Breast Cancer Survivor - March 2006

Mickmouse67
on 12/10/06 3:17 pm - Portales, NM
My husband of 7 years decided to end our marriage and the summer of same year I was diagnosed with calcifications in my right breast. At that time, the hospitals here locally thought that I should just keep getting mammograms every 6 months to see if it gets bigger. ?? What the heck??? But, when I went to the VA for my 6 month checkup, they saw the calcifications and thought that it would be in my best interest to have it biopsied. Well, it showed cancer in the ducts. I had also found a lump in which they biopsied and found no cancer ~ it was just a lymph node that was swollen. At that point they decided I should have the cancerous calcifications removed. I had that done 2 months later, March 2006. After the surgery, my breast was VERY sore. I was told that was normal. They also suggested that I have radiation to ensure that there were no remaining cancerous cells. After 6 weeks of radiation, my breast was REALLY sore and I was exhausted!! It has discolored my breast & my breast is mishapen. My calcifications were very small (we caught it very early). I figured as small as it was, that it would be a simple surgery & that would be the end of it. The scar that I have is approximately 2 inches long, but has a bunch of scar tissue underneath it. The inside of my breast (not the surgery site) is hard. I have talked about this with the docs and was told that the pain & the shape & the discoloration & the hardness would all go away. It has been 8 months and it has not changed. I know they said that it takes a long time, but geez! how long? I, too, am having WLS on the 18th of this month in hopes to reduce my weight and my chances of reoccurence of the cancer. I am also on tamoxifen for the next 5 years. I don't always remember to take it, but I try. I am looking forward to living a long life. I, too, am a single mom now & I live for my 11-year old son.
mmcbride
on 12/13/06 11:47 am - Denison, TX
Hi Lisa, Your Cancer story sounds much like mine. I am 2 years out and still clear. I'm on Arimidex because I already had a hysterectomy, so the Dr. felt this was the best med for me. I know exactly what you are talking about "The Soreness" . Some days are better that others. Then the cat will walk across me, or my daughter who is at the right the height runs into me or the husbands elbow. Guess we need to look out for each other. LOL I still have discoloration, although not much. I still have a small ridge at the bottom of my breast. Normal, they say. Then about a month ago I was so so sore under my arm where they took lymph nodes. It really scared me and my dr. said it was the radiation still spreading out. Weird, how that works. He told me I graduated to once a year mamo's (boy that scares me). It works out ok though because I see the breast disease dr. in the fall and my oncologist in the spring, so I feel pretty covered. My insurance BCBS fep starts paying for the lapband in Jan 07 and I already have an appt on Jan 3. My docs so far think I'm an excellent candidate especially with a history of breast cancer. Well guess I stop rambling. Good Luck to you and we will win this race against Breast Cancer and this extra weight!
Mickmouse67
on 12/13/06 2:21 pm - Portales, NM
Congratulations for the all clear!! I am still waiting to have another mammogram. The VA scheduled me for an appointment, but didn't notify me that they had one scheduled. The oncologist told me that I only needed them 1x a year. I thought that was odd, but ok. After I get through this whole WLS thing, I will return for another one and hopefully get the all clear. Thanks for telling me your story, it is nice to know that I am not the only one out there with pain left over from the surgery/radiation. I am just tired of getting told that it is just inflamation though. I feel that as small of an area that they "should" have taken out, shouldn't make me sore all over that side. The discoloration doesn't bother me too bad, it just looks like I laid out in the sun with only that side exposed. LOL I was also told that the radiation keeps on working for months after you stop. That is strange. Keep me informed on your surgery. I go in on Monday for the LAP RNY. For me, that was the better choice. I couldn't keep taking off work 2 days everytime that I needed a fill (because I have to drive from NM). I am looking forward to our race - we definitely can beat this!!!
David147
on 7/3/15 11:00 pm

I know a woman who was diagnosed with severe breast cancer. I'm not sure what stage... but she went through chemo and radiation. She was so positive though. She beat it after a couple eyars of fighting. It hasn't come back, thank goodness.

Most Active