19 days from WLS and got a call ...

Susan H.
on 4/24/08 4:26 am - Columbus, OH
I decided to go ahead and get my gyn testing done along with mamo and bone density recently.  I got a call from the nurse that the left breast needs further intensive screening.  I have always had fibroids in this breast and have gone through this drill before, but this is different this time.  I am only 19 days from having  RNY surgery after months of waiting, testing and clearances ... If it is still just the fibroids issue no worries ... but what if it is cancer?  Should I get the WLS then have whatever done with the breast issue?  If I take care of the breast first then I will have to wait to reschedule WLS which means I have to start from scratch again and get all of the clearances again, etc.   But on the other hand ... CANCER KILLS!  I am so bummed out.  I worked so hard to get this surgery.
kat87120
on 4/26/08 1:16 am - Albuquerque, NM
Engel, I am so sorry to hear your news but please try not to panic.  I know, that's easier said than done.  I have been where you are now with a few differences.  I am a two time cancer survivor, colo-rectal cancer in 2003 and vaginal cancer as well as tumors in my pelvic area and lymph nodes in 2004.  Add to that, in mid 2004 they also found a lump in my right breast that needed further screening. My WLS journey was put on hold in 2003 when my health started to fail.  I am not at all sorry I put the WLS on the back burner at that time in my life...  #1, I would not have survived the WLS and the colo-rectal major surgery.  #2, I never lost my desire, drive or commitment to get rid of this weight, a little detour just happen to fall in my path.  I am now healthly, just heavy, and back on my WLS journey.  I have gone through all but one of the pre-testings and my surgeon is looking at mid May, early June for my surgery.  PLEASE, PLEASE, do not put off having your breast issues taken care of, IMHO, that is not a wise move at all.  As for your statement that "CANCER KILLS!", yes, it does... but so doesn't stepping in front of a fast moving train.  Quite possibly your breast issue may be something as simple as a plugged milk gland or even one of the little benign tumors that most women get but you won't know unless you are checked out by a doctor.   And if it is something as simple as that, there would be no need to postpone your WLS.  Again, PLEASE have your breast issue checked out....  harsh words here but, wouldn't you rather know your breasts are find and then start your weight loss journey, or do you want to have the WLS just in time to fit in a small casket?  I know, that is terribly hard to hear, but having been down the cancer path and facing my mortality I have learned what is important to me.... living.  God speed and please know you are in my prayers.  

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

marylin99
on 4/27/08 2:22 pm - MO
I am so sorry, I don't know what to tell you.  I understand about not knowing whether to have or not to have RNY.  I think I would go by what the GYN doc says.  If he thinks you should wait then I would. That is if you know and trust him.  My WLS surgeon is who did my cancer surgery because he offered and because I trust him.  I trust him completely and know that he would only recommend what would be best for me.  I hope you have someone like that to trust.  The other thing is if you have WLS first and have to have NSAIDS or other drugs it may really hurt your tool window and you may not loose the weight after all.  I wish you nothing but the best and I hope all works out for you.  This forum is so slow if you want you can pm me anytime. Marylin
seasheleyes
on 5/21/08 2:34 pm - Manteca, CA
Hi Engel, This happened to me too- breast cancer in the right breast pre-WLS. I had to put off the WLS for 6 months to get surgery and radiation, but then I had the WLS. I'm down 90 pounds since December. The cancer was just a blip, but it couldn't be ignored. Julia
Sarah448
on 7/1/08 3:52 am - Friendswood, TX
I wasn't approved yet, but I did the same thing - decided to have a mammogram after I attended the WLS seminar and they found cancer.  It was Stage 0, DCIS so I was able to have a lumpectomy and followed up with radiation treatments.  As it was I only lost a couple of months.  Now I am cancer free and my surgery is 2 weeks from today.  Believe me, I know how you feel.  I was more upset that it was going to delay my WLS surgery than the fact that I had just been diagnosed with cancer!   I never would have found it this early as I was bad about getting regular mommo's so this surgery has already saved my life once and I haven't even had it yet. Good luck, Sarah

Most Active