transfering everything here at home.  I am hoping this is the right decision, with the way the econmany is now I just have to do it.  Wish you nothing but the best and hope things work out for you. Marylin
Bern
on 7/24/08 4:14 am
Hi Butterfly,

When I had my RNY, my PRIMARY Doctor signed off for my surgery.....granted I did not have an oncologist till after...BUT I would definitely seek the help you need to get where you want to be. It it DAMN PATERNALISTIC of a Dr. to decide "what is best for you" as if you don't have the ultimate right. I do believe my primary is thrilled to see how RNY has improved my health and life.
     I had surgery 6/21/07. Biopsy positive 7/30/07 & chemo began mid- September.
I have had 8 rounds of chemo, surgery, and radiation and I strongly feel having gotten off 100 pounds helped me cope better with my illness.

So hang in there!!!!
Best wishes,
Bernadette

Victorious_one
on 8/19/08 5:41 pm - South Central, PA
Gimme a break!  My brother did full rounds of chemo when he was diagnosed with Hodgkins.  He was about 18 months out of having his RNY.  He did fine and now he's cancer-free.

I'd say get another oncologist!!!!

PS - I'm a breast cancer survivor, too, and I know the pressure I feel to get thin to reduce the likelihood of recurrence.  You NEED this!
Littleway
on 4/8/09 3:55 am
I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2006 when I was going through the pre-op testing for a lapband.  I had to cancel my band surgery and start chemo.  My cancer was caught early thanks to my WLS tests and now, less than three years later, I have the green-light from both my oncologist and PCP for WLS.  Rather than the band, I have now decided to go with a VSG - since I do not want to deal with a foreign body.  I chose VSG since it has good success and I do not have to deal with malabsorption issues.  This is my personal choice only and I wish you the best success with whatever bariatric surgery you choose.  Perhaps you could get a second opinion from a different oncologist.  Hodgkin's Lymphoma has a high cure rate and after 5 years of having clean scans it generally is no longer even monitored.  Best of luck!
Most Active