melanoma and gastric bypass surgery

JOANNFV
on 2/19/08 1:07 pm - SWARTZ CREEK, MI
hi everyone,i'm new to obesity.com and don't know my way around well yet.i posted this question on regular wls forum and someone suggested this site,so here goes.i had a malignant melanoma of my left eye in oct 2005 and had to have my eye removed.luckily,the cancer was encassed in the eyeball alone and had not metastasized anywhere.i've been clear for two years.while getting worked up for gastric bypass surgery,the hospital i chose,told me at the last minute that the doctors their will not due the surgery yet,as too soon since had cancer,and due to the malabsorption factor,they feel any dormant cells could become cancerous due to info they have.they offered to do lapband only.i spoke with my doctor,and due to more health problems croping up,and already being 310 pounds,she and i both feel bypass only option to get weight off quickly.my first question is ,has anyone else been told that about having a melanoma and not being able to have bypass?or has anyone had surgery after melanoma and done well.there is another area hospital that may still perform bypass,not lap band.i see doctor in march.i would appreciate any info anyone has.at this point,i feel if i don't get significant weight off soon,i won't be able to work and health will get much worse,so am willing to risk. thanks in advance for any  info provided.  joann
Most Active