18 month Post OP and DX with Breast Cancer

miknikmom
on 3/15/07 2:14 am - Lake Forest, CA
Well on February 5 I went for my first mammogram since WLS and the PRe Op Mammogram. I was about six months late for my annual Mammogram. On February 9 it was confirmed I had Breast Cancer. All I can say is they found it and it is in a very early stage. I feel having WLS has again saved my life. Now I am going to get over this hurdle with the surgery and reconstruction for Breast cancer. You know after I lost so much weight I wanted to have my breasts lifted but the insurance would not pay for it. Now I will get the breast done and in a couple years I will pay for a tummy tuck. Diana
Laura B.
on 3/15/07 5:59 pm - Manteca, CA
Hi Diana. My mom and I were getting our pre-op tests done when we found out that she had breast cancer. She is also in the very early stages. We also feel that wls has saved her, even though she hasn't gotten it yet. I hope everything goes well for you, and good luck with your breast lift and your tummy tuck!
seasheleyes
on 3/20/07 1:12 am - Manteca, CA
It's a shocking diagnosis I know. As Laura said- I was getting pre-op tests and got the diagnosis too. We are both very lucky that the cancer was caught early.  I'm going to the breast surgeon this Friday. I guess we'll be climbing the hurdle at close to the same time. I'll be keeping good thoughts for you! Julia
Paula A.
on 4/1/07 4:40 am - San Joaquin Valley, CA

Hi Diana, I am so sorry that you have breast cancer.  I had been a survivor for 7 years. It metastisized to my bone and rt lung.  I've been on weekly chemo for 17 months now and the tumors haven't changed.  Thank the Lord.  Breast cancer is very treatable and since yours was found so early you should do great. Did you know that it is a law that not only is reconstruction will be covered, BUT ALSO that the other breast be made similar in size, placement etc.  This is in an attempt to make the woman feel as "normal" as possible.  There is a procedure called Tram Flap where the surgeon takes some belly "tissue" and tunnels it up to the site.  So you get a tummy tuck as well as a lift on the unaffected side, and of course reconstruction at the cancer site!!! Great huh!  The breast made from your own tissue looks and feels like the real thing.  I would google Tram Flap and ask your surgeon about it. God Bless, Paula

LKH
on 8/8/07 2:07 am - CO
I hate to see anyone else join the "club," but praise God you caught it early.  I had Stage IIA BC dx in late 2000.  Lumpectomy, reincision for better margins, chemo, post-op staph infection, and rads in 2001.  Cancer free ever since.  I'm now considering surgery - I think I'd prefer the VSG - and wondering how this will affect me if (God forbid) I have a recurrence or new cancer down the line.  Anyway, to encourage you, even though I had a couple setbacks, the whole thing was still MUCH easier than I had anticipated.  I only threw up TWICE in four rounds of chemo.  Everyone's different, but most people don't have much trouble with the treatments.  You get tired from the rads, but nothing you can't handle.  I used about 154 hours of leave - a week from the first surgery, another week from the 2nd, and another week from the infection.  The rest was just time off for appointments and the chemo infusions (I usually had them on Thursday and worked at home Friday, just so if I did feel sick I wouldn't have to drive, though that was never an issue.  I'd go back to work Monday without any real problem).  You'll blow through this no problem.  If you're part of a faith tradition (I'm a Christian), get yourself on prayer lists.  I am sure that made a lot of difference for me.  Take care!
suzannem
on 8/13/07 6:57 am
Hi miknikmom! I was dx with breast ca, stage I, two weeks after my husband died last year, also of cancer. I didn't know anyone here where I live (moved up here to marry him and never met anyone) and went thru the surgery and radiation all by myself while holding down a job. You CAN do it. I'm sure you have much more support than I had and the "cure" or survivor rate for early stage breast ca is very, very good, and it is getting much better for later stage breast ca. The radiation was not bad, I got tired and had some skin issues but got past them and kept on working. I didn't have chemo so I can't tell you about that but if they found it early you might not have to have chemo. I hope not. Best of luck to you and don't get discouraged. You will be a survivor like the rest of us. Suzanne
Most Active