During my pre-op tests I was diagnosed with breast cancer

seasheleyes
on 2/21/07 1:38 pm - Manteca, CA
Hi All, I was in the midst of getting my pre-operative clearances and was diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm wondering if I can still have the weight loss surgery after my treatments. Has anyone else here had the same experience?
Julia
mmcbride
on 2/22/07 5:52 am - Denison, TX
First of all, look at this way the Lap band has already saved your life and it hasn't even been installed yet!  I am a 2 1/2 year survivor of Breast Cancer and am in the final stages of being approved for lapband surgery.  My oncologist is my biggest supporter.  I have to get the weight off to avoid a reoccurance of cancer.  I had 6 weeks of radiation and my docs think I'm a perfect candidate.  Just waiting on the insurance to give the go ahead.  Good luck to you and if you have any questions as you start your journey to be a survivor, please fell free to contact me. Carla
God's Grace is Sufficient!

seasheleyes
on 2/22/07 11:25 am - Manteca, CA
Thanks Carla.  I also think that losing the weight is my best chance for not getting a reoccurance, since my cancer is estrogen sensitive. Thank you for offering support. This is definitely a wrinkle in my plans.
Paula A.
on 2/24/07 7:39 am - San Joaquin Valley, CA
I'm sorry to hear your news.  I haven't had the same experience.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer and was treated in 1998.  I had wls in 2004.  My cancer returned to my bone and right lung and was diagnosed in 2005.  I've been on chemo ever since.  I'm sure you can have wls after you've healed from your cancer treatment. It will be something to focus on and look forward to.  You'll be on 2 journeys ~ the journey to breast cancer survival, and your weight loss journey. Take care and please email me anytime you need to talk. God Bless, Paula    299/124 @5'3"
seasheleyes
on 2/26/07 3:35 pm - Manteca, CA

Oh Paula,

You have had a rough go of it. I'm so sorry. Was your breast cancer aggressive the first time? Your info says that you live in the San Joaquin Valley. I live in Manteca. That's quite a coincidence don't you think? I'm doing well with my cancer journey so far, though it feels surreal to me that I could actually be living the life of someone with cancer. I had a biopsy that removed it (they believe) but I'm going to UCSF for more treatment.  Thank you for your kind thoughts. I'm hearing that cancer can be treated and be like a chronic illness. Maybe that's what yours will be.

linda43416
on 1/21/08 2:16 pm
I had a similiar experience, but it was lung cancer, found when doing preop xray. I feel as though this surgery has already saved my life once. The tumor was small and sugically removed in april 2007. I am now scheduled for wls Feb. 12, 2008. It's been kind of a longer time frame and a few hurdles with insurance co.but here I am back where I started from! Very nervous since just going through a surgery so recently, but am excited too. It is very important to me and my health and quality of life to be able to have the surgery. I keep thinking something else will happen, but I am praying for smooth sailing for the rest of the cruise. Beat of luck to you, we really have been so fortunate and blessed already. I believe someone out there is watching over and taking care of me. Try to keep a positive attitude, it's just a small glitch in a long life.
Linda
Most Active